new in bris.. brand/model help needed

angryassdrummer

Re: new in bris.. brand/model help needed

Postby angryassdrummer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:08 am

yeah if their prices go back up before i have the cash then i will more than likely go a 2nd hand bike

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 am

Nah, get in there and haggle. Prices are just suggestions.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 pm

I actually think the Reid Falco Sport at $568 is a touch better value than the Elite for $200 more. Tiagra 4600 is a very good entry level group, well ahead of Sora, and not far behind 105 IMO.
Anyway I'd recommend atleast lay-buying one to lock in the current price if you don't have the cash atm. And don't forget their bonus free stuff with new bikes: http://www.reidcycles.com.au/free_kit

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:51 pm

The elite isn't just 105 though, it's also FSA and Shimano hubs, as opposed to Zoom and Quando hubs. That's where the Cell Swift gains ground on the Sport IMO.

angryassdrummer

Postby angryassdrummer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am

bought a 2nd hand bike through gumtree for $350
Learsport 8000 with shimano 105 all round
took it to local store got it fitted, got shimano mountain bike shoes/pedals, helmet and pump

got to say it was both exciting and scary as hell riding it yesterday lol

its literally been 25 years since i bought my last bike, and that was a mountain bike. back then i rode everyday everywhere i went. was almost like learning again yesterday..hard to turn sharp at this stage + getting used to both feeling every single bump and pebble on the road shaking the bike and getting the shoes off the cleats quick - SCARY! hahah only had the guts and stamina to do a short ride around Thorneside. once im more confident with getting off the pedals quickly then ill be a lot more confident to go further. looking forward to it

thanks for everyones advice

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

welcome to the outdoors

angryassdrummer

Postby angryassdrummer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 am

well i bush walk, 4x4 and surf so im no stranger to the outdoors
but thanks anyway haha

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 am

angryassdrummer wrote:bought a 2nd hand bike through gumtree for $350
Learsport 8000 with shimano 105 all round
took it to local store got it fitted, got shimano mountain bike shoes/pedals, helmet and pump

got to say it was both exciting and scary as hell riding it yesterday lol

its literally been 25 years since i bought my last bike, and that was a mountain bike. back then i rode everyday everywhere i went. was almost like learning again yesterday..hard to turn sharp at this stage + getting used to both feeling every single bump and pebble on the road shaking the bike and getting the shoes off the cleats quick - SCARY! hahah only had the guts and stamina to do a short ride around Thorneside. once im more confident with getting off the pedals quickly then ill be a lot more confident to go further. looking forward to it

thanks for everyones advice
Welcome back. :) You can wind back the spring tension on the pedals, which will make getting in & out easier while you're getting used to them, then as you get more confident you can start to wind them back up for a bit more security. On each end of the pedal (I'm assuming standard double-sided MTB pedals) you'll see a small bolt with a 3mm allen key socket. These are the adjustment bolts, one for each cleating mechanism. Wind them anti-clockwise as far as they'll go to loosen the tension.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

angryassdrummer

Postby angryassdrummer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:55 am

the guy at the local bike store said he set them to easy, and bring them back in when im used to them and he would make them more secure.
still finding them a little hard to get out quick, but ill practice a lot all this week before starting to ride further next week
ill have a look today too to see if they can loosen anymore
cheers