Another Bib Knicks Thread

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: Another Bib Knicks Thread

Postby lobstermash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Can't believe no-one has suggested Aldi knicks yet.... oh wait, I haven't seen bib knicks from them yet. :P

I quite like my Aldi knicks, and am about to try out my first lot of ($30) bibs from Cell. However in the presence of those who pay more for cycling clothes than I have for my bikes, I'll say no more...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

by BNA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 pm

BNA

Postby Ignoto » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
Mmmm, the three alternatives you list are all twice or 3 times the price of DHB Aeron. The question is; would you prefer 2 pairs of DHB or 1 pair of one of these?

I went through two separate pairs of DHB Aeron knicks and within a week or two, the stitching had come undone and the fabric became detached. So I'm not impressed by them whatsoever. Wiggle required me sending both pairs back before sending a replacement or refund even with pictures. So I'm not a fan of the 2 - 3 week turn around of having a faulty pair of knicks returned.

ProCelebrityGolf wrote:edit: It was interesting to read you had good experiences with Babici. The pair of knicks I purchased from them had possibly the worst design padding I have ever seen - specifically around the crotch which was both tight but yet caused me to need to 'readjust' constantly throughout the ride. I put up with them for a month, emailed the company then binned them after I didn't receive a response.

After writing my original post, my Everyday Knicks have been chucked in the "emergency only" pile. The length of them are great, but like you, after a couple months of wear, I need to constantly re-adjust. I did buy a pair of their winter knicks and they were better, just didn't get to wear them long enough with the sudden "summer" Brisbane went to.

By way of update, I've gone through a couple different types of knicks and now highly recommend ASSOS Uno and Castelli Kiss 3 knicks. Both have been great to my behind and don't move around!
Ignoto

Postby Abby » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 pm

lobstermash wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:Can't believe no-one has suggested Aldi knicks yet.... oh wait, I haven't seen bib knicks from them yet. :P

I quite like my Aldi knicks, and am about to try out my first lot of ($30) bibs from Cell. However in the presence of those who pay more for cycling clothes than I have for my bikes, I'll say no more...

I've got Aldi bib knicks, and the most recent iteration of the Cell bibs as well.

The Aldi's are OK. Comfortable enough for 1hr-ish commuting. Lycra is a bit thin. Mesh straps, which is nice during summer. But there are others in my knicks drawer I reach for first for sure... Genuine value bargain though for the $20 paid, good 'spare pair'...

The Cell bib knicks are very good. $30, and outstanding value. Pad is very comfortable, pretty thick. Have used them for 2+ hr rides and they are great. Main point of difference is the leg length is fractionally shorter on these than any other bibs I own. So if you like that, great - if yo uprefer longer leg length, then look elsewhere. I would buy these again in a flash...

Cheers,
Abby
Abby

Postby moreegolfer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 pm

grasshopper wrote:
Ignoto wrote:Do Santini use a different Chamois than what they use in the Orica Greenedge knicks?

That depends. Like the other big brands, Santini has a range of products so it depends whether you bought the (official) OGE replica product (multi-density sculpted chamois) or the (official) pro level gear (Nat Smart gel pad) or a copy (who knows). They use about four different pads in different ranges that I know of. Like a Toyota, it could be a Yaris or a Lexus or a people mover. I think you get what you pay for with knicks. Good luck with the decision. :)

These Santini bib knicks are the bomb:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=5&ID=3175

Good for long rides with a very comfy chamois and if you like a longer cut leg these will suit you too.
moreegolfer

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts