Mountain Bike platform pedals

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Mountain Bike platform pedals

Postby anthony_964 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi im thinking of upgrading my nylon pedals which came with my bike to aluminium MTB/BMX pedals. I use my bike on simple fire trails as i am a begginer and also use it to commute about once a week. However the pins on the pedals look asthough they are going to ruin the bottom of my shoes , will this occur if i use regular skate shoes or runners?. Also are these pedals a bad choice for road use?

Thanks in advance :) :D :o :wink: :P
anthony_964

by BNA » Wed May 14, 2008 8:00 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 14, 2008 8:00 pm

G'day Anthony,

Those pins are there to provide grip: you're supposed to twist your foot onto the pedal and the pins hold onto the sole of your shoe until you twist out again. They're like clipless pedals without cleats.

I don't think good quality runners will be torn apart by the pedals.

However, my advice is to just bite the bullet and get proper clipless pedals and shoes. It doesn't matter that you're a beginner, and I personally believe it's better that you learn to use clipless while you still are a beginner!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby nzdans » Sat May 17, 2008 1:12 am

Howdy,

The pins can give some shoes a pretty hard time. It is best not to use shoes with softer compound soles especially with pedals that use the (allen key fastening) grub screws for pins. If you are mainly commuting this shouldn't be too much of a problem but if you go off road regularly soft soled shoes will get chewed up.

There are plenty of good platform pedals available; at the budget end the likes of the Giant Mosh pedals are great value then moving on to the DMR brand at about $60 or $100 depending on quality of bearings and number of pins. There are heaps of brands out there, the $60 mark is a bit of a sweet spot for value.

As has been previously mentioned going to clipless pedals is a major step up in performance (control!) and comfort. I highly recommend the Time Z pedals or similar platform / clipless pedals as they have that nice big platform for moments when you don't quite get clipped in in time but need some purchase on your pedals. these types of pedals are also great if you think you will jump on your bike without your cycling shoes; riding standard MTB clipless pedals without your cycling shoes can be very uncomfortable.

I hope this helps.
nzdans

Return to Buying a bike / parts