Best option for adding another gear?

twizzle

Re: Best option for adding another gear?

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Drop wheel, remove skewer, fit chain whip, undo locking, turn freehub down and spread parts all over the floor, turn freehub up and fit spacer and each gear, chuck tool on torque wrench and tighten to 40nm. Chuck wheel back on bike. O.K., maybe 3 minutes. Or five if you aren't in a hurry.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

TDC

Postby TDC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:19 pm

twizzle wrote:Drop wheel, remove skewer, fit chain whip, undo locking, turn freehub down and spread parts all over the floor, turn freehub up and fit spacer and each gear, chuck tool on torque wrench and tighten to 40nm. Chuck wheel back on bike. O.K., maybe 3 minutes. Or five if you aren't in a hurry.

Sent from my iThingy...
That leaves time for a few bars of Bach. 8)

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm

twizzle wrote:Drop wheel, remove skewer, fit chain whip, undo locking, turn freehub down and spread parts all over the floor, turn freehub up and fit spacer and each gear, chuck tool on torque wrench and tighten to 40nm. Chuck wheel back on bike. O.K., maybe 3 minutes. Or five if you aren't in a hurry.
Just the "drop wheel" part sounds like a 15 minute job for me, including googling exact instructions. Finding out what a "chain whip" is and how to undo locking...another 30 minutes...need I go on!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Lock ring. Bloody Ipad. :roll:

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 am

wizdofaus wrote:Hell there was one time my girlfriend almost fell off her bike because I'd tried to adjust her seat-post and somehow managed to get it wrong (I swear it was as tight as I could get it)!
Perhaps I should've mentioned this may have been because I got a little distracted watching this video explaining how to do it: http://vimeo.com/60518349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 am

wizdofaus wrote:
twizzle wrote:If anyone knew where you were, you might get some offers to fit a cassette. It's a two minute job. Hint: Set your location in your profile! Even a vague one would help.
Done, but um..."two minute job"? The most optimistic assessment I've heard yet by a reasonable seasoned amateur bike mechanic is 15 min!

Mind you I did say a 5yo could learn Bach's Prelude in C in a "few" sittings, which is only true for sufficiently large values of "few" (probably about 15 unless they were the next Mozart).
Im not a seasoned bike rider, let alone a bike mechanic and its less than 5 minutes. I cant believe a shop would charge $100 in labour to do this.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 am

danny the boy wrote: Im not a seasoned bike rider, let alone a bike mechanic and its less than 5 minutes. I cant believe a shop would charge $100 in labour to do this.
They weren't - their RRP for the cassette was $120, +$40 labour. They said they could give me the cassette for $100 but that was as low as they could go. Another shop had it cheaper but were out of stock. Just ordered on eBay for $65 and cyclotaur has very kindly offered to fit it for me, so unfortunately my grand plan to keep those bike stores in business has come unravelled...