Will these bars and leavers work?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Will these bars and leavers work?

Postby frogleg » Tue May 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi,

New to this sort of stuff so have a question or two regarding some new bars I am looking at.

I am looking at the Cinelli Lola Cowhorn bars http://www.wiggle.com.au/cinelli-lola-c ... handlebar/

And a pair of Avid Speed Dial 7 brake leavers http://www.wiggle.com.au/avid-speed-dia ... ke-levers/

Will these bars and leavers work together? I also have a Shimano Acera 8 speed shifter.

My current bars are flat and roughly 56cm long and the bars above come it at roughly 40cm.

Just not sure if it will all fit in and if i should be looking at something wider. I do like the cowhorn/bullhorn style bars.

Thanks
frogleg

by BNA » Tue May 21, 2013 3:38 pm

BNA

Re: Will these bars and leavers work?

Postby RonK » Tue May 21, 2013 3:38 pm

No - the cowhorns are road bars and are a larger diameter than flat (MTB) bars. These levers won't fit.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby frogleg » Tue May 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks. So if I cant find a 8 speed shifter that will fit road bars I am pretty much screwed?
frogleg

Postby RonK » Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 pm

frogleg wrote:Thanks. So if I cant find a 8 speed shifter that will fit road bars I am pretty much screwed?

Don't fancy your chances. Fitting bullhorns gets very complicated finding compatible brakes and controls. It's taken me hours of research in the past to work it out.

About your only option will be bar end shifters - 8 speed bar end shifters are still readily available.

Then depending on your choice of brake levers, you can mount them either in the bar ends, or on Paul Thumbies.

Or you could use these IRD Power Ratchet Friction Thumb Shifters. Tidy.

I assume by your choice of the Speed Dial levers that your bike has v-brakes. Therefore you need a linear (long) pull lever to fit a bullhorn road bar - a rare combination. If you mount the gear levers in the bar ends you could use Cross levers.

If you mount the gear levers on Thumbies, then you could fit a Reverse lever in the bar end.

Whatever your choice, there are a few different mounting arrangements you could use. I have seen this one which looks quite ergonomic. I quite like this arrangement and would probably choose it.

But you could choose to mount the Thumbies close to the stem, or if you choose to fit the gear levers in the bar ends, fit the Cross levers close to the stem. These options are not very good ergonomically though.

Another quite ergonomic option would be to use Thumbies and Cross levers both mounted close to the stem.

These brake levers and Thumbies are high quality items and you will pay accordingly. They are available from Paul Component Engineering.

You'll also need cables and bar tape. It will be a fairly expensive exercise.

Bonus - Cross and Reverse levers can be configured as short-pull or long-pull by moving the pivot, so they are compatible with v-brakes, cantilevers and caliper brakes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby frogleg » Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 am

Wow, thanks for the very informative post. I have some thinking to do.
frogleg

Postby MattyK » Wed May 22, 2013 11:15 am

Maybe try these bars which are sized for MTB brake levers (22.2mm)
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBO ... _handlebar

Then maybe TT bar end shifters, and CX inline brake levers clamped around the bar ends and with a reversed cable pull? Just a thought, no idea if it would be ergonomic or practical.
MattyK

Return to Buying a bike / parts