Reflective Tyres

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Reflective Tyres

Postby Rob74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm

BNA Collective,

Looking to get some new tyres:
four (4) of Vittoria Randonneur 700 x 28c Reflective Double Shielding wire bead is fine noted that they are 500g
four (4) of Continental GP4000s 700 x 25c Reflective Folding Tyre - 205g

(would prefer to buy in Australia.....but the online warehouse sites "with free shipping" seem to be winning the price war hands down)

Have you bought any? where from? service? &price?

Thanks,
Rob
User avatar
Rob74
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW

by BNA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am

BNA
 

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am

GKA are the Oz distro for Vittoria and you can get them direct from them for $42.50. http://www.gkasportsstore.com.au/vitt-r ... -3208.html

I've a pair of the Cross versions in folding casing...great tyre but doesn't like high pressures and the floppy folding casing is 'struggle' to deal with getting it to mount onto my wheelset
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
User avatar
silentbutdeadly
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 pm

The 25mm GP4000S' are a bit chepaer at $39.95 (+postage)
http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:58 pm

http://www.ridewithfiks.com/ sell reflective rim strips if you are having trouble getting reflective tyres.

Reflective tyres on the left and rim strips on the right.

Image
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Rob74 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Thx for the Feedback.

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am "Vittoria .........I've a pair of the Cross versions in folding casing."
=>> What size & what do they weigh?

Vittoria Randonneur 700 x 28c Reflective
$31.94 ...Cell bikes wire bead and that is okay for the 15km each way Daily Commuter have had them before. Web page states 700 x 28C but unclear if it is the reflective side wall version. Picture shows the reflective Sidewall version. The add description says it is optional. have sent an email

$24.47...Evans120 TPI casing and Double Shielding puncture protection. Light and reliable, with wet-weather tread pattern. 700c and MTB sizes, with optional reflective sidewalls...their Q&A Page says they only sell Reflective ones

$30 Shipping is brutal though

Continental GP4000s 700 x 25c Reflective??

The hunt continues...... how about an Australian Supplier......for my Nominated Sizes?

Rob
User avatar
Rob74
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 am

Rob74 wrote:
Continental GP4000s 700 x 25c Reflective??

The hunt continues...... how about an Australian Supplier......for my Nominated Sizes?

Rob


Ross wrote:The 25mm GP4000S' are a bit chepaer at $39.95 (+postage)
http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html


Yes the sidewall on the 25s are reflective, pity the 23s aren't or at least an optional reflective version.
Bike Bug are Australian. Free postage/freight when you spend over $100 or $9 postage/freight if order under $100
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 am

Rob74 wrote:Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am "Vittoria .........I've a pair of the Cross versions in folding casing."
=>> What size & what do they weigh?

700x35 and somewhere around 460 grams. However the Randonneur Cross Pro tyres have now been dropped by Vittoria so whatever you find will be technically on run out.

The Vittoria website says that the Randonneur wire bead tyre in 700x28 has a reflective sidewall and weighs 510 grams. However the 700x25 tyre does not have the reflective sidewall and is the only one without it.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
User avatar
silentbutdeadly
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Are you fixed on that choice of tyres?

eg Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, 700c x 28, folding: 310g. You'll pay for them though, and no idea about Aus retailer but I can't see why that's a big issue.
User avatar
MattyK
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:24 pm

MattyK wrote:Are you fixed on that choice of tyres?

eg Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, 700c x 28, folding: 310g. You'll pay for them though, and no idea about Aus retailer but I can't see why that's a big issue.


Mostly half price of Aussie shops if you use crc. I just paid $16.50 for a Schwalbe Smart Sam that sells for $65 here.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Re Postby Ross » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 am
http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html
"Yes the sidewall on the 25s are reflective"

....…no the 700 x 25 are not reflective side walls per reply from bikebug below

"Thank you for your interest in Continental Grand Prix 4000s Folding Tyre 
In answer to your queries:

The 700 x 25 do not have reflective sidewalls.
The weight of the 700 x 25 is 230g

Regards,
Martin
Martin Cunningham
Customer Service
bikebug.com


Re: Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm
consider
"Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, 700c x 28"

=>> had not considered them, What do they ride like?

FYI have the:
Vittoria Randonneur 700 x 28c Reflective =>> on the 15km each way daily commuter....heavy BUT great puncture resistance and wear performance + they are the biggest I can fit in the frame. Could not fit Michellin Reflectives 700 x 28's in the frame.
Continental GP4000s 700 x 25c Reflective Folding are on the race bike, good wear and puncture resistance for the type of tyre it is, low rotational inertia when teamed with 60g tubes, so acceleration up hills is brilliant + they are the biggest I can fit in the frame.

Rob
User avatar
Rob74
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Ride is pretty good but don't quite me as an expert. It is smoother and faster than the plain Marathons they replaced though. The 28s measure 26mm wide on my Alex da16 rims
User avatar
MattyK
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Ross » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Rob74 wrote:Re Postby Ross » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 am
http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html
"Yes the sidewall on the 25s are reflective"

....…no the 700 x 25 are not reflective side walls per reply from bikebug below

"Thank you for your interest in Continental Grand Prix 4000s Folding Tyre 
In answer to your queries:

The 700 x 25 do not have reflective sidewalls.
The weight of the 700 x 25 is 230g

Regards,
Martin
Martin Cunningham
Customer Service
bikebug.com


Rob


I think they are mistaken, unless there is a new version of them out now.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Ross wrote:
Rob74 wrote:Re Postby Ross » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 am
http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html
"Yes the sidewall on the 25s are reflective"

....…no the 700 x 25 are not reflective side walls per reply from bikebug below

"Thank you for your interest in Continental Grand Prix 4000s Folding Tyre 
In answer to your queries:

The 700 x 25 do not have reflective sidewalls.
The weight of the 700 x 25 is 230g

Regards,
Martin
Martin Cunningham
Customer Service
bikebug.com


Rob


I think they are mistaken, unless there is a new version of them out now.



According to Conti website its the 700x25 GP4000 which has reflective sidewalls, not the GP4000s
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5694
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Reflective Tyres

Postby Rob74 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Re Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 pm
"According to Conti website its the 700x25 GP4000 which has reflective sidewalls, not the GP4000s"

=>> Your right im_no_pro!……..checked the boxes from last time purchased from web site below
Top of Box says Art-Nr: 0118522 Made in Germany

Grand Prix 4000
• Tire Bead Folding
• ISO Diameter 622 / road / 29"
• Black Chili Compound.
• Features a reflective 3M sidewall - Ideal for commuting due to striking high visibility.
• Max Pressure: 125psi
• ISO Width 25 mm
• Color Tread/Side Black/Black reflective
• Tire Type Clincher
• Tire Diameter 700c
• Tire Use Road
• Weight 240 g
• PSI 110-120 PSI


Checked Conti Web site as well as you suggest:
Article - 0118522
ETRTO 25-622
dimension - 700 x 25C
color - black/black Skin Refl.
weight - 240
rec. psi - 95
max. psi - 120

3 plies / total 330 tpi / Vectran Breaker / Black Chili only in black version / foldable

So it appears that the Black Reflective Side Wall Tyre has Black Chilli Compound where maybe the other multi colour tyres do not have it?

=>> Where can I get 700 x 25 GP4000 Reflective sidewall tyres with good service at a good price

Best price I can see

Rob
User avatar
Rob74
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW


Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit