Is the internet killing bike shops?

gpz1100

Re: Is the internet killing bike shops?

Postby gpz1100 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 am

I go to the local LBS when i want to sneak something into the garage without the missus knowing.She knows if it comes in the mail so.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 am

I'd gladly buy from my LBS but the service just isn't there. At all.

I'll talk about a recent visit where I called in three weeks after my service to get my FD checked out after an accident. Mechanic answered, told me he could check it out on the spot the next day. No problem, sounded great. I drive 40 mins to them, I'm there at opening time, salesperson comes up and tells me I have to book in a service and shoot them $59 for a full service before they'll look at it.

Other local LBS was too busy which was fair enough, and the other local local LBS I've already documented about my service history with them here on BNA.

I've probably spent over 2k at Wiggle and Cell and will continue to do so. Service is the only thing left to offer me. If they can't get that right, I won't even bother with the bike.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 am

Ross wrote:Subject has been done to death a million times
Cant understand how this thread has been paid so much attension :roll:

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Shpox wrote:I'll talk about a recent visit where I called in three weeks after my service to get my FD checked out after an accident. Mechanic answered, told me he could check it out on the spot the next day. No problem, sounded great. I drive 40 mins to them, I'm there at opening time, salesperson comes up and tells me I have to book in a service and shoot them $59 for a full service before they'll look at it.
What happened to the person you spoke to on the phone?
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

humanbeing wrote:
Shpox wrote:I'll talk about a recent visit where I called in three weeks after my service to get my FD checked out after an accident. Mechanic answered, told me he could check it out on the spot the next day. No problem, sounded great. I drive 40 mins to them, I'm there at opening time, salesperson comes up and tells me I have to book in a service and shoot them $59 for a full service before they'll look at it.
What happened to the person you spoke to on the phone?
Wasn't there in the morning. I mentioned his name but the salesperson was having none of it. He did mention, 'we' could fix it on the spot, not necessarily 'he'. You'd think the courtesy of phoning in advance would help avoid such a situation, but evidently not.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Shpox wrote:I'd gladly buy from my LBS but the service just isn't there. At all.
I've probably spent over 2k at Wiggle and Cell and will continue to do so. Service is the only thing left to offer me. If they can't get that right, I won't even bother
Ditto +1 :twisted:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Shpox wrote: Wasn't there in the morning. I mentioned his name but the salesperson was having none of it. He did mention, 'we' could fix it on the spot, not necessarily 'he'. You'd think the courtesy of phoning in advance would help avoid such a situation, but evidently not.
Keep an eye out for your mechanic - he might be moving stores soon, because that place won't be open forever. :idea:

stang1

Postby stang1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:15 pm

My experiences. Just recently.

Example A:

Wanted an exact saddle which I bought from a new LBS before. Had it measured. Placed an order on a tuesday/wednesday, said would be in next week. Online prices is 150ish vs local 300$. I had spent 300$ for a saddle before in this very LBS, which can be had online. Called in on today to ask about item status, instant response post finishing my sentence, Its only tuesday. :shock:

I did explain to them it was urgent during order, he did promise me a week and that airbagging from the eastern states should be in by latest monday. My reaction was :| I then proceeded to ask about knowing the actual order status, ie; how many more days to wait etc, actual owner of the lbs promised me a phone call back 4 hours ago and am still waiting.

Now, I did promise to buy the saddle from them, hence the per-order, but its one bike shop I wunt ever step in again after buying that saddle. And for warranty purposes :lol:

Example B ( positive one _ ):

My very favourite/regular lbs. I wanted a set of wheels. he gave me a killer deal on some stock he has on the floor and some that he can order in.I really really wanted that set of particular wheels. He phoned his supplier and gave me price quotes w/o GST. for examples sake; its 3K w/o GST ( the quotes are very very close ). Saw the cost price w/o GST with my own eyes from his suppliers website. Showed him Wiggle/PBK which quotes way below 2.5K AUD including tax. He said to me in his own words;

"I honestly cant beat those prices, I would rather you get it from O/S and have it serviced here, its just impossible for me to price match and you will end up saving alot of $$$ for exactly the same thing."

I ended up buying the wheels online. But then again, I have had bought 2 full high end bikes from him and am doing a 3rd purchase atm.

It all comes down to customer service. I know I'll be supporting my LBS from example B with alot of stuff, but some things really arent worth the extra $$$ in AUD RRP.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Xplora wrote:
Shpox wrote: Wasn't there in the morning. I mentioned his name but the salesperson was having none of it. He did mention, 'we' could fix it on the spot, not necessarily 'he'. You'd think the courtesy of phoning in advance would help avoid such a situation, but evidently not.
Keep an eye out for your mechanic - he might be moving stores soon, because that place won't be open forever. :idea:
I'm not too sure. I think the franchise bike shops are doing quite well e.g. 99 Bikes and Goldcross here in QLD. I've seen a lot of younger mechanics that veterans but I suppose that's not suprise given the greater profit margins of franchises when compared to classic homegrown turf shops.

Given what stang has mentioned, I think LBS's would be much better off selling stock directly to the customer outside of things like air and tubes.

What I'd like to see is:
- LBS's offer demo models of bikes for test rides only, like a showroom
- LBS's become labor focused removing the current ratio of salespersons to mechanics.
- Purchases are delivered to your door from a warehouse where stock is contained. Includes tracking.

Hopefully this reduces prices for stock, allows labor to conducted primarily at the store outside of test rides thereby increasing the focus on 'SERVICE', encourages stores to avoid 'sponsored' stock and instead deliver quality items that are popular across the world. Questions can still be asked instore on product recommendations so they don't lose as much as they hope to gain.

The point here is they shouldn't bother competing with price like their current model, and should instead move onto developing a model that can compete.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I suspect the current enquiry into Adobe, Apple and MS may impact more than just software prices. They are already trotting out some t=of the tired excuses we have all heard before.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 am

dynamictiger wrote:I suspect the current enquiry into Adobe, Apple and MS may impact more than just software prices. They are already trotting out some t=of the tired excuses we have all heard before.
+1 I'll be waiting to see when Shimano Australia and other wholesalers/importers of bicycle parts are brought before a similar enquiry.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:45 pm

RonK wrote:It's spreading...

The price you pay for being an Aussie
reading that article still makes me think we are in a vicious cycle.

consumer/employee wants pay rise with all added benefits/entitlements -> employer puts up prices of services/stock to accommodate -> consumer complains everything expensive & realizes they can get products cheaper online and save $ -> other consumers/employees gets laid off by employer due to not wanting to lower profit margins to compete with online stores -> employer closes shop in AUS or sets up overseas to maintain profit margins -> consumer/employee goes on unemployment benefits and complains about everything being so expensive -> consumer/employee finds another job this time demanding better job security -> cycle starts again

Problem I see with this is everyone wants a big slice of the cake without thinking of the implications to the rest of society. "As long as Im ok and I have what I am entitled to, I dont care what happens to anyone else" attitude is currently reigning supreme and growing larger by the day.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
RonK wrote: Problem I see with this is everyone wants a big slice of the cake without thinking of the implications to the rest of society. "As long as Im ok and I have what I am entitled to, I dont care what happens to anyone else" attitude is currently reigning supreme and growing larger by the day.
This x1000. Hits the nail on the head. I don't know if it's the 'she'll be right' attitude or if it's just plain selfishness that no one seems to care about each other so long as they're fine. Dog eat dog. The issue can be compared to many things going on, at least up here in QLD.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 pm

I just read on fb that Lifecycle in Brisbane are shutting their doors as of 6pm tonight. Sad news indeed.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:52 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I just read on fb that Lifecycle in Brisbane are shutting their doors as of 6pm tonight. Sad news indeed.
sad. have used their service guys a couple of times...

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
RonK wrote:It's spreading...

The price you pay for being an Aussie
reading that article still makes me think we are in a vicious cycle.

consumer/employee wants pay rise with all added benefits/entitlements -> employer puts up prices of services/stock to accommodate -> consumer complains everything expensive & realizes they can get products cheaper online and save $ -> other consumers/employees gets laid off by employer due to not wanting to lower profit margins to compete with online stores -> employer closes shop in AUS or sets up overseas to maintain profit margins -> consumer/employee goes on unemployment benefits and complains about everything being so expensive -> consumer/employee finds another job this time demanding better job security -> cycle starts again

Problem I see with this is everyone wants a big slice of the cake without thinking of the implications to the rest of society. "As long as Im ok and I have what I am entitled to, I dont care what happens to anyone else" attitude is currently reigning supreme and growing larger by the day.
This is called "the market". It is the bedrock of capitalism (and arguably life).

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Shpox wrote:
rpmspinman wrote:
RonK wrote: Problem I see with this is everyone wants a big slice of the cake without thinking of the implications to the rest of society. "As long as Im ok and I have what I am entitled to, I dont care what happens to anyone else" attitude is currently reigning supreme and growing larger by the day.
This x1000. Hits the nail on the head. I don't know if it's the 'she'll be right' attitude or if it's just plain selfishness that no one seems to care about each other so long as they're fine. Dog eat dog. The issue can be compared to many things going on, at least up here in QLD.
So are you going to be giving up the majority of your wealth and give it to some people in a less developed country?

Of course you are not. Only people with more than you are greedy. By virtue of living in Australia you are richer than 99% of the world.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Shpox wrote:
rpmspinman wrote:
Nope, I didn't say that at all.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I just read on fb that Lifecycle in Brisbane are shutting their doors as of 6pm tonight. Sad news indeed.
Yikes! When and where was this announced? Just looking on their Facebook page and it doesn't mention anything about it? I thought they were one of the busier LBS going around as well?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Ignoto wrote:
Yikes! When and where was this announced? Just looking on their Facebook page and it doesn't mention anything about it? I thought they were one of the busier LBS going around as well?
Blair Stockwell has wanted to retire for several years and has had several tries at selling the shop. Perhaps he's finally decided enough is enough.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 pm

RonK wrote:
Can you clarify then please.
simonn wrote: Of course you are not. Only people with more than you are greedy. By virtue of living in Australia you are richer than 99% of the world.
I'll deal with you later.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Shpox wrote:
RonK wrote:
Can you clarify then please.
simonn wrote: Of course you are not. Only people with more than you are greedy. By virtue of living in Australia you are richer than 99% of the world.
I'll deal with you later.
Read my post - those are rpmspinmans words, not mine. Learn to edit properly if you are going to quote.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 pm

stang1 wrote:My experiences. Just recently.

Example A:

Wanted an exact saddle which I bought from a new LBS before. Had it measured. Placed an order on a tuesday/wednesday, said would be in next week. Online prices is 150ish vs local 300$. I had spent 300$ for a saddle before in this very LBS, which can be had online. Called in on today to ask about item status, instant response post finishing my sentence, Its only tuesday. :shock:

I did explain to them it was urgent during order, he did promise me a week and that airbagging from the eastern states should be in by latest monday. My reaction was :| I then proceeded to ask about knowing the actual order status, ie; how many more days to wait etc, actual owner of the lbs promised me a phone call back 4 hours ago and am still waiting.

Now, I did promise to buy the saddle from them, hence the per-order, but its one bike shop I wunt ever step in again after buying that saddle. And for warranty purposes :lol:
You are way more patient than me. I would of told them not to bother after they jerked you around and just ordered it online like you were going to in the first place. Sounds like they haven't even put the order in yet. They have NFI of customer service. Not like you were trying to buy some small $10 part, $300 is pretty significant in my view.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Without giving away too many details...I am pricing a tender at the moment. In amongst the tender is the requirement for a fuel probe (not really this is an anology as there is too much information required otherwise) and this hooks to a propreitary device I designed and manufacture. In Australia I pay $1800 for this particular probe. I have just signed up for an online store in the states who can sell me the same item for $450 landed.

Wonder if bike shops are suffering similar issues.