Custom Clearance for online purchases

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Custom Clearance for online purchases

Postby mynastydrag » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 am

Hi,

I recently purchased a bicycle from chain reaction and it is valued at well over AUD$1000, even with a 50% discount.

As I wait for the bike to arrive, I was wondering what actions need to be taken to clear the australian custom and the appropriate taxes (whether it calculates using the discounted price or the retail price, as well as other misc fees.).

I have no prior experience since I had never bought anything over AUD$1000 in value, any help would be greatly appreciated!
mynastydrag

by BNA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:35 am

BNA

Re: Custom Clearance for online purchases

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 am

You don't need to do anything. The shipping company will contact you and ask for the import charges and custom agents fee before delivery.
If you are lucky your shipment won't be inspected and you won't have to pay anything.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Howzat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:52 am

RonK is right, they'll just call you and ask for your credit card. They don't inspect, they just run the paperwork, most of the time.
Howzat

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 am

Howzat wrote:RonK is right, they'll just call you and ask for your credit card. They don't inspect, they just run the paperwork, most of the time.

Yes, inspections are performed by customs, and I think they are random as I've been charged for some shipments but not all.
BTW, if you think your order is likely to attract import charges, it's a good idea to include your phone number with the delivery instructions to expedite the process.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm

mynastydrag wrote:Hi,

I recently purchased a bicycle from chain reaction and it is valued at well over AUD$1000, even with a 50% discount.

As I wait for the bike to arrive, I was wondering what actions need to be taken to clear the australian custom and the appropriate taxes (whether it calculates using the discounted price or the retail price, as well as other misc fees.).

I have no prior experience since I had never bought anything over AUD$1000 in value, any help would be greatly appreciated!

It will largely depend on how the bike was sent. If it is regular post then you would probably get sent some notification of what you need to pay.
In my case, I bought a $4k bike from the USA. As soon as it arrived, UPS called me on the phone and said "customs & Gst is $430, give us your credit card number number and delivery will be tomorrow". No paperwork required, and no customs inspection. They just went straight off the invoice on the shipment.

All charges are based on what you actually paid, including shipping costs. I would calculate it ahead of time yourself so that you know if the final charge sounds about right.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby mynastydrag » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the info, it has been really helpful!
I've been reading up and some of the information on various websites is rather confusing to me which is why i posted.

I do hope my ride arrives soon :)
mynastydrag

Return to Buying a bike / parts