Abus Amparo

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Abus Amparo

Postby rifraf » Wed May 22, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm interested in getting one of these, however I've looked on a few sites and there appears to be a few
different versions.

from bike24:

Mount:

LH for simple mount on seatstays
SP for simple mount on multi-wall
CL for mount on seatstays with included universal clamps

How is it determined which model number suits what bike?
I've a Surly Ogre I'm wanting to secure.
Cheers :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

by BNA » Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 pm

BNA

Re: Abus Amparo

Postby KenGS » Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Assuming you are referring to the Amparo 4850
If in doubt go with the CL which has universal mounting straps. The other variants require mounting points on the frame to screw onto.
I've got two with the CL mounts and had no problems fitting them
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby rifraf » Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm

KenGS wrote:Assuming you are referring to the Amparo 4850
If in doubt go with the CL which has universal mounting straps. The other variants require mounting points on the frame to screw onto.
I've got two with the CL mounts and had no problems fitting them

Thanks KenGS,
Appreciate the heads up.
I think the other variants suit what I guess are European frames which commonly have factory mounts for these or similar types of locks.
Do they rattle around at all once mounted correctly?
rifraf

Postby KenGS » Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 pm

No rattles at all. The only "problem" is an occasional heel strike on the handle. But nothing that worries me.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby RonK » Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't get the point of these - nearly a kilo of lock and you still need a cable lock as well to secure your bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby rifraf » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 pm

RonK wrote:I don't get the point of these - nearly a kilo of lock and you still need a cable lock as well to secure your bike.

With the Moulton it was really the Sondelux I was insecure about and made a point of the front wheel being locked to the frame on the rare occasion I deemed fit to pop into a shop and have it momentarily out of sight.
The Ogre has Son28 up front and the "Hoff" which whilst not favored by "all" is still a significant portion of my net worth. :wink:
The Abus consideration is more about my feeling secure rather than tangible benefit. It leaves me the Abus Granite D-lock to dissuade anyone from thinking they like my Surly more than I do.
I reckon it could induce quite a headache to those not able to recognise the yellow and black "scheme" might carry a sting. :lol: :lol:
Ron its just about adding some extra inconvenience to a potential tea-leaf to make them hopefully look for an easier target.
I no longer drive Ron so the bikes get used for a milk run to the local corner store on occasion. I lock the bike each and every time even knowing I'm no more than 2 minutes inside as unfortunately thats all it takes.

KenGS wrote:No rattles at all. The only "problem" is an occasional heel strike on the handle. But nothing that worries me.

Thank you for the prompt response. Thats a bit of added peace of mind. :D
rifraf

Postby KenGS » Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

RonK wrote:I don't get the point of these - nearly a kilo of lock and you still need a cable lock as well to secure your bike.

Not quite. You need a cable but not a cable lock and even then only if you are leaving the bike unattended for some time.
For a quick duck into the shop or loo the lock itself should be enough to deter theft. For a longer stay I take a cable and secure the eye to the lock shaft. If I'm going to the CBD and/or leaving the bike a couple of hours or more I take the D Lock instead of the cable.
The main advantage of the frame lock is that it is so easy to lock up: Insert key, push lever, remove key.
Cable locks and D-locks are more of a faff
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 24, 2013 2:20 am

I have one on the Surly Long Haul Trucker; a Abus Amparo 4850 CL. Great for ducking into shops and the like. No rattles for me and no heel strike either. I also use it with a cable for longer lock-ups.

More photos at Google+

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri May 24, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Re: Abus Amparo 4850

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri May 24, 2013 8:24 am

I use one on the bike that I set up for shopping and general duties about town. A heavy lock but the bulk alone should deter some thieves, quick to use or unlock, really convenient. You can also get an cable from Abus that engages in the lock to secure the other wheel or to a post - I haven't tried this yet. http://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:194244 The CL version uses heavy plastic straps around your forks, best to trim these once the lock is set up so that there's less plasticky bits showing.
There are other frame locks around but most look like they've been made by beating out a biscuit tin with a hammer and probably easily defeated with the same hammer, plus they may be the type that you leave the key in the lock when unlocked. The Abus looks solid (and good) and that counts for something in keeping your bike safe.

PS You can also buy the lock as a pair.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:19 pm

I've now fitted one to my Masi Speciale CX
Thought I may have had an issue with my RD cable but it isn't being interfered with at all.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby rifraf » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Its looking good.
How many attachment points does it have?
Couple more pics would be great from different angles.
Any chance of one from the other side of the bike showing the view of inside the rear triangle from an "above" view?
That frame cable stop not causing any issue?
Cheers
rifraf

Postby KenGS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Only two attaching points - one on each seat stay where you can see the wide plastic strap
There's really not much to it
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:14 pm

KenGS wrote:Only two attaching points - one on each seat stay where you can see the wide plastic strap
There's really not much to it

Isn't there one that will bolt to the frame? How does that work?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby KenGS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Needs specific braze-ons on the seat stays or you can get brackets that bolt onto canti-brake braze-ons.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks Ken.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one from Bike24.
Not sure what the fit will be like as the drive side seat stay has cable routing down it.
I'll give it whirl and see what it looks like in the weeks it takes to arrive and will post about the outcome.
If positive I'll add a pic or two.
rifraf

Postby KenGS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Just fitted one to the daughter's bike last weekend. It was a tricky fit made harder by the cold weather (10 degrees) which made the plastic straps pretty stiff. A blast from a hairdryer softened it up enough to make a fit.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:14 pm

*Always present for use
*No faffing about to hunt out a lock
*Doubles as wheel parking brake
*Ideal for those many short stops where you may not bother locking the bike with your cable or D-lock.

We used ours all the time while touring Italy and happily parked the bikes outside in towns and smaller cities, sometimes for a couple of hours. We still have the bikes :wink:

Use pitlocks on your wheels and the ring-lock makes the bike very secure. No replacement for a heavy duty Kryptonite, but it is ideal for touring where you stop in lower risk areas. Sling the lock on my fully-loaded tourer and then you try to move it :o :wink: She ain't going nowhere. Most people will regard it as solidly anchored.

The additional plug-in cable is really not too heavy to carry as it does not have a great heavy lock on it.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Mine arrived today and I've just gotten it off the packaging.
The 2.35 tyres appear to be a bit of a pinch, but I think its the "attachment collars" that seem to be the slight impediment.
I'll finish my cuppa and throw the camera on charge so I can leave a pic.
Also in the box are some 2.00" wide Schwalbe Supremes.
These I want to trail so I anticipate them making wheel installation somewhat less of a chore - we shall see.
I'm hopeful the lock wont make my rear mudguard installation more difficult.
Anyone spotted the best price on the Amparo cable to complement the wheel lock?
rifraf

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:35 pm

I have fitted my 2.3" Schwalbe Mondials on while using the Abus; it went with me to the sands of the Mereenie Loop and Simpson Desert. The tyres did need to be deflated to fit/remove the wheel, but otherwise no problems. My normal 1.75" Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres fit in without deflating.

From the Thorn Forum thread on the Abus Amparo

's OK with 50mm tyres

Seen here at Andado Station. The 2.3" tyres and mudguards fitted fine with no concerns about clearance. But we did not strike any mud....

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby KenGS » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 pm

rifraf wrote:Anyone spotted the best price on the Amparo cable to complement the wheel lock?

I just use an Abus Cobra cable which is the normal kind with a loop at each end. Partly because I could not get hold of the Amparo one at the time. It's easy enough to run the bolt through the loop
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 pm

rifraf wrote:t.
Anyone spotted the best price on the Amparo cable to complement the wheel lock?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/abus/amparo-cable-ec035758

Attaches very easily.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 pm

rifraf wrote:

With the Moulton it was really the Sondelux I was insecure about and made a point of the front wheel being locked to the frame on the rare occasion I deemed fit to pop into a shop and have it momentarily out of sight.
The Ogre has Son28 up front and the "Hoff" which whilst not favored by "all" is still a significant portion of my net worth. :wink:

Pitlocks for your wheels will add to the security gained by the Abus Amparo. Nobody will go removing your wheels.

But don't buy them from Australian stores :shock: :shock: :shock: Buy the standard front and rear wheel skewer from Pitlock direct and it is 43.90 Euro less VAT, plus shipping. Much better than $163 :roll:
il padrone

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:13 pm

KenGS wrote:
rifraf wrote:Anyone spotted the best price on the Amparo cable to complement the wheel lock?

I just use an Abus Cobra cable which is the normal kind with a loop at each end. Partly because I could not get hold of the Amparo one at the time. It's easy enough to run the bolt through the loop

Yes I currently have one which will do the trick.
Its a no name brand (that I can find on the unit) and strong enough to put off the opportunist. :D
Being able to attach it to the Amparo might mean I can now leave home the heavy stainless padlock I've been carting around with the cable which in turn will make some room in my handlebar bag and render it safer with less potential scratch surfaces for taking my camera.
rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 pm

il padrone wrote:for your wheels will add to the security gained by the Abus Amparo. Nobody will go removing your wheels.

Buy the standard front and rear wheel skewer from Pitlock direct and it is 43.90 Euro less VAT, plus shipping. Much better than $163 :roll:

Hi IP,
thank you for the pictures and links.
I'm almost sold on the pitlocks despite being paranoid I'll lose the "Pit" and be unable to remove the wheels when I need to.
I'm forever losing/misplacing things like keys etc so its a hard sell.
The other side of the coin is of course as you've pointed out, a helping hand in the retention of my hard to replace already paid for wheels I had to save for.
I think I'll bump these up on my wish list to a higher priority setting. :)
I appreciate the heads up with regards the price saving and I'll take advantage of it shortly.
Thank you. :!:
rifraf

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts