First bike - help!?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

First bike - help!?

Postby Willohfish » Mon May 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi guys,

I'm buying my first bike because I've just become a carer for a family member, and since I don't have a license nor time to learn to drive I need something to bring home their shopping. I've been using a friend's bike for the past few weeks but she really needs it back soon.

My budget is around $400-600. I'm an average sized girl, a little over 5'6". Because this is for shopping I need a rack on the back and basket on the front, but I'm aware that they can be put on most any bike. The local supermarket is a 5km round trip from home, and I live on the top of a fairly steep hill; There is a bike track that runs pretty much the entire way there, but it isn't smoothly paved.

It would help immensely while shopping if I knew what specifics I should be looking for. You're all far more experienced than I, so I trust your opinions. Please, I would be very grateful for any help.
Willohfish

by BNA » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 pm

BNA

Re: First bike - help!?

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 pm

G'Day Willo, welcome outside :)
Well done for taking on such a tough job. More strength to you. 8)

As to the bike, I'll point you in THIS direction but I'm sure a dozen other people will have their own ideas to throw in.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a helmet and something to fix a flat tyre into your calculations. You might be able to sweet talk the shop into a discount on them as a package.

Good luck with it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby antipodean » Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 pm

In the spam direction Shaun?
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 pm

No spam, legit bikeexchange search but the original URL won't work with bbcode, it's got [ ] in it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts