Entry Carbon Road Bike opinion on these two..

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Entry Carbon Road Bike opinion on these two..

Postby andione1983 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 pm

Malvern Star Oppy C6 $1599.00
http://www.bikeforce.com.au/bicycles/ma ... /102263199

Description

If you're serious about your road riding, then you'll love the new Oppy carbon bikes. Light and stiff they'll transfer every bit of your power into forward motion. Smooth and compliant they'll let you ride all day long! Packed with cutting edge features like tapered head tubes, full carbon press fit bottom brackets and internal cable routing on all bikes.

BFA Tour de France Sale

FRAME T700/24T Multiple Monocoque carbon w/tapered headtube, full carbon press fit 86mm BB & internal cabling
FORK T700/24T one piece carbon w/tapered steerer
COCKPIT

HEADSET FSA 1 1/8th to 1 1/2 Integrated Ahead
STEM Zero Attack Pro alloy 31.8, +/-7 deg, S=90mm, M/M-L=100mm, L=110mm, XL=120mm
HANDLEBARS Zero Attack Pro alloy 31.8, shallow drop. S=400mm, M=420mm, M-L/L/XL=440mm
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Ultegra with reach adjust
FRONT BRAKE Shimano 105
GRIPS Zero gum wrap extra grip
DRIVETRAIN

SHIFTERS Shimano Ultegra STI 20sp
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra braze on
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra 10sp
CHAIN Shimano 105 10sp
FREEWHEEL Shimano 105 10sp 12-25T
CRANK Shimano Ultegra 39/53T, 10sp S=170mm, M=172.5mm, M-L/L/XL=175mm
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano press fit BB71
PEDALS Test ride with clips & straps
WHEELS

FRONT HUB Mavic Aksium
REAR HUB Mavic Aksium
RIMS Mavic Aksium
SPOKES Mavic Aksium
TYRES Kenda Kadence 700x23c, w/folding bead and Ironcap belt
EXTRAS

SEAT Zero Zelix
SEAT POST Zero Attack Pro carbon 31.6 x 350mm

Merida Scultura Comp U904 $1686.00
http://99bikes.com.au/merida-scultura-c ... -220905441
Specifications:

Bottom Bracket: attached
Brake Levers: attached
Brakes: MERIDA Road Pro
Chain: KMC X10 10s
Colour: black/UD carbon[yellow]
Crankset: Shimano R565 50-34
Derailleur Front: Shimano 105
Derailleur Rear: Shimano 105
Fork: BC CF lite-S taper
Frame: Scultura comp
Freewheel: Shimano CS-4600-10 12-28
Grips: Merida Road Pro 3D
Handlebar: Controltech ONE road OS
Headset: NO.55EP Neck-com
Hubs: attached Pedals: NO
Rims: Mavic Aksium
Saddle: Selle Italia X1
Seatpost: MERIDA carbon twin SB19 27.2
Shifters: Shimano 105
Sizes: [44]-47-50-52-54-56-[59]
Speeds: 20 Spokes: attached
Stem: MERIDA pro E OS -7
Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Slick 23 60 KV
Wheel Size: 700c
Road Bike - 2013 Merida Ride Lite 93
MTB - Boardman Team Pro 2013
andione1983

by BNA » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:12 pm

BNA

Re: Entry Carbon Road Bike opinion on these two..

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:12 pm

I am brand loyal to the Merida's because they have served me well. I am also looking at the 904 and the 905 (which is also a very good purchase).

That said, the specs on that Malvern Star are excellent for that price. It appears to be an all Shimano Groupset, combining Ultegra and 105, whereas the 904 is 105 and a mix of other brands.

I would still buy the Merida, but if I purchase the 904, I will be swapping out the "generic Merida Pro" brakes for Ultegras that I have here AND swap out the FSA cranks for an Ultegra set I have here.

My LBS sells Merida, so for me, I get the best service from them, which is why I am very supportive of the Merida.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Oh, some further input...

The crankset and freewheel on the Malvern Star would suit a lighter/fitter rider who rides on the flats more (53/39 cranks 11-25 freewheel).

The Merida comes with a compact crankset (50/34) and a 12-28 freewheel, which makes hill climbing much easier if you are still gaining your fitness or you are a heavier rider (I am both of these).
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby andione1983 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Oh, some further input...

The crankset and freewheel on the Malvern Star would suit a lighter/fitter rider who rides on the flats more (53/39 cranks 11-25 freewheel).

The Merida comes with a compact crankset (50/34) and a 12-28 freewheel, which makes hill climbing much easier if you are still gaining your fitness or you are a heavier rider (I am both of these).

That's the info I need to hear... I am 100kgs :-) thanks mate... I do like the Malvern Star though.. It's a nice bike

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
andione1983

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:36 pm

If you like the Malvern Star, then pull the cranks and cassette off it immediately and sell them "as new" and then pickup a 50/34 ultegra crankset and a 12-28 ultegra cassette on eBay and just switch them over; or see if your LBS will do a deal to do a similar switch for you...

I started very unfit and at 118kg and even the difference between a 25 and 27 "big" cog on the back made a material difference to the enjoyment of my climbs.
brett.hooker

Postby andione1983 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Thanks heaps for your help
andione1983

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:33 am

Both brands have pretty good followings, havent heard many bad things about either. Parts are easily changed, frames not so much. See if you can test ride both and buy the one that feels better. A bike that you feel comfortable on that costs a little more is much better value than a bike thats sits in the shed because its uncomfortable.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby andione1983 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 am

just discovered Ribble Sportive Bianco, love the fact that you can build your own bike... seems you can fit it out with practically any combination you want..
Reviews look good too..
I could make up a very well spekked Ribble for just over 2k posted.
andione1983

Postby Gsascha » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:05 pm

If you go into a bikeforce, and end up buying the oppy, I'm sure they would swap the crankset and cassette for you for next to nothing. I have been very happy with the service at bikeforce docklands. Both are good value at that price point, although if you are willing to spend a little more, you could look at cannondale caad10 or supersix, focus cayo, or a trek madone or domane. You might get 105 instead of ultegra but arguably the frames will be a little more "proven", if that matters. Obviously, fit is the most important thing
Gsascha

Postby antipodean » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:58 pm

You recently bought a 2013 Merida Ride Lite 93 but already what to upgrade, how often do you ride, how many kilometers do you have on this bike?
Stop dreaming and ride what you have, a new bike won't make hills easier or you faster.
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby andione1983 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:02 pm

antipodean wrote:You recently bought a 2013 Merida Ride Lite 93 but already what to upgrade, how often do you ride, how many kilometers do you have on this bike?
Stop dreaming and ride what you have, a new bike won't make hills easier or you faster.
true... Nothing stopping me from dreaming though. Lol

andione1983

Postby antipodean » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:14 pm

At 100kg's I think the only thing that needs upgrading is your waistline - unless you're 6'4" and a ball of muscle.
Be careful posting on this forum because there are plenty here that will convince you to spend money on "upgrades".
Seriously though your Merida looks like a decent bike on paper, ride it for 12 months at least and then think about something new.
How many k's have you actually done on your bike?
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby andione1983 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Up to about 600ks in 2 months... Thats the plan I want to get down to 90kg or under

andione1983

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:22 pm

andione1983 wrote:just discovered Ribble Sportive Bianco, love the fact that you can build your own bike... seems you can fit it out with practically any combination you want..
Reviews look good too..

+ duty and GST
Ross

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Ross wrote:
andione1983 wrote:just discovered Ribble Sportive Bianco, love the fact that you can build your own bike... seems you can fit it out with practically any combination you want..
Reviews look good too..

+ duty and GST

Beat me to it, although iirc complete bikes have a duty exemption so just gst.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby vinski » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Instead of starting a new thread, i thought id just add to this one. Went into my local BikeForce for a looksy and was advised that the Oppy C6 was probably the best deal in the shop at the moment. Right next to the Oppy was an Apollo Vispo for the same price (link below - bike instore was matte black with red stickers). Has anyone had any experience with the later model Apollo's and which would be the bike of choice of the 2 as pricing is the same? I really like the look of the Apollo but for the same price im assuming the Oppy is the better deal.

Bike will be used for commuting (12kms each way) and the odd weekend ride. Just thought id treat myself and upgrade from my entry level FBR.

Cheers

http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes13/carbon/vispo
vinski

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:05 pm

antipodean wrote:At 100kg's I think the only thing that needs upgrading is your waistline - unless you're 6'4" and a ball of muscle.
Be careful posting on this forum because there are plenty here that will convince you to spend money on "upgrades".
Seriously though your Merida looks like a decent bike on paper, ride it for 12 months at least and then think about something new.

This is comming from someone who according to your signature has purchased 5 bikes in the last 6 years?

For some people, having something new helps give them the motivation they require to get out there and ride.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby rjk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am

jacks1071 wrote:
antipodean wrote:At 100kg's I think the only thing that needs upgrading is your waistline - unless you're 6'4" and a ball of muscle.

This is comming from someone who according to your signature has purchased 5 bikes in the last 6 years?

For some people, having something new helps give them the motivation they require to get out there and ride.

I am 100kg, and only 5'10" but it is all muscle, i am one of those clydesdale's of the Hippo variety, be careful of making generalities about weight, i regularly do century rides and long distance and hills ( bloody slow on hills dragging this carcass up them) i have mates who are 40kg lighter and i keep up with them on the flats and leave for dead downhills :)

I have dropped size but as they say muscle weigh more than fat, so i will never get below 100kg

:)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk

Postby antipodean » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 am

jacks1071 wrote:This is comming from someone who according to your signature has purchased 5 bikes in the last 6 years?

Did you realize the OP bought the bike he was looking to upgrade in May 2013? So suggesting he rides it for at least 12 months is not totally unreasonable.
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby SpinninWheels » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 am

antipodean wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:This is comming from someone who according to your signature has purchased 5 bikes in the last 6 years?

Did you realize the OP bought the bike he was looking to upgrade in May 2013? So suggesting he rides it for at least 12 months is not totally unreasonable.

Good luck to him. I'd never get that past treasury!
SpinninWheels

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:01 pm

antipodean wrote:

I agree with you that if you buy a bike you should be expecting to get at least a year out of it (I keep mine for a lot longer than 1yr these days, I still have my first ever road bike - restored to brand new condition and hanging on my wall).

If the OP is unhappy with his purchase and that is preventing him from using it - and he has the funds then why not replace it?

If that's what he needs to get out there and ride, then go for it.

After all the correct number of bikes one should own is N+1
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:35 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
After all the correct number of bikes one should own is N+1

Or D-1
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:07 pm

I just learnt something new... Had to lookup "D-1" and love it... :-)
brett.hooker

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:18 pm

brett.hooker wrote:I just learnt something new... Had to lookup "D-1" and love it... :-)

Unfortunately, D-1 is a fluid equation and the value of d is dependant on many variables. For instance over winter the value of d decreases in my house relative to SWMBO's increased interest in parking her car in the garage due to inclement weather. d also increases/decreases based on the amount of time I spend riding said bikes, after all who hasnt had this conversation:

"I'm selling that bike if you dont start riding it"
"Which one"
Choose your own adventure a) "The (insert colour here) one" or b) "All of them smarty pants"

Closely followed a few days later by
"Im going for a ride"
"No you're not, you have chores to do"
"But you said if I don't ride it you'll sell it"
"Dont start with me"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

God I hope GLW doesnt read this.

Disclaimer: scenarios given in this post may or may not be exaggerated in some way shape or form. In case you read this, I love you honey and no I dont really mean it
P.S. I bought another bike today. Did I tell you I love you?
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 am

I'd be looking at something a bit nicer, even if it means cheaper components and wheels for now. The bike you're on wouldn't be a whole lot different to the entry level stuff you're considering.

Grab a CAAD10 or a Cervelo or a Colnago or something a bit special, anything really and build it up over time with choice bits.

I was looking at stuff in the $2k range a little while back. Scott Foil, Avanti Corsa, Giant TCR etc etc. the usual suspects.I started a thread on it, like many do and agonised over the pros and cons, but ultimately I couldn't get excited about the stuff I was looking at. Me personally, I went with a second hand bike that was much dearer when new and I'll get some flash wheels for it as funds arrive. The important thing is I have a bike I LOVE riding and that helps drag my fat arse out there when it's cold and dark.

Good luck with the shopping.
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts