steel commuter frame

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

steel commuter frame

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 pm

I am looking to replace my broken alloy/carbon frame that I had been using as a commuter with a more appropriate heavier duty frame that will accept mudguards. The bike will be a work horse so weight is not important, and I don't want to spend much. I'm looking at steel and am interested in 2 options from the UK.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKV2/planet_x_kaffenback_swap_out_frame

and
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/frames-frames-audax-winter-ribble-winter-audax-525-frame/ribbfraw240

Has anyone got any feedback on either of these frames?
warthog1

by BNA » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:07 pm

BNA

Re: steel commuter frame

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Found these on a google search :oops:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57515
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57609
After reading those the ribble is probably more realistic for me as I would have to cough up for disc brakes and wheels at the same time for the planet x and the funds aren't there at the moment.
warthog1

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 pm

warthog1 wrote:After reading those the ribble is probably more realistic for me as I would have to cough up for disc brakes and wheels at the same time for the planet x and the funds aren't there at the moment.
Agree. You don't really need a rear disc brake for road because it's only a control brake.
More aero drag, weight and cost in comparison with less benefit received by a rear disc IMO.
Nobody

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Nobody wrote:Agree. You don't really need a rear disc brake for road because it's only a control brake.
More aero drag, weight and cost in comparison with less benefit received by a rear disc IMO.

Thanks, never ridden with any disc brakes so I'll take your word for it.
warthog1

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

It's a commuter. I think discs would be overkill. Plus don't you want to use your existing parts?
singlespeedscott

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:Thanks, never ridden with any disc brakes so I'll take your word for it.
Nothing super special. Just a bit better modulation and in some cases more power in the dry. It just becomes amazing in the wet when they act the same as in the dry. IMO there is real value in pulling the lever in any conditions and knowing what to expect.
Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:It's a commuter. I think discs would be overkill. Plus don't you want to use your existing parts?
Where have you been? Discs are popular with modern commuter bikes and getting more so as time goes on. I take it you don't mind grinding away your front rim in the wet?

I've got a good V brake (Avid Ultimate) on the front of my utility/wet bike. It is OK for a bit of wet, but it still needs a bit of lead time/distance when it gets really wet. Discs don't need this so are safer in the wet.
Nobody

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

I ride my commuter up to 300km a week in all weather. The 30 year old Gran Compe centre pulls have plenty of power and have yet to wear away my rims. I also use the same bike for wet weather training.

I have nothing against discs. The Shimano XT ice tech discs on my mtb are the most awesome brakes I have ever used. On the road I have yet to ride in conditions were they would be warranted though. The centre pulls on steep wet mountain descents can easily overcome the traction of my tyres.

In the dry I think discs would allow me to go deeper into the twisty descents but that's about it.
singlespeedscott

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:50 am

That's the thing with brakes. Each individual's equipment and experience with that equipment is often so different. I've generally never fared that well with cantis in the past. Didn't like the caliper brakes I had either. That is what pushed me to try a disc. Tried going back to V on the front just to see what it was like. But had too much trouble with it, so reverted to disc.
Nobody

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 am

Here is the geometry of the 525 audax frame for those interested;

Thank you for your enquiry.

Our 525 Steel Audax frame has the same geometry as our other sportive bikes, and I have included the geometry chart below. The only slight difference with the 525 frame is that the large and extra large frames have headtubes of 155 and 165 respectively (as oppposed to 175 and 200 on the chart above).
warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 am

singlespeedscott wrote:It's a commuter. I think discs would be overkill. Plus don't you want to use your existing parts?

I do need to use existing parts but would like a front disc for the wet weather for the reasons Nobody has mentioned. It's going to have to wait though.
I have a steep descent on the commute and in the wet weather the caliper pads are picking up grit and grinding the braking surface badly, sounds terrible. That rim will have to do for this winter and I'll work towards a front disc fork, wheel and caliper in the future. I'll have to lay low and lick my wounds for a while after the frame purchase :oops: She is not happy at all :(
warthog1

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 am

I like those look of the Ribble frames. I just wish they came with a matching steel fork and a horizontal top tube like their aluminum framest. I don't understand why you would get steel and not have the feel of a matched fork.
singlespeedscott

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm very interested in the 525 complete bike.
For a tad over $2000 I can have a full Ultegra groupset and Shimano RS80 wheels.
I've had these wheels for a couple of years on another bike and been very happy with them.
Can't see any problems with Ultegra running gear.
Oooooh am I tempted.
Seems like very good value to me.
Nothing wrong with Reynolds tubing either. It might just last a lifetime. Better than a Cannondale lifetime anyway.
Objections, comments?
Tim

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:28 am

I would have one over a "cracknfail" any time. Actually saw yet another cracked cannondale at the door of the bike shop I visited yesterday.
singlespeedscott

Postby kukamunga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:45 am

warthog1 wrote:I am looking to replace my broken alloy/carbon frame that I had been using as a commuter with a more appropriate heavier duty frame that will accept mudguards. The bike will be a work horse so weight is not important, and I don't want to spend much. I'm looking at steel and am interested in 2 options from the UK
The Ribble geometry looks like a short chainstayed, short wheelbased, quick-steering beast that only accepts road caliper brakes and narrow 25C tyres with mudguards at max

The PlanetX, (despite the geometry specs not being very thorough), has a more stable 420mm chainstay length, and looks like it will more readily accept larger tyres and fenders, and more importantly, is v-brake/canti compatible

A bit like chalk and cheese, really..... and how much of your current componentry is compatible with these frames?

If it's steel you're after, why not look at some of Jamis's local offerings (Satellite, Bosanova*, Aurora, Coda) through Adventure Brands, or the GT Corsa 1, or the heavy duty Mongoose Rogue?

(* My pick of the bunch)
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby Nobody » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 am

kukamunga wrote:A bit like chalk and cheese, really..... and how much of your current componentry is compatible with these frames?
These posts should explain a bit more:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63070#p949206
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=59260

kukamunga wrote:If it's steel you're after, why not look at some of Jamis's local offerings (Satellite, Bosanova*, Aurora, Coda) through Adventure Brands, or the GT Corsa 1, or the heavy duty Mongoose Rogue?

(* My pick of the bunch)
I like the Jamis steel bikes due to their sensible seat tube angles in the size 54 frames. Makes it easier for Brooks saddles.
http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applicatio ... grp=road_9
Nobody

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:36 am

Very much liking the look of the Jamis bikes, thanks.
Beautiful, beautiful steel.
Who'd buy (e)poxy plastic when you can have such great, comfortable good-value bikes. :)
Tim

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:34 pm

kukamunga wrote:The Ribble geometry looks like a short chainstayed, short wheelbased, quick-steering beast that only accepts road caliper brakes and narrow 25C tyres with mudguards at max

The PlanetX, (despite the geometry specs not being very thorough), has a more stable 420mm chainstay length, and looks like it will more readily accept larger tyres and fenders, and more importantly, is v-brake/canti compatible

A bit like chalk and cheese, really..... and how much of your current componentry is compatible with these frames?

If it's steel you're after, why not look at some of Jamis's local offerings (Satellite, Bosanova*, Aurora, Coda) through Adventure Brands, or the GT Corsa 1, or the heavy duty Mongoose Rogue?

(* My pick of the bunch)

I am swapping over an ultegra 6600 groupset onto it. I am hoping it will take 28s but if not 25's will do.
It should take all my bits off the old frame including seat post and will take mudguards which is what I want.
The head tube is pretty short but I want a similar set up to my roadie as commuting is training for me.
I'll post it up when I get the frame.
warthog1

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Tim wrote:Very much liking the look of the Jamis bikes, thanks.
Beautiful, beautiful steel.
Who'd buy (e)poxy plastic when you can have such great, comfortable good-value bikes. :)

To bad it is again let down via a carbon fork. If you want steel why would you get a one with a carbon fork?
singlespeedscott

Postby Nobody » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:49 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:If you want steel why would you get a one with a carbon fork?
Agree, but at least the Bosanova carbon fork has a steel steerer. Anyway, you can always buy a different steel fork fairly cheaply.
Nobody

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:39 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:If you want steel why would you get a one with a carbon fork?

The frame is not supplied with any fork, that is just the one they specify cheaply. The cheap bit is the reason I ordered one :) , that and it fits the short reach calipers that I have to fit it. I might swap it for a disc fork one day anyway.
warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Those Jamis bikes are nice, if I was starting from scratch I reckon I'd go for one. They look like great commuters :)
warthog1

Postby kukamunga » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

In Melb, you'll find a lot of stockists of steel bikes in the inner north-east burbs
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Still waiting for the bloody bits to arrive :x
In the mean time, alloy seat post into steel frame: grease it first?
warthog1

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 pm

warthog1 wrote:Still waiting for the bloody bits to arrive :x
In the mean time, alloy seat post into steel frame: grease it first?

(Almost) Always. CF is the almost IIRC.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts