Bike Advice Needed

cadnams

Bike Advice Needed

Postby cadnams » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi guys,

I've had great advice here before, so I thought I'd try again.

I am buying a new bike. This is what I will be doing with it:

- Climbing
- Triathlon
- Long casual weekend rides

I am looking for an all-round bike capableof these things, with a preference for performance over comfort (if I had to choose).

My budget will max out at about $3,000 so I'm looking at everything with a list price of up to say $3,500. The frame is the most important thing to me, and a groupset no less than Shimano Ultegra (as a benchmark).

I am brand new to the whole bike-shopping thing so I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. When I've narrowed the field a little I will get out and test ride as many bikes as I can.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
C

RRalphy

Re: Bike Advice Needed

Postby RRalphy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:14 pm

maybe look into the cervelo s2, the frame is very aero for a drop bar road bike so would likely be handy for the triathlons. the one I used to have was also very light which is good for the climbing (though this might have been partly due to the components), not too comfy on the 100km rides but as you said you are willing to sacrifice on that.
regarding price for around $2600 you can get shimano 105 on the 2013 frame so I imagine you can get ultegra for around $3500-3800 (less if you are good at bargaining or can find a 2011 or 2012 frame floating about - there are some on bikeexchange though one thing to note with getting an older frame is that shops are likely to have limited sizes in stock DONT go for a frame that is the wrong size but the right price)

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Another candidate to look at would be the Giant TCR Advanced 1. At RRP $3000 you get Ultegra, or for an extra $1000 the Di2 version. It is a road race bike, so not as smooth in the aero department as some, but given you're looking for an all-rounder you don't want to lean too far to the aero/TT/triathlon end of the scale 'cos they tend to suck a bit when the road points up. Just bolt a set of aero bars on & you'll be pretty well set.

Stocks of the 2013 models are getting pretty thin on the ground, but if you can find one the right size you should be able to get a pretty sweet deal. The 2014 Giant range is being launched in just a few weeks. The frame will be the same as the current model, the biggest change will be the new 11-speed Ultegra group.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 am

also look at the boardman 9.4 slr/air depending on what you want to do with it from wiggle a pretty comprehensive package
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

cadnams

Postby cadnams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks Guys.

I think I am looking at either a Scott Foil 20 or a Felt F4. I'd love to go a model higher in both but the budget won't stretch (unless I get lucky). I am capped out at $3K max.

What do you think...?

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Going off the criteria - for ticking off climbing and long-ride comfort, esp with regards to an 3+ hour effort, something like a Wilier Gran Turismo? It's certainly racable and stiff in power transfer where it matters, as well as Light in frame weight, but with a bit more give for comfort. Its not a pure 'sportive' bike but more in the middle ground of racer/comfort. Its reviews have been top notch.

Of course, you could always be more flexible than your criteria suggests and can cope with race geo on longer rides :) in which case i'd say stick with what your heart says.

jenysmith

Postby jenysmith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm

That's a lot of bike for 100. Check the frame for cracks. If you bought it from some guy off the street, run the serial. Good karma is better than a good bike. It's a 4x bike. It might have a inner tube, but could also be tubeless. It's too small for you, but if you feel comfortable on it then go ride it. As far as price, google bicycle blue book and make up your own mind.

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm

jenysmith wrote:That's a lot of bike for 100. Check the frame for cracks. If you bought it from some guy off the street, run the serial. Good karma is better than a good bike. It's a 4x bike. It might have a inner tube, but could also be tubeless. It's too small for you, but if you feel comfortable on it then go ride it. As far as price, google bicycle blue book and make up your own mind.
Huh?