Helium vs. Noah vs. Izalco vs. Xelius

thommo09

Helium vs. Noah vs. Izalco vs. Xelius

Postby thommo09 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new bike and am interested in people's experiences and opinions of the following:

Ridley Noah (Ultegra Di2, Ultegra 6700 wheelset, Ritchey cockpit) ~ $3800
Ridley Helium (SRAM Force, Reynolds Solitude wheelset, Easton EA70 cockpit) ~$2800
Focus Izalco (SRAM Force, DTSwiss R1850 wheelset, FSA cockpit) ~ $3100
Lapierre Xelius 600 EFI (Ultegra Di2, Cosmic Elite wheelset, Ritchey PRO cockpit) ~ $3700
Kuota KOM (SRAM Red -2012, Fulcrum 5 wheelset, Deda cockpit) ~ $4000

To put it into perspective all are within a happy price range for me. I'll be using the bike for a bit of everything, mostly regular training, but also want to get back into racing, both road races and time trials (and the odd crit). I'm not so much after a recommendation of one over the other, but rather would like to hear what people think of each from experience.

I am buying over the net and will not be riding any of the above before buying (I've done this in the past and never had a problem - I know my measurements and have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing when setting up a bike).

So, shoot away.

Cheers

antipodean

Re: Helium vs. Noah vs. Izalco vs. Xelius

Postby antipodean » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:14 am

Where can you buy a Helium for $2800?

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 am

Izalco. Watch Andy's video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y43V1mDfl98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really great frameset. You can grab the model up with Di2 for about the same price as the Noah too. If you don't care about electronic shifting, spend the extra cash a pair of race day wheels. :mrgreen: Izalco is very good all rounder.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 am

Kangazilla's Mal runs the Izalco and owns half the KOMs in our area, can't be too bad :lol:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 pm

I know seasoned racers who have bought Focus Izalcos with their own money and have been happy.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:02 pm

I'll put in a word for the KOM Evo :D

As the distributor for the Kuota's has changed recently, there were some great deals on frames to be had recently while the original supplier cleared stock. Also, what we get in Aus isn't the same as european models. For a start the BB is english thread here not BB30. I dont know if the new importer has changed the spec and importing fresh frames to the newer ones (give away for the new for 2013 model is the internal cable routing) - but if it is not, I reckon there are better deals to be had about and shouldn't be the top priced bike on your list, esp with Fulcrum 5's. There is practically no difference in 2011-2012 KOM's.

Speaking for the bikes character, for most of your needs it'll be awesome. The bike is built for transmitting power. This it does amazingly. It makes a layman like myself feel so much faster because all my effort is being turned into motion.

Not ideal for the TT aero scene if thats you. The bikes tubing is chunkier than a cannondale supersix (std model), and the fork is more like 2 pillars (about 2cm wide across at the thickest part of one leg. That said though it steers/tracks beautifully at speed.

Are you a size 56? :wink:

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm

There are a couple of 2011 BB30 frames out there. Two of my mates have Kom Evo team specs from glen parker cycles and they're the bb30, but very rare as you say.

Derby Cycles are the new Kuota importer, but I think they're concentrating on Focus and Cervelo from what I've been told..

I vote the Kuota!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Thats 2 for the KOM Mark :)

The last importer - Gemini Cycles - bought the licence to produce/purchase frames and changed them to BSA because "BB30 isn't popular", at least thats what the tech told me on my phonecall to them a few months back to ask about the BB after I bought my frame,.

Would have loved the bb30 version!

All I can say is $4K seems a bit much - you should be able to carve the best part of a K out of that price if you shop well :) or twist arms.

As for Ridley, FRF Sports is the importer AFAIK. If you can get a Helium for cheap then Kudo's to you!

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Yeah I looked at a Kuota myself, but Gemini had no BB30 in stock and as their agreement was up with Kuota, they were just moving what stock they had left til Derby took over.

Glen Parker apparently have 2013 stock on store ..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18 pm

If I ever bought a plastic frame it would be a Focus. It's made by Germans for God's sake. I'd dump the SRAM though and fit it out with Campy Chorus or Record as well as toss the FSA parts for some 3ttt alloy bits.