Newbie - first post lots of questions

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Newbie - first post lots of questions

Postby SydneyFC2010 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi,
This is my first post and I am new to bike riding. Basically the story is that I am an injured jogger who pulled out an old bike in the garage and actually found out that I like riding better than running in terms of keeping my body in an uninjured state. I have a lot of questions. I have an old Graicross Black Fox 26'' bike not really a mountain bike more a bike for general riding. I have got it working but I suspect the chain gears really need replacing. If I am to replace the gears what are the options and where should I start? If I start by replacing the rear wheel what sort of wheel would fit the frame? What about a cassette (not really sure if this is the right word) and the rear and front derailleur. At the moment I would prefer to replace the parts bit by bit as finances allow and I do have a sort of sentimental attachment to the frame. Are these frames any good at all? I would like to gradually build up a good bike. So what are the steps and options? Any help will be appreciated.
SydneyFC2010

by BNA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 pm

BNA

Re: Newbie - first post lots of questions

Postby antipodean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Bikes are cheap don't waste your time or money on the junker.
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Agree, not economic for what it is. Understand the sentiment, but you'll have a much more enjoyable experience after saving your pennies and investing in a better quality bike.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby SydneyFC2010 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks for that guys. You have clarified my mind on that one. I was kind of thinking along those lines to some point anyway. Now to save the pennies.
SydneyFC2010

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 pm

I think you will find heaps of second hand hi performance machines too, as an option if you seek that sort of thing. Save the big purchases for later.

Perhaps some with experience could advise the OP. I know that a couple of my mates managed to score the odd 3 yo beasts just thru LBS's at about 1/3 price a few years back. I imagine that there would be a lot of double butted CroMos around. Yes?
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby SydneyFC2010 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:39 pm

So what are/is LBS's and double butted CroMos? Sorry for my ignorance.
SydneyFC2010

Postby lucky7 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:55 pm

LBS = local bike shop

CroMo is a relatively light weigh steel used for bike frames
lucky7

Postby SydneyFC2010 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for that.
SydneyFC2010

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

2nd picking up a decent 2nd hand bike.

First decision is style of riding you want.
- road bike
- mountain bike
- hybrid?

Key is what style of riding you currently like, if you go a hybrid I predict you will be wanting to change to something more suitable in 6 months or less so better of looking at what you enjoy and buying accordingly from the outset.

There are online bike calculators for working out your frame size and some good resources for fitting yourself to a bike. This will get you 95% of the way there and far enough to really enjoy it.

I picked up a $2.5k bike for $1k at 2 years old and it has been brilliant. Just upgraded the wheels which now officially cost more than I paid for the bike and it is like getting a whole new bike again!
Scarfy96

Return to Buying a bike / parts