Help me pick - Tcr vs Corsa vs S2 vs Reacto vs Foil

merlin6014

Re: Help me pick - Tcr vs Corsa vs S2 vs Reacto vs Foil

Postby merlin6014 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:10 pm

jheeno wrote:
merlin6014 wrote:Hey guys thought I would update this thread with how the Foil actually performs as I hate reading threads with no outcome.

There is a bunch of courses I do on Strava but one in particular is a 20km sprint which I have done many times (say over 30 times) .

I have now done it twice on the Scott to get a decent average and compared with my prior bike (2012 Avanti Giro 3) with no other changes (same conditions ect) I have picked up 3-4 minutes over 20km's )and about 3 to 6km/h on my average speed which has brought me into the top 10 (was sitting about 150 before) which I am very happy with. Still shopping for wheels (the stock R501-30s weigh 2001g!), I think with the right wheels this bike will be a beast.

The handling, stiffness, looks everything is great, very happy!
heres some wheels motivation from a fellow scott foil owner

anyway the point of my reply was that what you said above - was the exact feeling I had when I first got my bike and started to push it and myself for the first month I had it. Well ... I still do though.
Good choice.
Thnx mate, nice wheels btw - reynolds 46 if im not mistaken?

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm

merlin6014 wrote:
jheeno wrote:
merlin6014 wrote:Hey guys thought I would update this thread with how the Foil actually performs as I hate reading threads with no outcome.

There is a bunch of courses I do on Strava but one in particular is a 20km sprint which I have done many times (say over 30 times) .

I have now done it twice on the Scott to get a decent average and compared with my prior bike (2012 Avanti Giro 3) with no other changes (same conditions ect) I have picked up 3-4 minutes over 20km's )and about 3 to 6km/h on my average speed which has brought me into the top 10 (was sitting about 150 before) which I am very happy with. Still shopping for wheels (the stock R501-30s weigh 2001g!), I think with the right wheels this bike will be a beast.

The handling, stiffness, looks everything is great, very happy!
heres some wheels motivation from a fellow scott foil owner
[
anyway the point of my reply was that what you said above - was the exact feeling I had when I first got my bike and started to push it and myself for the first month I had it. Well ... I still do though.
Good choice.
Thnx mate, nice wheels btw - reynolds 46 if im not mistaken?
Certainly is - wanted to be a bit different

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:16 pm

adamr wrote:
merlin6014 wrote: i dont mind the look of the corsa but no reviews anywhere that i can find so bit hesitant to buy.
I tested a Corsa DR4 for an hour and a half yesterday. I rode it from Adelaide down to Glenelg, then hooked onto the back of the BMC team on the last leg of their rest day ride. I did about 25km all up. The Corsa DR4 is the same frame shape as the DR1 (obviously), but different carbon (not sure what the difference actually is). The Corsa DR4 had full the DA9000 mechanical group and DA C50 wheels. It was awesome. Only thing I didn't like was the handlebar shape. It felt light for an aero bike - not sure of the weight, I would guess about 7.5kg. It was surprisingly smooth on the road. I felt much less of the bumps and road buzz than I felt on a Specialized Roubaix Elite that I rode later in the day. I am seriously considering the Corsa DR1 or Corsa DR2 for myself.
That's the first review I've seen on the Avanti Corsa. I wonder if there's any difference in the frames or if it's just groupset changes, like the TCR & Foils at the "entry" level.

I'm still looking around at what to buy and am keen on the Foil, TCR and Corsa. All around the low $2ks for the 105 bike with cheap wheels and fitout. I'm not too worried about the wheels, as I'd be getting some new wheels regardless. Just curious as to what's the "best" frame among those three.

I'm not hung up on the aero frames. I just think they look cool. With me sitting on it, the bike won't be very aero!

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:35 pm

just popped into an Avanti Plus store and checked out the Foil and Corsa DR. Gee the corsa is a radical looking bit of gear. Makes the Foil look pedestrian, which surprised me. I'm not keen on the colours of the entry level model in either, but I aint paying $1k for a colour and Ultegra... I might go back and ride them side by side next time to get more of an idea.

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:25 pm

I still find low to mid $2k for 105 and budget wheels too much in this day and age.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 am

Scott foil 20 at bike barn parramatta for under 3k

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:07 pm

scotto wrote:I still find low to mid $2k for 105 and budget wheels too much in this day and age.
yeah I'm struggling with that too.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Dion,

Buy Chesty's Lightspeed...much better bike than any of these being mentioned :D :D :D

Top line Ti Frame, SRAM Force, DA hubs into Open Pros vs Entry level carbon with pedestrian groupset and entry level wheels.

Cheers
Dave.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Dave R32 wrote:Dion,

Buy Chesty's Lightspeed...much better bike than any of these being mentioned :D :D :D

Top line Ti Frame, SRAM Force, DA hubs into Open Pros vs Entry level carbon with pedestrian groupset and entry level wheels.

Cheers
Dave.
it's an option. He hasn't told me how much he wants for it yet...

Head says buy new and get a warranty.