Dual Suspension 29ers around the $2500 mark

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Dual Suspension 29ers around the $2500 mark

Postby ferds87 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi All,

I've been doing a heap of road riding recently but I'm itching to get out onto the trails with my mates - so I'm looking to buy a 29er dualie early next year with a budget of around $2500 or so.

I've never owned a dual suspension bike, so any advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

About me - I'm 25 years old, 165cm and relatively fit. Because I'm quite light I've been told that a bike with about 4 inches of travel would be suitable for me.

I've taken a look and was recommended the 2013 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 by two of my local bike shops. A few of my mates also ride higher spec Anthems and rate them highly. They retails at $2699. I didn't get to test ride this model because the shop didn't have my size in stock.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.1/12065/57347/

I was also shown and test rode the 2013 Norco Fluid 9.1. RRP $2599
http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/marathon/fluid-9/

This bike really caught my eye as it has some awesome specifications for the price, looks good and felt really nice to ride. The sales guys were rating the Fluid quite highly and said it gives the Anthem a run for its money but I'd never heard of Norco before yesterday though so if any of you guys out there have had experience with them it'd be great to know how they are!

Just wondering if there any other suggestions that I should take a look at that suit my needs and budget?
ferds87

by BNA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm

BNA

Re: Dual Suspension 29ers around the $2500 mark

Postby sblack » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm

The Trek Superfly 100 AL may also be worth a look.
sblack

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:59 am

I bought an anthem x0 for 2500. ;)

Only downside is the wheels are a little heavy. The do shocks on mine don't real lockout effectively but not everyone seems to take issue with that.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby m@ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:26 am

The Anthem 29er is an awesome bike - I also have the 0 but upgraded the brakes to XT. Last year's Giant "factory backed" sale was around Feb/March so maybe worth waiting for that if possible. Otherwise you should still be able to wrangle a discount on RRP if paying cash but will have to work harder for a smaller discount ;)

Don't rule out a longer travel bike, if the Trance 29er was around last year I'd probably be on one of those. Giant have a great test ride program so if there's another giant shop in your area with more test bikes it would be well worthwhile taking the contenders out for a spin.
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 am

ferds87 wrote:...snip...

About me - I'm 25 years old, 165cm and relatively fit. Because I'm quite light I've been told that a bike with about 4 inches of travel would be suitable for me.

...snip... The sales guys were rating the Fluid quite highly and said it gives the Anthem a run for its money but I'd never heard of Norco before yesterday though so if any of you guys out there have had experience with them it'd be great to know how they are!

..snip...

"Amount of suspension travel" ie bike style depends on style and terrain ridden not body weight size. If you ride mainly XC than buy an Anthem more All mountain/trail than a Trance even more downhill then a Reign or a Glory.

Norco Performance Bikes

16 Years of Suspension – A Brief History

Norco great Canadian brand. Like many brands not carried in a lot of shops in Australia. Some of there downhill bikes are very good and very good value for money.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby ferds87 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll check out the Trek Superfly and hopefully get to test ride an anthem a few others later next month and I'll make a decision from there! :D
ferds87

Postby _mike_ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:59 pm

The Giant Reign is an awesome machine for trail work / xc tracks. For me i prefer the added stability from the slightly slacker head angle & the extra travel suspension soaks up the bumps better than an XC oriented bike. Overall more 'fun' to ride. The 'motor' is what counts if you think it'll slow you down. Glory is too 'downhill' oriented. The amount of pressure in your shocks is dependent on your weight

29" wheels just dont 'look' right but thats just me :)
_mike_

Postby ferds87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:15 pm

So after a bit of shopping around I ended up going with the Norco Fluid 9.1, my older brother ended up coming bike shopping with me on the day and ended up getting Giant Anthem x 29er1 as well!! We took them out to the Oaks fire trail the very next day and got them nice and dirty! :)

ferds87

Return to Buying a bike / parts