Small bike lights

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Small bike lights

Postby takai » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Hopefully this topic hasnt been overly done to death, but most of the threads ive seen have been about larger lights.

This year I have built up a SS/fixie commuter out of spare bits and now that its starting to get dark earlier im going to need lights for it. 99% of the time it will be for the 5-6km commute down a bike path here in Melbourne, which is reasonably lit (or on the road for the same distance), and so i dont think the CREE LEDs i have on the road bike, or the Ayups on the MTB are really needed.

I was having a look at the Bontrager Ember/Glo combo today, which looked like a pretty decent little pair of lights. Anyone had experience with them? The other ones i was considering was the Knog Blinders, but man they are expensive for what they are.

Thoughts?
takai
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

by BNA » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:12 pm

BNA
 

Re: Small bike lights

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:12 pm

I bought some cheap 2led silicon blinkies, look a bit like the knog frogs for a couple of bucks each. Reckon they are fine for being seen, no good for seeing where you are going though. At under $2 each got enough to mount to each bike permanently as a just in case. Wrap em rounds your bars, seatpost, frame Tec, don't stick out like and spoil the lines of your bike. Cheap and cheerful. Save fitting the good lights for when I really need them.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Small bike lights

Postby takai » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 pm

bychosis wrote:I bought some cheap 2led silicon blinkies, look a bit like the knog frogs for a couple of bucks each. Reckon they are fine for being seen, no good for seeing where you are going though. At under $2 each got enough to mount to each bike permanently as a just in case. Wrap em rounds your bars, seatpost, frame Tec, don't stick out like and spoil the lines of your bike. Cheap and cheerful. Save fitting the good lights for when I really need them.


Off ebay i assume, rather than any B&M store....
takai
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby Jonno » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120642914137 ... 3020wt_952

I just bought these for my helmet.
User avatar
Jonno
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA.

Re: Small bike lights

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 am

Yes eBay. v.similar to the link above. I wasn't going to pay arond $15 or more for the same thing locally for something that is only a backup.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Small bike lights

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:34 pm

The Light & Motion Urban 550 is small, light and very, very bright. 550 Lumens. I used one tonight for the first time. You can put it on the helmet or on the handlebars.

Unfortunately it does get quite warm - but otherwise it seems to work very well on first impressions over about 29km. Even if that one is overkill, it seems a damn good light compared with some of the other rubbish I've tried. Bontrager Ion2, etc - not nearly as bright and not really much lighter either.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3875
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby The Walrus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm

I wanted some lights to be seen on my roadie for the early morning rides. I have a pretty powerful Exposure light for the MTB but I just wanted something discreet and simple and found a set by Blackburn for $30 and they look similar in design to the posts above.

They fit easily, sit in the bike permanently and have been great, but if I wanted to see where I was going they'd be severely lacking!
User avatar
The Walrus
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: Small bike lights

Postby pacra » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 pm

If it is a case of 'been seen', Electron USB chargeables are about the $20 mark at Ribble. I have use 2 at the rear for 18 months at about 7 hours a week, still operating no problems.
The other good thing about them (and the comparables) is that you can mount or demount them in 10 seconds.
pacra
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Small bike lights

Postby takai » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Well i ended up getting a pair of Lezyne Femtos on the 25% off sale from BikeBug the other day for the road bike. Also got a Knog Blinder for the Fixie and a pair of PedalNation ones for the Mrs.

All are going well.
takai
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby Paddles » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 pm

My wife has one of the little moon mask ones, it's nice and small, it charges with a usb cable.
Paddles
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:55 pm

takai wrote:Hopefully this topic hasnt been overly done to death, but most of the threads ive seen have been about larger lights.

This year I have built up a SS/fixie commuter out of spare bits and now that its starting to get dark earlier im going to need lights for it. 99% of the time it will be for the 5-6km commute down a bike path here in Melbourne, which is reasonably lit (or on the road for the same distance), and so i dont think the CREE LEDs i have on the road bike, or the Ayups on the MTB are really needed.

I was having a look at the Bontrager Ember/Glo combo today, which looked like a pretty decent little pair of lights. Anyone had experience with them? The other ones i was considering was the Knog Blinders, but man they are expensive for what they are.

Thoughts?


I have an AWESOME product comming soon. CNC alloy machined light, water proof, runs off 2x coin batteries. Silicon strap and very small like the top of your thumb. 50hrs run time on solid, 150hrs flash.

Image

We just approved the sample and are waiting for stock.

I'm pretty excited, its good enough as a main light city users - like what you're requesting. Its such a neat unit that I envision most users will leave it on their bike as a back-up for the main light or maybe fit two of them so they never get caught in the dark?

Price will be less than $30 - we'll have a matching rear flasher as well.
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Small bike lights

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 pm

They look great Deon. I'll be up for a pair when you've go them in stock.
User avatar
DaveOZ
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Bowral NSW

Re: Small bike lights

Postby takai » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Looks pretty similar to the Lezyne Femtos i ended up getting: http://www.lezyne.com/en/femto-drive-front
takai
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby roadiematt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 pm

I have a niterider USB mini light it's awesome!!!
roadiematt
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
I have an AWESOME product comming soon. CNC alloy machined light, water proof, runs off 2x coin batteries. Silicon strap and very small like the top of your thumb. 50hrs run time on solid, 150hrs flash.

Image

We just approved the sample and are waiting for stock.

I'm pretty excited, its good enough as a main light city users - like what you're requesting. Its such a neat unit that I envision most users will leave it on their bike as a back-up for the main light or maybe fit two of them so they never get caught in the dark?

Price will be less than $30 - we'll have a matching rear flasher as well.


DEON, what is the lumens on these?
kunalraiker
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 am

Re: Small bike lights

Postby jamesn184 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 pm

I use Blackburn Fleas which are small and bright and are rechargeable can be had for around $50 but worth it in the end
jamesn184
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Small bike lights

Postby jbanh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:56 pm

My housemate has a set of lights from Knog, which despite their size are quite bright relative to their size
jbanh
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 am


Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter