Bike Trainer Recommendations

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Bike Trainer Recommendations

Postby fit4play » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Everyone.
I am looking to buy an indoor trainer, but have not used one before and would love any advice or recommendations anyone has. I have read a few reviews, but first hand users opinions would be great.
I want to spend as little as possible (doesn't everyone!?), but don't want to buy a trainer that I won't use because it isn't suitable etc. I guess I am looking for value for money rather than cheap. My level of cycling expertise...I participate in triathlons, and am happy to just successfully finish each race I enter. I am certainly a long way from first place. My cycling needs work and I would like a trainer so that I can spend time on the bike while my baby sleeps. I will be out in the shed, so noise isn't a major issue (within reason). I don't want to fiddle around changing tyres etc - the simpler to set it up each time, the more likely I am to use it.
This is my first post on the forum, so I would appreciate any feedback all of you experienced riders might have.
Thanks!!!!!
fit4play

by BNA » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 pm

BNA

Re: Bike Trainer Recommendations

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 pm

I sell the Kirt Kinetic trainers, the Road Machine is about as enjoyable as it can get while sitting on a trainer. They definitely arn't the cheapest to buy but they last indefinitely whereas many cheap ones will fall appart if used seriously for sometime, they are quiet, they don't chew your tyres up and the quick mounting system is secure and very fast to clip your bike on and off. They also generate a serious amount of resistance so if you get strong you won't out-grow it.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=58
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby jgon286 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm

I bought a Jet Black Trainer from Cellbikes last year as a bundle at around $230 from memory. I believe it's one of the better mag trainers going around. A friend bought the fluid version at the same time at around $270? The bundle comes with the sweat guard, mat and raiser. This link only has the trainer priced -

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/JetBlack-M1 ... gory=12719

It's been great to be able to do exactly what you describe - train in the evenings when the kids are in bed, or when it's pouring outside. I kind of like the ability to change the resistance manually, unlike the fluid version. Then I can work on the cadence level I want for the resistance I want to try and simulat different road conditions. It's used at least once a week and, when paired with the Indoor Cycling app works bell to maintain fitness all the time.

It came with a skewer. I swapped it and just kept it on the bike for outdoor rides too. The tyre wear is noticeable though.

Good luck.
jgon286

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm

I bought a.KK RM from jacks and i'm very satisfied with it. . Excellent resstance level and realistix wind-down.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby fit4play » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks very much for your opinions and experiences. Much appreciated. I think i still have a bit of research to do!!!!!
fit4play

Return to Buying a bike / parts