New wheelset or a Cell Victor/Polygon/? Discuss please :).

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

New wheelset or a Cell Victor/Polygon/? Discuss please :).

Postby simonn » Tue May 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Had a rim (Mavic Ksyrium Equipe) split/crack on my Van Nicholas 495km into a 600km brevet on Sunday :( boooo! So DNFed.

Anyway, I have a 32 spoke wheelset (DT Swiss RR585 rims to Miche Racing Box hubs) that I built and have not ridden which I plan on using for audax. However, I cannot decide on whether to buy a set of good go-fast wheels (must be Campy) and swap as and when necessary or buy a cheap carbon/ultegra level (or 105 and gooooood wheels) bike as well for the go-fast stuff e.g.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Cell-2013-V ... gory=12632
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2012-p ... bon-frame/
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2013-p ... o-ultegra/

Or any other bicycle considerations?

What do people think? I don't want to go carbon rims if swapping wheels, because changing brake pads too is far too much hassle.

And, bicycles online, despite their name, have their retail shop a mere 5 mins easy cycle (if that) from where I live. Which I guess is a consideration?

Cracked rim:

simonn

by BNA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 pm

BNA

Re: New wheelset or a Cell Victor/Polygon/? Discuss please :

Postby higgalls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey,

Just wondering what you ended up doing? I am looking at both the Polygon Helios C6.0 and the Cell Victor, and am struggling what to go with. I was thinking the Polygon before I saw the Cell one, but I don't know much about Cell.
higgalls

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:07 pm

higgalls wrote:Hey,

Just wondering what you ended up doing? I am looking at both the Polygon Helios C6.0 and the Cell Victor, and am struggling what to go with. I was thinking the Polygon before I saw the Cell one, but I don't know much about Cell.

This is what I ended up doing:

Hongfu FM066SL frame, Campagnolo Veloce groupo, Prolite Bracciano wheels, Van Nicholas Saddle (which I had anyway) and Shimano R540 pedals. ~$2000. ~7.4kg. Yeah! Was going to build it myself, but decided that a day riding or with my family was worth more than the $200 Ride In Workshop charged me for doing it.

Soon to put the Fulcrum Racing Torq R carbon crankset from my Van Nicholas onto it when I finally get around to putting the Sugino OX601XD 46/30 super compact on my Van Nic (it is my audax bike now after all) - just waiting for a new derailleur from CRC - they take ages!
simonn

Postby rodneycc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey Simon, So is this what I can expect from my Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's is it ?? God, hope not. Love what you have put together, and so cheap. Would love to know your thoughts on the Prolite Bracciano's vs the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's after a few Km's (as I was thinking that might of been my next upgrade but if there isn't much diff I will hold fire).
Cheers, Rod
--
2012 Giant Defy Composite 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1 (Full carbon Roadie)
2013/14 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 pm

rodneycc wrote:Hey Simon, So is this what I can expect from my Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's is it ?? God, hope not. Love what you have put together, and so cheap. Would love to know your thoughts on the Prolite Bracciano's vs the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's after a few Km's (as I was thinking that might of been my next upgrade but if there isn't much diff I will hold fire).
Cheers, Rod

In defence of the mavics, they had been ridden on some rough country roads with pick-a-plank bridges. In fact I think it was one between Broke and Wollombi that killed it.

Much of a muchness really. I don't think I will be able to do a fair long term comparison as my carbon roadie is for group rides/training and racing, not do audaxi on country roads. So far, I think the prolites are better value as they are a little cheaper.
simonn

Return to Buying a bike / parts