Which lock? Vulcan 2000 or Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2

evangelion

Which lock? Vulcan 2000 or Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2

Postby evangelion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Which lock would you rather get or have?

Vulcan Supreme 2000 + cable ~$47
or
Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 w/cable $54

And how does the RavX DX3 $32 compare?

rangersac

Re: Which lock? Vulcan 2000 or Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 am

I've had the Kryptolok Series 2 for three years and no bikes have been pinched whilst I've used it. The only bad thing about it is the bracket for storing lock on your frame whilst pedalling is rubbish, not a problem for me as I keep it in a pannier. For that reason maybe the Vulcan Supreme 2000 is a better bet, as the bracket looks more solid. It's also scored well in reviews. Dunno about the RavX.

Probably more of concern is where you have to lock your bike up. If you can find a high traffic area that's well lit it will improve your security immeasurably.

evangelion

Postby evangelion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks rangers. I read the overall review by the bicyclenetwork. I also compared it to other offerings around that price point and much higher upto $100 including the RavX and Kryptonite's.

This thing for the price is a solid lock. It looks and feels the part and that review indicates that it would be a hard one to break.
Comes with a double bracket which works well from the look of things. The lock alone is 1.2kg!

I went with the long neck version paired with the 7 foot kryptonite cable and combined those 2 should keep my bike safe and sound considering that the locations I will be storing it would be relatively safe anyway.

Got mine from 'The Famous Melbourne Bicycle Centre' in Prahran. They were quite helpful and took their time and to boot gave me 10% of their online prices too :)

Now the question is should I just put the lock and cable in a light backpack or not?
Id probably want to get certain things off the bike and with me eg AirZound during day/night and Front light if at night.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

You might have fun trying to fit lock and cable on the bike so the light pack is probably a good option. There's no getting away from the fact they weigh a bit these locks, which is one of the reasons I carry mine in a pannier along with tool kit, jacket, lights etc. The pannier adds extra weight to the bike, but I find it more comfortable to ride without a backpack, and it gives me peace of mind in case I need to lock the bike up unexpectedly to do some shopping or whatever.