Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 pm

boyracer wrote:Any one recommend which brands to go for on a DISC equipped bike?
CX bike with 35mm tyres and bb7's.

Thinking SKS45's.
The clearance not an issue, just initial fitment..ie. making up some stainless steel bracketry to get around calipers.

How is the NDS side mounted on the Lynskey(?) in Queereg's post? Any tips? Any brands better than SKS.
I've only ever fitted recycled old steel gaurds so not sure what is out there.

I can do some close ups of the mounting for my P45s if it will help. On the Disc Caliper side, the stays are bolted to the ISO Disc Mounts instead of the official eyelets. This means you only need minimal bending of the stays, and the guards are rock solid.
The drive side uses the official fender eyelets.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

by BNA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 pm

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I have ordered a set of SKS Chromoplastic Raceblade LONGs to replace my defunct Crud Roadracers.

Any feedback on those raceblade longs?

They are fitted :)

Mounting of the SKS Raceblade Long turned out to be a breeze and I found the instructions pretty easy to follow. I did initially try to fit the rear one with my existing 25 mm tyres but I just couldn't get the clearance right to switched to Schwalbe Durano 23 mm tyres and all was sweet. The set of mudguards I have is for 18 to 23 mm tyres so I was pushing the design specs in trying 25 mm.

Other than setting up the brake calliper was a simple task as was getting the skewer mounts in place.

I found with the back I did have to fiddle a little with the stays to get good clearance but the front went out without an millimetre of adjustment … that was nice!

Yet to try them on the road in the rain but.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:19 am

Andrew, how bout a pic of the complete bike with the new guards on?
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 am

rifraf wrote:Andrew, how bout a pic of the complete bike with the new guards on?

I will do one once have a decent background ... probably not this weekend but.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 am

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Andrew, how bout a pic of the complete bike with the new guards on?

I will do one once have a decent background ... probably not this weekend but.

Andrew

Look forward to it

Cheers
Aidan :D
rifraf

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 am

Aushiker wrote:
Mounting of the SKS Raceblade Long turned out to be a breeze and I found the instructions pretty easy to follow. I did initially try to fit the rear one with my existing 25 mm tyres but I just couldn't get the clearance right to switched to Schwalbe Durano 23 mm tyres and all was sweet. The set of mudguards I have is for 18 to 23 mm tyres so I was pushing the design specs in trying 25 mm.

Other than setting up the brake calliper was a simple task as was getting the skewer mounts in place.

I found with the back I did have to fiddle a little with the stays to get good clearance but the front went out without an millimetre of adjustment … that was nice!

Yet to try them on the road in the rain but.

Andrew

Excellent feedback, thanks for that :)
warthog1

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm

For Aidan ... still not great photos but hopefully give more of an idea ...

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Red Rider » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Love is taking your bike for a photo shoot!
Red Rider

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Superb Andrew - looks well worth the effort - well done.
I'm very envious :mrgreen:
Thanks for remembering :D
rifraf

Postby biker jk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Andrew. Have you test ridden the new mudguards? I have read reports of the stays snapping out of the brackets over rough roads, bumps, etc. Indeed, SKS recalled them as faulty in mid-2012 and a new improved version was provided. Also, is the front guard low enough on the rear side to stop water hitting the underside of the downtube? Does the gap in the rear guard create any problems?
biker jk

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:21 am

Great photos, thanks. :)
Does that chain need a link out of it?
warthog1

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 am

Red Rider wrote:Love is taking your bike for a photo shoot!

Not quite the planned photo shoot location but a blown front sidewall meant an aborted ride but I hope it qualifies :)

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby takai » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:10 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Summernight wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Can you get the rear wheel off 'Larry' with the guards on? Looks awfully close, although I suppose the tyre would mainly be flat when you're getting it off, however you'd want to be sure it could in case you try to install a wheel with the tyre pumped up.

Cheers,

Cameron

If you're asking about the Crudracers I can say from personal experience that the rear wheel can be taken off and on flat as well as fully pumped up with the mudguards in place.

Hi Summernight,
I'd noticed that takai has a single speed with rearward pointing fork ends (dropouts point forward or down), to remove the wheel means that it has to go backwards and there is not a lot of space to do that.

If he has to remove the wheel he might be able to get away with it if the tyre is flat. If he can he'd also need to reinstall the wheel with the tyre flat and then inflate it. If he can't then a puncture will be a more complex issue for him than for most others since it would involve having to release the guard.

Cheers,

Cameron

Turns out the SKSs have enough flex that you can just pull the guard back to let the wheel out. So I popped a pair of the secuclips on the back too.

takai

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks for the pics Aushiker (above a few posts).
Very impressive - the pics, the bike and of course the fabulous fenders :D

My ordering of mudguards from On-One turned out to be a joke because they had the wrong size on their
website.
After taking a few weeks to arrive, what came out of the box wasnt the advertised 60mm but a 40mm wide fender set
Well no way were they going to fit a 60-622 tire.
After some phone calls and a couple more weeks I got a refund without having to return them as it was going to be over $100 to send them back.
The thing I'm miffed about is that they are still misrepresenting the damn fenders despite my emailing/phoning about the issue.
They have now changed the wording to 40mm wide but they still have yet to remove the "Fits for tire from 700C x 2,00 to 2,35 inches". That really rattles my chain.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSGBSSFS/gi ... fender_set

Anyway, I've some 60mm Gilles Bethoud stainless fenders on their way from France (from Gilles Berthoud).
Hopefully they can be made to fit the Ogre and offer adequate coverage of my Big Apple tires.
Yet to find out if its possible to make their fat stays bend around a front disk caliper.
The rear will have to be cut behind the rear of my pannier rack and hinge added to rejoin the two parts.
This is due to the Ogres horizontal rear dropouts, necessitating rearward wheel removal rather than downward.
PITA :roll:
rifraf

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am

Went for a ride in a steady deluge this morning. When I got home I stood the bike on its rear wheel to drain water out of the frame through the weep holes in the ends of the chain stays. No water came out at all despite heavy rain and pooling water on the road.
For me this confirms most of the water was entering the frame via spray off the back wheel. It was hitting the seat post and running down into the frame via the notch in the seat tube.
Rear mudguard means no spray off the back wheel and thus a dry butt and dry frame. :)
warthog1

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 am

takai wrote: The whole integrated end cap thing just doesnt work well, and because of the nature of the guard each of the adjustments affects the others.

Plus the brake mounting holes dont fit recessed bolts, and then the front mount fouled on the headset, requiring a bunch of modifying.

Forum ate my response...

Cut the caps, fit after you trim the stays

Use Sheldon Fender Nuts, makes fitting the brake mounts much simpler.

I'd also make a "bridge" by ziptieing around your chainstays, and ziptieing the guard to that. Having it so high up is funneling water and grit into your drivetrain.
Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:56 am

Aushiker wrote:[racelight granfondo]

Why did you choose guards designed for a race bike with no eyelets when you have a frame with proper fender mounts at the dropouts and bridge? (Edit: I see you damaged a P35 in the past.)

The circumferential & lateral coverage of SKS P35 / Planet Bike Cascadias / any proper aluminium guard (Gilles Berthoud etc) would be far superior, and removing the wheels will be much easier too. The rear is so short that the water will be directed onto your crankset and feet!

The other current 'best' option for bikes that don't have mounts and clearances for proper guards are the PDW full metal fenders. Only good for up to 23mm tyres though.
Blakeylonger

Postby biker jk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

Blakeylonger wrote:
Aushiker wrote:[racelight granfondo]

Why did you choose guards designed for a race bike with no eyelets when you have a frame with proper fender mounts at the dropouts and bridge? (Edit: I see you damaged a P35 in the past.)

The circumferential & lateral coverage of SKS P35 / Planet Bike Cascadias / any proper aluminium guard (Gilles Berthoud etc) would be far superior, and removing the wheels will be much easier too. The rear is so short that the water will be directed onto your crankset and feet!

The other current 'best' option for bikes that don't have mounts and clearances for proper guards are the PDW full metal fenders. Only good for up to 23mm tyres though.

I have a Kinesis Racelight frame with fender mounts and the SKS Chromoplastics but they present two problems. First, the recessed front brake bolt means the fender mount goes forward of the fork so coverage of the lower part of the front wheel by the fender is reduced. This leads to water/mud hitting the downtube from around half way down. Second, the fender material is brittle and my rear has lost a chunk on both sides from the metal brake bridge digging into it. The caused rattling which I have had to address via cable ties. I should also mentioned that a rear brake bridge had also cracked and I had to replace it. So the SKS Chromoplastics are far from perfect and so understand people looking for other options.
biker jk

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 am

biker jk wrote:First, the recessed front brake bolt means the fender mount goes forward of the fork so coverage of the lower part of the front wheel by the fender is reduced. This leads to water/mud hitting the downtube from around half way down.

Second, the fender material is brittle and my rear has lost a chunk on both sides from the metal brake bridge digging into it. The caused rattling which I have had to address via cable ties. I should also mentioned that a rear brake bridge had also cracked and I had to replace it. So the SKS Chromoplastics are far from perfect and so understand people looking for other options.

Sheldon Fender Nuts. There's versions for steel and for carbon forks. The SKS aren't long enough even then though, but if you DIY a mudflap you can solve that issue. They used to come with a (too short IMHO) mudflap, but don't anymore.

I have a set of chromoplastics (actually ESGE, the precursor) that are at least 30 years old and aside from a split at the end of the front from running on the tyre when maladjusted, they're fine. I've also got a set of P35s on a bike that have given me 4+ years of daily service and nothing's failed yet. The key is fitting them properly so they're not under strain. It takes time, but is well worth it.

In a perfect world our bikes would have threaded mounts at the crown/brake/BB that are all equidistant from the axle, and we'd fit long GB / Honjo aluminium fenders. But P35/Cascadia are a good compromise, especially at the price and PDW are the current best compromise for tight clearance / no mount bikes, with raceblade longs second.

You can set your clearances so most debris gets through, but nothing will save a fender from an errant stick.

I'll post pics later on of a Kinesis with sheldon nutted, mudflapped, tail lit P35s, around true 28mm tyres.
Blakeylonger

Postby takai » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:
takai wrote: The whole integrated end cap thing just doesnt work well, and because of the nature of the guard each of the adjustments affects the others.

Plus the brake mounting holes dont fit recessed bolts, and then the front mount fouled on the headset, requiring a bunch of modifying.

Forum ate my response...

Cut the caps, fit after you trim the stays

Use Sheldon Fender Nuts, makes fitting the brake mounts much simpler.

I'd also make a "bridge" by ziptieing around your chainstays, and ziptieing the guard to that. Having it so high up is funneling water and grit into your drivetrain.

The guard actually sits between the chain stays but just looks higher, it's just zip tied to the sestpost as that was convenient.

As for the Sheldon nuts that's basically what I did, lathe and about 10mins.
takai

Postby Crawf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 pm

takai wrote:The guard actually sits between the chain stays but just looks higher, it's just zip tied to the sestpost as that was convenient.

As for the Sheldon nuts that's basically what I did, lathe and about 10mins.

If you don't have a mount in between the chainstays a Zefal Gizmo will do the job.
Crawf

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Is that what you've got holding that cage on Crawf?

Hope so, saves me starting a thread...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 pm

I thought Crawf couldn't remember the name, but it seems it really is called the Zefal Gizmo
2 clamps for mounting a bottle cage on the bike with no pads provided for this purpose.
Do not scratch the frame.
For all diameters from 10 to 60 mm
find_bruce

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks Bruce :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Crawf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 am

Yeh sorry that does sound like a made up name doesn't it - but thats what it be :)'

It'll attached to any tube (multiple sizes) and has a 5mm thread from memory. Amazon was the cheapest from memory.
Crawf

PreviousNext

Return to Buying a bike / parts