new in bris.. brand/model help needed

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

new in bris.. brand/model help needed

Postby angryassdrummer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:07 pm

hi all
im in the redlands area of brissie. looking to get into cycling for fitness and fun. about an hour or so a day riding around the area i live which is pretty flat. Note im note wanting to get into comps or racing.. just as a new hobby and for fitness.
im 36 yo, 6ft3 and 110 kilos, so the fitness side of cycling im excited for, hopefully help with my problematic back/knees too.
My question is where do i start? i know i want a road bike not a hybrid. I have been recommended online the Giant Defy 3 and by a local bike shop today the Merida Road LIte 91.
There was lots of info online about the Giant but little to none on the Merida.
Are these the type of bikes i should be starting with? i have about $1000 to spend on bike + accessories however cause im a full time student, every penny counts...so something even cheaper would be great ( in saying that, i do want quality, so if spending extra to get a LOT better, im ok with. just not for the sake of it or for a brand name)
Size wise, would the L size in the Defy and 56 in the Merida be about right? i know i should test them out, but just want to get approx sizing as i might be able to buy online cheaper or 2nd hand. again every penny counts
any other advice for someone new, just getting into cycling for fun and fitness?
any other advice, whether its on bikes, accessories like shoes/clothing etc etc would be very very greatly appreciated

Thanks
angryassdrummer

by BNA » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:25 pm

BNA

Re: new in bris.. brand/model help needed

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:25 pm

definitely test them out. 56 is on the small side for 6'3" (I run a 56 frame at 6ft tall where some suggest a 58)

each brand is different in their sizing though so you'll definitely have to make sure they fit

it's a good time to buy with tour de france specials about. have a look on bikeexchange and see what you can find
jasonc

Postby angryassdrummer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:14 pm

thanks for replying
ive procrastinated long enough about getting fit again, and buying a bike so i thought i would with my tax return.
being an salesman/passionate drummer of many many years i know there is a huge difference in quality between models/brands..so i guess im just trying to suss out the best option for me. i cant afford a top end bike nor should i even consider it, but i dont want junk either. just something reliable fun easy to use.. to encourage me to ride at least an hour a day, if not more.
there is certainly a big difference between brands when it comes to online info..some there is plenty others i can barely find anything. i got recommended this forum off whirpool forums.. just hoping i could get some friendly advice with brands./models/value and info on accessories
angryassdrummer

Postby reefer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:32 pm

If you want to get into it for fitness, then almost any well known brand will suffice within your budget. Buy the bike with the best components as they are what will wear, not the frame in general terms. Robust entry level wheels like Shimano rs501 will do as well. No need to spend big bucks here either, as its just for fitness.

I have the Avanti Cadent 1.0 from 2009. It comes with RS 501 wheels and Shimano 105 level gears and brakes. I am able to ride up to 100km and average up to 30km/hr on a good day and still come home puffed. So I know the bike isn’t holding me back. This illustrates that you do not need to spend big bikkies on the bike to achieve your goal.

Finally, getting the correct fit will be the most important thing to consider as your bigger with a dodgy back, like me.

Correct bike fit trumps all else!! So find a store to help you out.

Have fun
reefer

Postby GH » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Reid Falco Elite is $764 at the moment from Reid at Coorooparoo. Friend who is 6'3" and 120kg has flogged his for 12 months on the road with me, so I would say with 105 componentry this is pretty good entry level value.

gh
GH

Postby angryassdrummer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 pm

thank you!
ill look up some info on that now
btw where is Reid at Coorparoo? just i lived there till recently for 8 years and dont recall seeing it
angryassdrummer

Postby angryassdrummer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 pm

how does this bike look for someone starting out?

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/r ... ePDc41mgm8
angryassdrummer

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm

The Falco Sport is better value for not much more $$$. Better frame too.

I've got the Falco Elite and am a very happy camper.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby reefer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:58 am

angryassdrummer wrote:how does this bike look for someone starting out?

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/r ... ePDc41mgm8

If your set on cycling, then I would suggest its below where you want to start.

Spend a few extra dollars and if your staying with Reid, then I would go for the Falco elite.
http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/r ... -bike.html

Be sure that the frame (geometry) suits you with a dodgy back. You may need to look into this before looking at prices.
reefer

Postby angryassdrummer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 am

i was looking at their site a lot last night , yeah i think its definitely worth the extra for the Falco Elite.
read a lot of negative things about the online too- but if they have friendly staff that are helpful then i think the Falco Elite is a good model in my price range to start with. in 12 months time if im passionate about cycling then ill look into some better name models in the next price range up
angryassdrummer

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:15 pm

If you go with the standard wheels, check that they're true before you roll it out of the shop. Also, the stock wheels (Shimano 2200 hubs and Alex DA16) are both smooth and tough but quite heavy.
lobstermash

Postby GH » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 am

Oops, maybe not Coorparoo, but East Brisbane. But you probably found the address by now from the site anyway.

The standard seat is pretty nasty, $20 seat. But all in all the Falco Elite seems to hold up well to daily grind.

angryassdrummer wrote:thank you!
btw where is Reid at Coorparoo? just i lived there till recently for 8 years and dont recall seeing it
GH

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 am

I have the Merida Ride Lite 91 and swear by it. It has been the perfect entry level road bike for me to build up my fitness on.

I purchased mine in October last year and I have put 6000 km on it!!! I was 105kg when I purchased it, and I am down to 89kg now.

It is strong, light enough, and great geometry for someone coming (back) into road riding.

I am 5'8", so I got the 53cm s/m.

Highly recommended.

Feel free to ask any questions you would like to.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby angryassdrummer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:29 pm

GH wrote:Oops, maybe not Coorparoo, but East Brisbane. But you probably found the address by now from the site anyway.

The standard seat is pretty nasty, $20 seat. But all in all the Falco Elite seems to hold up well to daily grind.

i think it is at coorparoo
i think i recall a bike shop near the afl ground where the Lions train that must be it.
will go in thursday to see what the staff are like

Found a Giant 2013 Defy 3 barely used on Gumtree
he wanted $700, i said they are $799 new at Tom Wallace cycles, so he went down to $500

so its either the
Reid Falco Elite for $764
2nd Giant defy 3 2013 for $500
or the
Merida ride lite 91 for $895
angryassdrummer

Postby angryassdrummer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:36 pm

brett.hooker wrote:I have the Merida Ride Lite 91 and swear by it. It has been the perfect entry level road bike for me to build up my fitness on.

I purchased mine in October last year and I have put 6000 km on it!!! I was 105kg when I purchased it, and I am down to 89kg now.

It is strong, light enough, and great geometry for someone coming (back) into road riding.

I am 5'8", so I got the 53cm s/m.

Highly recommended.

Feel free to ask any questions you would like to.

hey there Brett

can i ask, if its not too personal, was it mainly the cycling that caused the weight loss or did you start that the same time as a change of diet?

after eating bad for so long, i know this is the right time to have a lifestyle change. i thought perfect time to start a new hobby too, so cycling seems perfect
angryassdrummer

Postby angryassdrummer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 pm

what would you say the pros/cons are of your Merida Ride Lite 91?
angryassdrummer

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:16 pm

The cycling just made me fitter...
Better diet made me lighter...

It took six months of getting fitter for me to feel strong enough to actually want to lose the weight. Prior to that, I kept having excuses for why I ate crap food. Now I eat well, most of the time, because I am enjoying my cycling. The lighter I get, the more fun the cycling is.

So, cycling is both the motivation and the fitness device...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm

angryassdrummer wrote:what would you say the pros/cons are of your Merida Ride Lite 91?

Pros
- light for the price at 9.5 kg
- strong aluminium frame
- great price for an entry level road bike
- proper road bike geometry; some find it hard to believe it is so cheap for what looks like a top end road bike
- "ride" geometry is kind on someone getting back into shape
- Sora groupset is good (not great, but good)
- you will be happy you bought a cheap road bike to get started; at 6,500 km so far my $ per km is very very good..

Cons
- sora group set is entry level road group set and once you try something like Ultegra you will want to upgrade one day
- I replaced the sora brakes with Ultegra brakes to get a much better braking experience (sora is fine for most, but I was coming down mt coottha and mt Nebo on a regular basis and I wanted something better)
- the wheels are heavy... After 5000km I purchased a second set, a set of Fulcrum Race 3's and the difference it has made to the bike is staggering! This didn't matter when I purchased it, but as I am fitter now, I can make better use of the lighter wheels...
- stock tyres are good, but not puncture resistant. I would swap the tyres for re-fuse tyres ASAP.

Overall, I have loved this bike!!! Would recommend it to anyone looking for an entry level road bike!!!

Hope that helps...
brett.hooker

Postby GH » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Giant Defy will be a nice frame with the lower grade but completely serviceable Sora groupset. The name is a bit better too. The 105 groupset of the Reid is its biggest plus at that price point.
I think any of the three bikes will be more than adequate and provide a great starter level bike. Me personally, I just prefer the higher grade groupsets, might be bling, ego or placebo lol.
Whatever you decide, good luck and just enjoy the bike and getting out cycling. What its all about.

angryassdrummer wrote:
GH wrote:Oops, maybe not Coorparoo, but East Brisbane. But you probably found the address by now from the site anyway.

i think it is at coorparoo
i think i recall a bike shop near the afl ground where the Lions train that must be it.
will go in thursday to see what the staff are like

Found a Giant 2013 Defy 3 barely used on Gumtree
he wanted $700, i said they are $799 new at Tom Wallace cycles, so he went down to $500

so its either the
Reid Falco Elite for $764
2nd Giant defy 3 2013 for $500
or the
Merida ride lite 91 for $895
GH

Postby angryassdrummer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm

thanks for all the info guys
its reassuring to know none of the 3 are to be avoided and all are decent value for money.
will see how much tax comes back in the next few weeks
either way ill be riding around the bay a lot once it does haha
cheers!
angryassdrummer

Postby caldina98 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Those are the same bikes im thinking about drummer! I ruled out the merida 91 as it had crapy thumb shifters which I really dislike.

Its been a month and I have not purchased a bike as yet. My ride list are specialized allez, reid falco elite, defy composite 3 and hasa r1. Although there are no hasa dealers here in qld :(

Ps. Chick at reid offered the elite for $700.
caldina98

Postby angryassdrummer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:22 am

i ruled out the Merida too, but because it was the dearest one
im 99% sure ill get a Falco Elite unless the sales people at Reid are as bad as some online forums say. Then ill probably get the Defy 3 2013 either 2nd hand or new
but im pretty sure the Falco Elite seems like a really good entry bike for me to start with
just need ATO to hurry up and send me my return so i can get it
angryassdrummer

Postby johnford » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:57 am

Hi AAD

If you are new to bikes than may I offer some thoughts from an oldie.

All bikes are a compromise. The problem with starting new is that you have no idea where your parameters lie - no baseline from which to work.

Buy a second hand bike which looks as if it will meet with your expectation then get riding. After a few months you will know a whole lot more and will have save lots of $$$$.
johnford

Postby irrelevant_apple » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 am

use code gcss5 at Reid checkout for another 5% off the Falco elite. Get in before Monday when their prices go back up! Too bad they don't seem to be offering the aksiums on their website another 5% off them would make them sweet.
irrelevant_apple

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

Or see if you can get Caldina's price... I paid $760 and thought it was a steal. I tried the gcss code and it didn't work for me. But I managed to get in before they ran out of Aksium wheelsets.

ATO is being a bit slow this year... I put my return in on 1 July and still nothing.
lobstermash

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts