Mountain bike - up to $500

Mogambo

Mountain bike - up to $500

Postby Mogambo » Fri May 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi, I am looking to buy a mountain bike to do some casual riding on the weekends with my son.

I am not a hard core user, and won't be using it on a weekly basis to justify a higher price tag. As such, I thought $500 is probably a reasonable start to this adventure.

I would appreciate any advice and help in deciding what I should be looking for and what kind (brand?) of bike would suit my requirements. I am also hoping that now it's colder, I may be able to pick one up at a good price. Any suggestions on shops to visit, would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri May 16, 2008 4:14 pm

G'day Mogambo,

Welcome to the forum. Do you read the Mogambo Guru's works? He's a financial fruitcake, but I like the way he writes.

I'd say a Giant Boulder is about the right bike for you, based on the info you've supplied for us. It's an entry level MTB with components as good as you're going to find on a bike in this price range.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Fri May 16, 2008 5:17 pm

I agree.

How old is your son? If he gets the bug then you may end up doing this more often than you expect plus trying out some more adventurous terrain. My son's only 7 and I can see this happening already.

And if you get the bug then you'll soon want to upgrade to something better.

But then again if you really get the bug then you'll end up forking out more $s than you'll ever consider paying right now. That's what happened to me.

Mogambo

Postby Mogambo » Fri May 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Thanks Graeme & Jimbo. My son is 7yrs old as well. However, would I really need to spend more to get a semi decent bike for weekend riding, park riding, track riding, etc?

Mogambo

Postby Mogambo » Fri May 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I've also seen another post on this blog about Avanti bikes having a sale, with the Avanti Blade 1.0 for $400. I may go to one of the Sydney stores to check this out. A couple of Giant bikes and at least one Trek bike are also in the under $500 price range.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon May 19, 2008 1:57 am

Mogambo wrote:Thanks Graeme & Jimbo. My son is 7yrs old as well. However, would I really need to spend more to get a semi decent bike for weekend riding, park riding, track riding, etc?
Okay, now you're shifting the goal posts for us. :? ;) Track riding - as far as I understand it - is very serious racing in velodromes on fixed gear bikes. Weekend riding is what all of us do, whether it's 200km road rides or shuttle runs for down-hill mountain biking. Park riding sounds like what you might do with a 7 year old while mum prepares the picnic lunch. See where I'm getting confused?

Exactly where do you want to ride? If you're staying on paved surfaces, you don't need or want a mountain bike and you can disregard the Boulder I suggested earlier.

The Avanti Blade is a fine bike for short rides (and longer ones, if you so desire). Trek and Giant each have a similar line of bikes. Stick to those better known brands and you'll be okay.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mogambo

Postby Mogambo » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 am

Sorry Graeme. When I mentioned "track" riding, I actually meant, dirt track bike riding. In other words, definitely weekend park and some dirt track riding. So I am not really after a road bike as such. I am definitely looking for a mountain bike.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll pick from the Giant, Trek or Avanti range within the $500 mark.

Cheers!

nila

Postby nila » Tue May 20, 2008 1:54 pm

If you live in Sydney Check out Cell bikes - they're great value for money.
Trek 6700 '08
Abus Bordo Lock
Amoeba bar ends

Mogambo

Postby Mogambo » Wed May 21, 2008 11:24 am

Are Cell bikes any good? I've heard of the name, but not sure of how good a bike it is. On their website, there are four bikes in my price range - X-1 ($500), MTX-1 ($300), MTX-2 ($429) & MTX-3 ($500).

Some of the differences are:
X-1: Rigid Alloy Fork, Shimano click Rapid Fire 24 speed with Deore, Shimano C050, Deore LX, EF-50 Shifters, TX71 crank, Tektro V-brakes, 11.8kg.
MTX-1: Zoom alloy crown fork, Shimano EF 29-7 gear set, TX-50 7 speed, Prowheel crank, semi slick tyres, APSE brakes, 14.4kg.
MTX-2: RST CAPA T7 adjustable fork 85mm travel, Shimano click Rapid Fire 24 speed with Deore, Shimano C050, Deore LX, EF 29-8 shifters, TX71 crank, Tektro V-brakes, 14kg.
MTX-3: RST GILA T7 adjustable fork 4 inch travel, Shimano click Rapid Fire 24 speed with Deore, Shimano Acera, Deore LX, EF-50 shifters, Truvativ crank, Tektro disc brakes, 14.9kg.

It would be much appreciated if you could provide your thoughts and comments on the above.

Alternatively, I can always just go with the big branded bikes being Giant, Trek or Avanti, if within the same price points, they provide the same specifications.

Thanks!

nila

Postby nila » Wed May 21, 2008 11:50 am

I had one and up until the point it got stolen I was happy with it and the thief was happy with it as he pedalled away from me on it as I chased him.

No major issues at all and I used it mainly for messing about on, commuting and smacking it up and down kerbs etc. Not a huge amount of serious off roading on it to be honest although I took it to Manly Dam once and it survived that and did fine.

I'd say obviously go for the MTX-3 as you're always best off buying the best you can afford - no point saving $100 to then have to spend it 6 months later buying upgrades or putting it in for services on cheaper parts.

Cell's are a cheaper frame with not bad parts usually. Dont expect them to be super light but the parts are usually not bad. I had the MTX-R2 I think it was because I wanted lockout forks.
For that kind of money you're not going to be getting an amazing bike so I quite like them for what they give.
Trek 6700 '08
Abus Bordo Lock
Amoeba bar ends

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 21, 2008 3:21 pm

nila wrote:I had one and up until the point it got stolen I was happy with it and the thief was happy with it as he pedalled away from me on it as I chased him.
:lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: That would be so mean.

Andrew

nila

Postby nila » Wed May 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
nila wrote:I had one and up until the point it got stolen I was happy with it and the thief was happy with it as he pedalled away from me on it as I chased him.

Andrew
There's never a time you more wish your bike sucked and would lock up or something.
Add to it the fact I was shouting 'stop him, thats my bike, someone push him off it' as I raced after him and no one did anything and its a very annoying experience :(
Trek 6700 '08
Abus Bordo Lock
Amoeba bar ends

zoom bean

Postby zoom bean » Wed May 21, 2008 7:17 pm

I have an MTX-3 and can say it is a fairly decent bike. I had to replace the crank fairly early on after purchasing it but apart from that I haven't really had a problem with it. I go off road a little but not often, mainly stick to the bike paths, foot paths or fire trails. Have had it about a year and only done about 3,000 kms.

It managed to get me about no problem & I'm a fairly large guy (6'2" & was 140kgs when I started riding it), so I can vouch for it being fairly strong. The after market sales assistance left a little to be desired but the bike is still holding together well.

I have just recently upgraded though so I can also vouch for how easy it is to get the bug.

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:16 pm

nila wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
There's never a time you more wish your bike sucked and would lock up or something.
Add to it the fact I was shouting 'stop him, thats my bike, someone push him off it' as I raced after him and no one did anything and its a very annoying experience :(
Mate, I sympathise with you.... I went to the garage a couple of mornings back and discovered my almost-new $5000 Specialized Stumpjumper gone!!! :x
Police recovered it next day minus a few bits and some damage. They know who took it but can't prove it! 15 year old little (AT)%*!?!%s. Lucky for them they left my Bianchi alone..... I would track them down and tear them an extra butthole (sorry ladies, but I'm VERY mad).

nila

Postby nila » Wed May 21, 2008 10:38 pm

I had another bike stolen from my garage too - luckily just another cell.
I fully sympathise.
Nowdays my bike resides in my hallway of my apartment and its going to stay there no matter who thinks it looks messy there.

Lesson I've learnt is - lock up your bike no matter where it is and how safe you think it is (ie even lock it up in your garage!).

I've got this lock now:: 'Abus Bordo Lock' and it seems pretty solid and has good reviews. As well as that it's VERY practical. Cost a lot but worth it!

Cant you find out who the kid is and make them an informal promise of what'll happen if your bike goes missing again?

At least you got it back though, thats impressive! When I called them as I chased the guy they were like 'yeah, well we'll keep our eyes open' - hardly the response I wanted when I just described the guy, the bike he was on and which road he was on!!
Was expecting to hear sirens wailing and the swat team pull up to take him out!
These days I just leave my bike locked no matter what, even when it's right infront of me at that exercise place by the bridge and I'm right there, not risking anyone doing a jump and run with it!

Whats the world coming to! :(
Trek 6700 '08
Abus Bordo Lock
Amoeba bar ends