Flatbar v/s MTB "Explorer Bike"

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Flatbar v/s MTB "Explorer Bike"

Postby Bella truck » Mon May 19, 2008 9:31 am

I am recreational road bike rider (Giant OCR's) and enjoy regular 40- 60km rides.

I am considering a new machine with some increased veratility that may open up rides on roads that you may not normally take a roadie. IE, I am not planning any major off road trips but would probably require benefits of a machine that will handle rough paved or dirt roads. The rides may extend to "backpack touring".

I acknowledge that anything would involve some compromise as follows:
* Flatbar would be quicker in most conditions but possibly harsh on the rougher stuff
* An MTB (with slickish tyres) would handle rough stuff better but be heavy and slower on normal road sections.

Budget is approx around $1,000 and as a guide my options would include Giant Alias, or even Giant Perigee (based on 2009 Spec for $995/$1,095) or even a Avanti Blade 4.0 currently at attractive package and discounted price of $899.

I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone on best option given usage.
Bella truck

by BNA » Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 am

BNA

Postby familyguy » Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 am

I have a 2006 Avanti Blade Pro flat bar, and my dad has a 2007 Giant Perigee. I've ridden both on a variety of surfaces.

Naturally, they both have good points, but it does depend on your desired surface travels.

One thing which may affect your choice is tyre widths. The Perigee will take a 700x32c tyre, which is a plus, as it gives you more scope for that rougher stuff. The Blade will JUST squeeze a 28c into it.

Perigee:
The front suspension fork (with lockout) is a big advantage. You can fix it for road stuff or climbing, and loosen it up for the rougher bits. The Perigee has full size v-brakes, which are good for pushing bigger tyres. Rail trails, dirt, or even loose rocks (if you had to) would probably be fine on the Perigee. The angles are longer, so its a more relaxed ride than the Blade. The gear on the '07 is Deore, so its all made to take the rougher roads.

Blade:
The Blade has Tektro mini-V's, and just squeezes a 28c tyre into it. I run 28c's for mine to commute on, and it can still be harsh on rougher roads. To be honest, I dont think I'd run mine on anything harsher than rough tar or real smooth dirt. I've got 105 gear on mine, and it just doesnt like being bumped around too much.

Hope this helps as a start point.

YMMV, etc, standard disclaimer re: personal opinion.

Jim
familyguy

Postby Boognoss » Mon May 19, 2008 11:18 am

familyguy wrote:
One thing which may affect your choice is tyre widths. The Perigee will take a 700x32c tyre, which is a plus, as it gives you more scope for that rougher stuff. The Blade will JUST squeeze a 28c into it.

My Blade 2 which is a lower model by a couple I think can take up to 32mm rubber (that's what it came with). Does yours have carbon forks?
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby familyguy » Mon May 19, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, mine has carbon forks. The brake pads hit the forks and stop the brake arms from swinging too far over to let a 28+ tyre between them. This happens only on the front. I could probably fit a 32 in the back though.

Interesting to see that Avanti have removed the Blade series from their new model lineup on the website now.

Jim
familyguy

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 19, 2008 9:24 pm

G'Day BT, welcome outside.

Another OCR rider eh? Bet you know what high speed fun is :D :wink:

I've got an OCR2 '07 and an '04(mod) hardtail by Giant, I was impressed by the OCR's ability to handle some pretty rough stuff like sections of the Marybyrnong river trail and gravel road stuff in the hills east of Melb, albeit not as comfortably as the MTB would.

IMO the Perigee would be a better overall compromise than a roadie or MTB based on your stated plans, for the very reasons you and Jim mentioned. You'll sacrifice speed on the smooth bits and a small amount of comfort on the rough over a dedicated bike but you'll never wander into the shed and waste riding time wondering which bike to take out.

Chances are you'll be back here in a while asking for advice on a full on MTB or roadie, the game's addictive like that.

Shaun.

(Disclaimer) I'm a fully committable Giant lover and will plug them free to anyone I haven't bored with my ramble. Giant bikes [or any one brand] may not feel right under your bum, so shop around and do some test riding.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts