Possible Wheel Upgrade

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Possible Wheel Upgrade

Postby TZ2102 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Basically I have a CAAD 8 105 - with 3t funda forks. Possibly thinking of upgrading wheels - Maddux RS3.0 (since I've heard this is the only negative about this bike).

Would Pro-Lite Bracciano's be the best option? at like $400 and 1.5kg they seem to be the lightest for that price range. Although I may not be able to afford this right now :S

Could someone comment on their durability (I will be using the wheels on all my rides - I am 70kg) and if they have good aerodynamics...not sure how you can tell this without high tech equipment.

Are there any other better wheels?

Thanks
TZ2102

by BNA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 pm

BNA

Re: Possible Wheel Upgrade

Postby open roader » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Specifically, what reasons do you wish to upgrade your wheel set?

More comfortable ride / more raw speed / more aerodynamics for holding momentum / lighter for climbing / better longevity / more strength and less flex / more agreeable aesthetics......?

TZ2102 wrote: Maddux RS3.0 (since I've heard this is the only negative about this bike).

With all due respect, heresay is one thing but what have you noticed about your current wheels that limits / displeases you? Surely your own riding experience is more valued than reading about the experiences of others.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:43 am

TZ2102 wrote:I am 70kg

70kgs? don't worry about durability based on weight unless you are going to buy the lightest of lightest wheels available. 70kgs puts you in featherweight territory
jasonc

Postby TZ2102 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am

open roader wrote:Specifically, what reasons do you wish to upgrade your wheel set?

More comfortable ride / more raw speed / more aerodynamics for holding momentum / lighter for climbing / better longevity / more strength and less flex / more agreeable aesthetics......?

TZ2102 wrote: Maddux RS3.0 (since I've heard this is the only negative about this bike).

With all due respect, heresay is one thing but what have you noticed about your current wheels that limits / displeases you? Surely your own riding experience is more valued than reading about the experiences of others.

Nothing really displeases me, I was just thinking their could be a decent performance improvement. would like light for climbing and acceleration but with decent aero.
TZ2102

Postby Jesmol » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 am

I was looking at the same budget as you , theres plenty of great options, in the end I picked up some rs-80 c24's for $450 from a local online lbs, I went for them as they are still a cup and cone style bearing which I know how to maintain, weight is almost identical to the Braccianos
Jesmol

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm

http://2011.pro-lite.net/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=48
As you can see in this review by pro cycling they are compared to top end wheel sets. Such as fulcrum r0. And are rated better . . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013
redcorpsjames

Postby nickdos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:09 pm

I hover around 70 kg and I upgraded to the Bracciano's from the 2+kg level-entry wheels that came on my bike. I noticed a significant improvement in Strava times, especially on longer climbs but also increased average speeds on flat routes. Lower weight (25% less), better aero shape and much better hubs all contributed to better performance IMHO. They have haven't missed a beat in over 6 months.
nickdos

Return to Buying a bike / parts