What Bike to Buy??? - Under or around $1000

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

What Bike to Buy??? - Under or around $1000

Postby cheski » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 am

Hey Guys

I have been for a while now pondering over whether to buy a new bicycle, and have finally given in and have taken the step to commit around $1000 to buy a new one. :DDD

So having a look at the BNA website, particularly the FAQs and basics about bikes, I was able to figure out that I require a large frame. I would like preferably a mountain bike, which I would use for riding from around the streets, for rides (around 30km trips), and for riding on bicycle trails and slight rugged terrain in the bush. Ideally I would buy 2 bikes, though I cannot justify doing so at the stage.

I owned around 5 years ago an entry range giant mountain bike (paid around $300 from LBS) which served me well for 2 years, though I could tell after 6 months or so that it wasn't going to last very long. I want something thats going to last a me a while longer.

I have had a look at past threads, and for example the torpedo7 bikes seemed to rank well in terms of good value for money. Though the problem is many of the threads are outdated, and the models/ special pricing hence are out of date.Therefore could people please give me the best options for my budget. I am able to extend my budget a little bit more, if its worth it.

SInce I bet this question comes up frequently, it might be good for BNA to start a new thread every quarter giving visitors advice about the best bikes to buy at that moment, based on bicycle type (ie mountain (ie freeride, cross country), road, hyprid) and price range (ie <$1000, <$2000, +$2000), including any good special/ offers out there at the moment). I think this is a really good idea.

Anyways Id appreciate any help I can get. If you need any further clarifications, please let me know.

Thank you, Benny :)
cheski

by BNA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm

BNA

Re: What Bike to Buy??? - Under or around $1000

Postby Jondalar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Benny,

I'm no expert but having been down this trail a couple of years ago can maybe help a little. We initially bought hybrid bikes, Scott Sportster 50's (around 700 each) which may suit you, however it depends how rugged the terrain you want to do. Eventually we decided that hybrids weren't so good for us and we now have 29'er MTB. The hybrids are a little faster on paths and roads but the 29ers give more comfort plus can do more rugged trails (anyone who's hit sand on a hybrid would know what I mean, instant dead stop). My fiance rides a Giant Talon 0 which is a great bike for around $1000, the LBS changed the shifters to Shimano Deore as she didn't like the SRAM shifters (no gear indication). My bike now is a Scott Scale 960 (aroond 1400) but has RockShox air fork and is lighter despite having a Large vs Small frame. For your budget you should be able to get something with Deore or XT Shimano or the SRAM equivalent. It's definitely worth getting the better group set (gears) as the speed of shifting and durability goes up a lot over the Acera we had on the hybrids. If you can wait til around September/October when the 2014 models are coming out you'll probably be able to get up to 30% off, if things are still in stock

Cheers,
Karl.
Jondalar

Re: What Bike to Buy??? - Under or around $1000

Postby antipodean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 pm

These are an awesome buy especially when on special (now).

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/KHB ... e-29er-mtb
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Return to Buying a bike / parts