Replacing bike chain

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Replacing bike chain

Postby Vanmorrison48 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi
I have an entry level Scott bike, i took it for a service and they have recommended i get the chain replaced as it has stretched... They also think other parts will need to be replaced if they upgrade chain... Could cost $200+ i wondered if anyone knows of cheaper ways to upgrade chain... Or do i call it al day and replace bike (worth c $600)

Ps any advice on skilling up on bike maintenance/servicing greatly appreciated
Thx Vanessa
Vanmorrison48

by BNA » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

BNA

Re: Replacing bike chain

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

with a few tools, a few youtube videos you can replace a chain and a cassette for about half that
tools needed:
chain breaker. this will allow you to break a chain and then press a pit in the new one (after breaking it to the right length). these can cost as little as $10

if you want to do the cassette as well, you'll need:
chain whip
cassette lock ring tool
you can buy these as a pair for as little as $20

replacement chains start from $8
cassettes start around the $40 mark
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Vanmorrison48 wrote:Hi
I have an entry level Scott bike, i took it for a service and they have recommended i get the chain replaced as it has stretched... They also think other parts will need to be replaced if they upgrade chain... Could cost $200+ i wondered if anyone knows of cheaper ways to upgrade chain... Or do i call it al day and replace bike (worth c $600)

Ps any advice on skilling up on bike maintenance/servicing greatly appreciated
Thx Vanessa

Hi Vanessa & welcome to the forums. Replacing a chain is so easy, even I can do it :)

What needs to be replaced depends on how much the chain has "stretched" - if it is just the chain, you should be able to pick one up online for less than $20 + postage. If your chain has stretched more than 1/8" over 12" then you will need a new cassette (the gears at the back). I expect it would cost a lot less than $200 unless there is something significantly wrong.

Your first port of call should be to do some reading - I would recommend the late sheldon brown in general and the page on chains in particular. Even if you don't want to learn how to do it yourself, at least you will be more aware of what needs to be done, so that no-one pulls a swifty on you.

If you do want learn to do it, like I said it is not hard. Plenty of helpful advice on here. You will however need a few basic tools - a chain tool being the most obvious one.

Or you could do a course, such as the Free Bicycle Maintenance Course run by the City of Sydney would be a good place to start. Lots of bicycle user groups & clubs also run courses to help people learn.

Cheers

Bruce
find_bruce

Postby wombatK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm

find_bruce wrote:Your first port of call should be to do some reading - I would recommend the late sheldon brown in general and the page on chains in particular. Even if you don't want to learn how to do it yourself, at least you will be more aware of what needs to be done, so that no-one pulls a swifty on you.

+1 If you do nothing else, scroll down and read the measuring chains section, buy a steel rule (from Bunnings < $10) and check it yourself.

As another check, you haven't said how far you've ridden the bike, but it's not unreasonable for a chain to last 3000 km, and a cassette to go double that (assuming you change the chain at the right time).

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby alf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:10 pm

wombatK wrote:<snip>
cassette to go double that (assuming you change the chain at the right time).

If like me you keep stuffing up and leaving the chain on too long you can (for XT / XTR cassettes at least) get replacement cogs for the ones that the new chain skips on.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=9651&category=40
alf

Postby kokoman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

If u haven't ridden much, it's unlikely u need to replace the cassette / cog. A KMC chain is great because it lets u remove it and put it back easily. Most portable bike tools come with a chain breaker (works by pushing the tiny pin on the chain out)
kokoman

Return to Buying a bike / parts