Used bike pick: Merrida 905 Race Lite v Giant TCR Alliance 2

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Used bike pick: Merrida 905 Race Lite v Giant TCR Alliance 2

Postby alwlim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:01 pm

So I got doored last week, and the insurance payout means I get to pick a new ride (my carbon fork and alu frame were write-offs). My components are Sora/2300 and they weren't really worth the money/effort on a new frame so I decided to go used. I've narrowed it down to a Merida 905 Race Lite (Frame seen herehttp://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8017) and a Giant TCR Alliance 2. The Giant comes with Ultegra Shifters, 105 derailleurs and a SRAM crank. The Merida comes with an all-Tiagra groupset. Both aluminum bikes with carbon forks and seatstays. Pretty comparable bikes IMO. Couldn't really go wrong with either.

I ride pretty hard over short distances (up to 20km each time) and am looking to get into longer distances, hopefully join a club for fitness rides. It'd also be my commuter bike to and from school. I foresee myself using the ride for a while... well, until the next accident I suppose :)

Would appreciate some advice from those who have owned these rides before, or anyone who could weigh in. I know it's wiser to test the bikes for myself, but they are both located pretty far out and I'm still recovering from a sore back post-accident. I've ridden a 57cm (top tube) bike before and found them a bit large. The Giant is an M-L:53.5 which I feel might just suit me, and the Merida slightly larger (53cms).

Thanks in advance. Hope to get active on the forums too, as commitment to a bike fitness program!
alwlim

by BNA » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:10 am

BNA

Re: Used bike pick: Merrida 905 Race Lite v Giant TCR Allian

Postby TMjpn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:10 am

Merida and Giant are quite similar brands, with perhaps Giant having a slight advantage with perceived quality. I think with what you are looking at tho you'll likely find a newer Merida for same money as an aged TCR.

If you're looking at the Giant Alliance 2 (Silver/Red) on ebay atm, I would stay away. The groupset is an effective mongrel bunch of parts, tho they look a few years old, 2 or 3 generations for some - the Tiagra shod Merida looks a bit better quality wise.I think you can do better for the money - and those prices are prone to increase. In fact instead of ebay, i often find gumtree results are better, as well as a WTB post here in these forums might dig up something else :)

I just ordered a race-lite 904 frameset for a bargin. I would very much like to try it out and give you feedback on it but can't yet :cry:

Trying to find some ~$500 bikes for you..
TMjpn

Postby alwlim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks for weighing in! Congrats on the race-lite 904 frameset, can't wait to see the pix when you're done setting it up.

Yep, that's the Giant I was looking at. I was sold by the size. I'm about 5"11, and I feel like I'm in between sizes (M, and L) for a good fit. I hate stretching over too much over the drops, because of an old back injury. I noticed the mishmash of parts too, but I could have done a groupset overhaul if I wished, in the future.

I know very little about the Merida, cos I've never seen it before, plus the catalogues have all been wiped out the net or something...

You're right about eBay. I hate bidding wars. Would much rather make a deal with a person one-to-one. Tends to be less slimy too.
alwlim

Postby TMjpn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Well for the outlay I'd go with the more modern frame - so the Merida all the way, That giant is earlier than 09. However, for you, both Giant and Merida in M/L is what your after, not a L. I'm 6'1" and 56cm top tube is my size (M/L in Giant/Merida Speak). L is about 57cm+
TMjpn

Postby alwlim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Actually I have reason to believe the Merida is from 2007! I'm not quite sure how to tell these things actually - I just go by the bike catalogs. I've been riding a 56/57cm (can't remember) Reid Osprey for a while (well until it crashed), I hated how the bike wasn't really my size and very much secretly wished a revert to my old bike, a 54cm Apollo.
alwlim

Return to Buying a bike / parts