Help needed re: tyres/wheels

fatdudeonabike

Help needed re: tyres/wheels

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 am

Hi all,

Very long story short, I got my first bike about a month ago for exercise and for beating Canberra's litany of roadworks by riding to work. I also got it cos I hurt my back in a car accident (necessitating the exercise).
On the basis of my need to be upright, my size, and my experience, I ended up with a Giant Sedona. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... /#overview
The theory of the salesman was/is that, as well as being very strong and upright, I don't want to spend too much on my first bike - if I don't get into it, I'll be glad. But if I do get into it (and I have already), I'll want to upgrade during the "end of year" sales in September anyway. Sound advice - I'm already looking for my next bike, and the good service will probably result in another Giant from the same store (because you don't find many cheaper places in Canberra either).

So with all that in mind, I hadnt planned on upgrading the bike at all - but I'm already so sick of the wheels/tyres. They're huge, they're fat, and they've got more tread on them than a car.
The Sedona has Kenda 26x1.95 Multi-Surface tyres on it, and the salesman reckons that the brakes aren't going to be conducive to trying to get a skinnier tyre, but I don't know if that's right or not.

One thing I do know, even in my inexperience, is that everything about the bike is perfect for me at the moment, and I've finally got the set up perfect - but the tyres on it are slowing me down. And with the ride to work 16km, and the ride home about 19km, I don't want to do that when I can only average 15km/hr.
I know speed will come with training and weightloss - but I also think speed will come out of a change of tyres.

So basically, I'd love any advice you can give me - will skinnier tyres work with the brakes? If not, is anyone aware of any other 26x1.95 tyres that will make the bike roll better, as opposed to feeling like riding through wet tar? (I've already pumped them up to the maximum psi recommended).

thanks

PS. Sorry, I forgot my other question!

Will 26x2.0 tyres fit? or will they be 2 wide for the wheels?
Last edited by fatdudeonabike on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

r2160

Re: Help needed re: tyres/wheels

Postby r2160 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am

My advice, just ride it for the time being. It might be frustrating that you feel the wheels/tyres are holding you up, but in the long run it might be better for you.

Just ride, enjoy the scenery, enjoy just spending time on the bike.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

thejester

Postby thejester » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 am

[quote="fatdudeonabike"]
The Sedona has Kenda 26x1.95 Multi-Surface tyres on it, and the salesman reckons that the brakes aren't going to be conducive to trying to get a skinnier tyre, but I don't know if that's right or not.

Great to hear you are riding. Beware the heat.
Pretty sure I sold you that bike, don't remember this bit of advice though. As the brakes use the rim.
However we do keep slick tyres to fit that rim. Higher pressure, lighter weight, better aerodynamic profile, narrower than what is on it atm. It will make a difference, but not huge, you are a big guy.
I only work weekends out there so ring and dbl check. They can have a set to suit in 2-3days if not in stock. Should have something in 26x1.75 and 26x1.5

Also what the guy above said is very valid. I am not about just selling you something... BUT...
As many on here can confirm - even putting different coloured cable ends on your bike can make it go faster, primarily because you really WANT it to. :twisted:
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks man - I wish I'd thought of it on Saturday when I brought a friend of mine out to get the ladies version!

Never mind... I'll bring it in for a service in the next few weeks and ask one of the workshop dudes.

And sorry for the misquote - I actually meant to say "skinnier wheel", but I might even misunderstood that.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 am

Hi "fatdudeonabike",
I bought a nice second hand VWR, and previously just rode a 26 inch wheel BSO. So now I still have the fig 8 shaped handle bars with 700 sized wheels. I had looked at the Giants but reckoned this thing was stronger. I should have called myself "fatdudeonabike 2" We seem to be blood brothers. Most would probably say I have a bigger, better BSO. :D

I found the bike much nicer to ride and the gearing just suites this bike even though it is around 20 kg with a few things on it . The BSO was 650 tyred and seemed harder to push. When you are height challenged and weigh a bit, the extra weight in a bike "to me " is immaterial.
I do think the 28 x 1.4 road tyres are a big improvement on this bike. They take 80 psi and I run at 70 psi, all around towns and tracks which are often gravel topped. I have no trouble getting to 30 kph on flats and cruise easily at 25 kph. And I am by no means fit.
Your Giant is twice the bike I rode. Mine had MTB fats that made it unnecessary to have a bell. You could hear it coming. :D But it was a good thing to learn on and made me want a better bike later. You should have no trouble selling you Giant later if you do change up.
Whilst relearning to ride again , I found in every near miss I had, it all came back to the speed I was doing, and probably not claiming my bit of road.
Last edited by outnabike on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am

Simple alternative is to fit slick tyres...but if you want a tyre that is fast, durable and puncture resistant I would recommend Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, which are available in 26" X 1.6"
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:20 pm

outnabike wrote: Whilst relearning to ride again , I found in every near miss I had, it all came back to the speed I was doing, and probably not claiming my bit of road.
I like you already dude :D
Thanks for the advice and for sharing your experience. I may keep the Sedona for bush bashing when I get something for the road (n+1 and all that).
I'm sure many would say that, having had my bike for about 4-5 weeks, I'm crazy to already be thinking of a new bike (or upgrades to the current one) anyway... But I fell in love with riding so quickly, I'd have gone and gotten a flat bar roadie already if it weren't for the required strength and upright position mentioned on the OP. So I've got the bike I needed to have (for now) - and I think "road" tyres are a cheap, practical way of getting a bit more out of it.

Sounds like I have a lot of work to do though - I didn't even look at 700 tyres, because I dont really know what they are!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm

I'd stick with what you've got and look at a different bike when you are closer to your goal weight.

I'm not sure how big you are but 26" wheels are stronger than the larger 700c road bike wheels, depending on your weight that maybe a consideration for you.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread but could someone advise me how often you pump up your tyres, I've noticed that my bike looses 20psi every week.
Is that normal?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 pm

kunalraiker wrote:Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread but could someone advise me how often you pump up your tyres, I've noticed that my bike looses 20psi every week.
Is that normal?
That would be about right. Check them twice a week.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
outnabike wrote: Whilst relearning to ride again , I found in every near miss I had, it all came back to the speed I was doing, and probably not claiming my bit of road.
Thanks for the advice and for sharing your experience. I may keep the Sedona for bush bashing when I get something for the road (n+1 and all that).
I'm sure many would say that, having had my bike for about 4-5 weeks, I'm crazy to already be thinking of a new bike (or upgrades to the current one) anyway... But I fell in love with riding so quickly, I'd have gone and gotten a flat bar roadie already if it weren't for the required strength and upright position mentioned on the OP. So I've got the bike I needed to have (for now) - and I think "road" tyres are a cheap, practical way of getting a bit more out of it.

Sounds like I have a lot of work to do though - I didn't even look at 700 tyres, because I don't really know what they are!
All good fun. My tyres are the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme and puncture resistant. They came with the bike. I corrected the size in my last post to 28 x 1.4 Basically they are just a bit bigger in diameter that's all. Just that little bit less rolling resistance with a larger diameter, I would say. USA sized wheels for say a MTB would be 26"diam and that is what you have. Mine would be 29"diam. so are a bit bigger overall.
Basically in the type of bike you have, if you go up a step later to the Giant roam XR1 models, they are similar in design but have higher quality group sets, and the larger wheels.
What you have is a good starter though and with tyres like mine, which are not racing tyres , just good road and track ones it will transform your ride no doubt.

I know nothing about road racing but am pleased with the Vivente World Randonneur.There is a thread running about them currently and has good info. I wanted that or a Long Haul Trucker, but thr LHT were pretty scarce on the ground.Tthese are touring bikes , built with strong components and min I think has a MTB range in the 9 cog hub. I can get up any hill I need with it if I work hard enough. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

I had the same issue as you with my first bike wanting to go faster

have a look at the continental travel contact, i ended up purchasing these and had a great time, they have a slick centre section with knobbies on the edges.

They have good puncture protection and reasonably light and supple they come in a 26x 1.5

http://harriscyclery.net/product/contin ... 2-1101.htm

Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:

Sounds like I have a lot of work to do though - I didn't even look at 700 tyres, because I dont really know what they are!
Hey dude,

you sound like I did about 10 months ago :) I have a very similair bike to you which has 700 x 40c tyres on it, yeah big...
When I first started commuting (around 12 months ago), like you I used to do around 15km/h most of the time and blamed my heavy, fat tyred bike.
Then after reading several posts on this forum realised that the problem isn't the bike, it's the engine attached to it.
I too considered getting skinnier tyres for my bike, but like the fact that I've only had 1 puncture in the last year (touch wood!)

Now after grinding away for 12 months on that thing, I now avg mid 20s and usually sit on 30+ on the flats.
Plus I do it without busting my ass as my legs are now a whole lot stronger, my technique more efficient etc
I'm also looking at upgrading to a road bike this year, and given the time I've had already has given me a chance to decide exactly what type of bike I'd like, budget to spend etc
This may change for you as you ride more.

One thing I'd suggest if you haven't already is either getting some toe clips for the standard pedals you have, or if you're willing to spend a bit more getting shoes and cleats.
This improved my power and therefore speed and was a cheap upgrade (the toe clips that is).

Good luck with it!