Advise on buying a second hand Repco Traveller

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Advise on buying a second hand Repco Traveller

Postby new2cycling » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey guys, im new to cycling as the name suggests and i was thinking of buying a second hand repco traveller off gumtree for $45. According to the seller, everything works fine.

Should I go for it?

Here is the gumtree link for the bicycle:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/quakers- ... 023237993#

Cheers
new2cycling

by BNA » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

BNA

Re: Advise on buying a second hand Repco Traveller

Postby Rob74 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Its a "gas pipe" DUNGA.

Likely to be all steel components unless extensively modified by the previous owner.

For the money on the tree or flea bay there are better options.

Have a look over in theBNA Repco Thread to see the better Repco options.

=>> If you are set on REPCO, suggest Superlite as the bare minimum if you are planning to do anything more than riding, 1km to the shop and for milk and back.

Rob
Rob74

Re: Advise on buying a second hand Repco Traveller

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:56 pm

What rob74 said, a stock specification Repco Traveller in good working order is a form of transport, but not necessarily an enjoyable one.

The issue is that IMO going off the poor quality photos, that one is not in good working order, I would suspect it needs a new chain, probably new cables and the handlebar tape which the seller mentions. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other things that need doing such as regreasing the hubs, headset and bottom bracket.

Now if you could do that work yourself, the parts required are not expensive ($10-30 for bar tape, the same for a chain and $10-20 for new cables) but given your name is new2cycling, i'm assuming you don't have the experience/tools. Don't be put off trying though, there are lots of instructional videos on youtube and great books like the ones by Lennard Zinn, and once you know what needs to be done and get a bit of practice you'll see it's not rocket science and can be very satisfying.

But on the other hand if you want it ready to ride and don't have the time or inclination to do the work yourself, the cost of getting it done at a bike shop would be substantial and would make it unviable IMO. I would guess at $100+ at least just for the stuff I've mentioned, the sky's the limit if there is more work required.

Better to keep looking and look more around the $100-150 range, I think you're more likely to find a bike at that price that really is "in great condition".
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Return to Buying a bike / parts