buying wheels?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

buying wheels?

Postby janus77 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Went into the LBS this evening after work, they're going to have a sale starting Monday to clear out 07 gear to make way for new 08 stock.. I've been playing with the idea of getting myself a fixie/ss with drop bars for the commute.

The shop guy who spent some time talking to me about pros and cons of buying complete bikes v's building something up reckoned that the Kona Paddy wagon was the best cost/quality option for getting into the fixie world. There was also a Cannondale option which was slightly more expensive, Aluminium framed, good components. Then next up the rung was a Soma rush.

The other option i am considering is finding an older steel frame and getting a set of wheels built up for it. The LBS guy reckoned the starting price for a set of wheels was about $450. I thought I'd try to get people's opinions on this.
janus77

by BNA » Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 pm

BNA

Postby Hawkeye » Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Wheels built = not cheap. High labour component to the cost. Maybe better to buy a wheelbuilding book and have a go yourself. The spend will be a little less, and you'll have added to your knowledge net worth.
Hawkeye

Postby sandman » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 pm

I'd have a look at Chainreaction or Probikekit.. Wheels are FAR cheaper if you get them direct from overseas
sandman

Postby janus77 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:02 am

i've had a look on probikebit and chainreaction, however I can't see any wheels which have fixed/ss rear hubs? If you order a set of say Mavic Aksium wheels, is there an option to have a fix/ss hub instead of geared?
janus77

Postby winona_rider » Fri May 23, 2008 10:37 am

look on ebay....

don't have time to post all the stores but wheel and sprocket are a good place to start. i think i bought my velocity deep v's from them

linky
winona_rider

Postby rustychisel » Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 am

No. There are bodges but none are really effective or worthwhile. Best to source a good track hub and build a rear wheel from there, then sourcing appropriate rim etc.
When it comes to buying new or sourcing the components from new, there's no such thing as a cheap wheel. A Mavic OpenPro rim will cost you at least $120 (if you can get one), spokes another $30 minimum... you do the math.

Oh, and we haven't got into the muddy waters of finding the right measurement OLN, respacing the axle, utilising an old freewheel hub or anything like that. A competent LBS should be able to help with your requirements to a budget.

PS: front wheel - who cares. A front wheel is a front wheel...
rustychisel

Postby challs » Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 am

Hi,

I considered building an old road bike up as a fixed gear commuter too. After looking at the cost involved, as well as the hassle, I decided to buy the Cannondale Capo. It has been excellent, the frame is great and will see many years of upgrades. The wheels, while not the best quality, a pretty well bombproof. It might have been cheaper to build a bike up myself, but I felt more confident knowing that the Cannondale was brand new and under warranty etc. However, you should be able to buy some track wheels for less than $450...here are some from Hillbrick..
http://www.hillbrick.com.au/component/p ... Itemid,66/
I guess the problem is that you can't really buy track wheels like thesde because they don't have a machined braking surface
challs

Return to Buying a bike / parts