$400ish Wheelset Advice

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

$400ish Wheelset Advice

Postby Shpox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:04 am

Hi guys, been looking at getting a decent wheelset to replace my Easton EA30's to deliver a bit of extra speed. I'm ideally looking for a wheelset that will last me in-between bikes, so durability is a concern. I'd like to be able to use these as training wheels many years down the track. Weight is also a concern. I'm at a low weight atm (58kg) and hope to spend the summer improving climbing. Currently, I've looked at the following with the prices and weights listed.

Shimano RS80 C24 Carbon/Alloy Clincher Wheelset = 1521g - $382.
Campagnolo Zonda =1555g - $430
Bracciano S = 1482g - $419
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Wheelset =1652g - $393

At the moment, I'm not interested in custom building as I don't know a decent wheel builder. For value, I'm looking at the RS80's as the price seems great. For aesthetics, I really love the Zonda. Have had my heart set on it for a while, but it doesn't beat the RS80's for value. Would appreciate any insight.
Shpox

by BNA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am

BNA

Re: $400ish Wheelset Advice

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am

Shpox wrote:...

At the moment, I'm not interested in custom building as I don't know a decent wheel builder. For value, I'm looking at the RS80's as the price seems great. For aesthetics, I really love the Zonda. Have had my heart set on it for a while, but it doesn't beat the RS80's for value. Would appreciate any insight.

For <$50 diff, buy the ones you really want.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 am

I recently purchased Shimano Ultegra 6700 & they're good. Yet to really try them out on a climb, but they're good on the flat. I was tossing up between those & the C24's.
After speaking to the guy at the LBS he reckoned there isn't that much difference between them & the 6700's are probably more durable. But I am about 83kgs & ride on crappy Sydney roads.
But I reckon you can't go wrong with either & the C24's are a very good price.
IMO, if you have your heart set on Zonda's, go with them, but can't offer an opinion on how they ride.
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

Postby Shpox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks guys. My only concern with campag is the cost of replacement parts. A replacement spoke is about $70.00 on ebay :shock: which is a bit nasty. I'm assuming something like the Fulcrum 3's are going to be just as expensive to replace.

Between the 6700 and CS4, the only difference I think is the part carbon rim, looks to use the same hub and is lighter for less money. Brain always win over heart unfortunately as I'm going to be riding on these things, not staring at them all day.
Shpox

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

I would look at the Bracciano Wheelset from Pro-Lite, reasonably light, good set of hoops.
nailsaslegs

Postby sdnelson19 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am

If you want a great wheelbuilder for something custom; talk to Greg Ryan at http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/. Tell him your budget and he can help you out. I've bought 2 sets of wheels off him in the past and am incredibly impressed. Uses off the shelf DT or Sapim spokes so replacement costs are minimal (and he will do the labour for free if you break a spoke or a wheel).
sdnelson19

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 am

You might like to have a read of the wheel shoot-out done in Cycling Plus magazine (UK), not all the models you've mentioned are listed but the brands are certainly represented.

http://2011.pro-lite.net/images/stories ... wheels.pdf

Your comparison above is only based on price & weight. Other important factors are aerodynamics, durability, spares availability & cost, bearing quality, support.

I'd of course love to get you onto a set of Bracciano's, we support them locally. The spares are considered generic although I carry the genuine parts at reasonable prices.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby SpinninWheels » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:34 am

Shpox wrote: For aesthetics, I really love the Zonda. Have had my heart set on it for a while, but it doesn't beat the RS80's for value. Would appreciate any insight.

If you have a Platinum Wiggle discount (or know someone who does), they are now offering 20% off for a few days. I just ordered a set of Zonda's for a mate, the extra discount would have made them about $390.
SpinninWheels

Postby Shpox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks all for the responses. After some research, some concerns with the C24 is the regular maintenance of the hub over say cartridge bearings, the life of the break surface and the need for constant truing probably stemming from the lower spoke count. All of this is anecdotal, but still of consideration.

Nelson, I had a read of website. I'll give Greg a call, but I'm a bit hesitant about custom builds. I feel much more confident with builds that a number of individuals have tested and tried.

Jacko, I'm a big fan of your support of the Braccs and you're availability on these forums and it lends a lot of confidence to someone like who is interested in what happens if an accident does occur. I ride on country roads and have yet to have any issue with my Eastons, but in the worst case scenario, it's quite important. With the opportunities to ask a few questions, is the Shimano freehub silent on these wheels or will it need a dab of R&R to get there? Is rimtape also supplied/required? I know there's an active prolite team somewhere in qld, so if they're available and close by, I might pop down to see if I could test the Brac S out.

SpinninWheels wrote:If you have a Platinum Wiggle discount (or know someone who does), they are now offering 20% off for a few days. I just ordered a set of Zonda's for a mate, the extra discount would have made them about $390.

Cheers, I got that email today. I'm eligible for a 12% discount. My favorite wheel except for the replacement part costs.
Shpox

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Shpox wrote:
Jacko, I'm a big fan of your support of the Braccs and you're availability on these forums and it lends a lot of confidence to someone like who is interested in what happens if an accident does occur. I ride on country roads and have yet to have any issue with my Eastons, but in the worst case scenario, it's quite important. With the opportunities to ask a few questions, is the Shimano freehub silent on these wheels or will it need a dab of R&R to get there? Is rimtape also supplied/required? I know there's an active prolite team somewhere in qld, so if they're available and close by, I might pop down to see if I could test the Brac S out.

The freehub is reasonably quiet from new but is not "silent". Freshly serviced with Rock N Roll Red Devil and they are as close to silent as you'll ever find. My recommendation would be to run them as they come for at least the first 1000kms. After that if you want to quiet them down, do the service with the Rock N Roll Red Devil.

The freehub service is a very easy DIY job, the only tools you need are two sets of metric allen keys. Video directions are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FZeV3glmOI

Top quality rim tape and skewers are included with the wheels. You only require tyres, tubes and a cassette which we can also supply if required.

If you'd like to test ride I am quite sure one of the YorHealth team riders would be happy to catch you on a training ride and do the swap. If you don't know any of the boys you can contact them via their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/JSSCT

Alternately, if you buy them and aren't happy after the first couple of rides - return them and I'll refund your money minus freight costs. I am very confident you'll be happy with the purchase but also willing to back that up with a money-back guarantee.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby brades68 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:34 am

Shpox wrote:Bracciano S = 1482g - $419

Shpox I have a set of the Braccianos' and being a 'fuller framed' rider i can only sing their praises. I recently did the Midi-Smiddy (bris - toowoomba-warwick-bris, 570km over 3 days) and they didn't miss a beat - no issues at all. I find they spin really well and don't notice the freehub noise like i did on my Mavics.
I thought enough of them to buy a set of the 650c Braccianos for my daughter who rode them at the Qld Jnr State Road Championships.

Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Postby thejester » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm

I dont think Deon cuts and pastes :shock:
he actually seems to write a different reply to everyone. kudos!

you know, no one would blame you if you did :D
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie
thejester

Postby GolferGoneMad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

I have my Braccianos on order and cant wait for them to arrive for this weekends ride

Giant TCR 0 2014
Giant Defy 1
GolferGoneMad

Postby bollo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Shpox wrote:Hi guys, been looking at getting a decent wheelset to replace my Easton EA30's to deliver a bit of extra speed. I'm ideally looking for a wheelset that will last me in-between bikes, so durability is a concern. I'd like to be able to use these as training wheels many years down the track. Weight is also a concern. I'm at a low weight atm (58kg) and hope to spend the summer improving climbing. Currently, I've looked at the following with the prices and weights listed.

Hi Shpox where are you getting your prices for the RS80 C24 carbon / ali rims & the 6700 Ultegra's ?

i to am in the market for new rims i was also looking at the fulcrum 3's but they cost a little more

cheers Allan
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
bollo

Postby Shpox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Hey Allan, they were on Wiggle but are now sold out. I wasn't interested in them in the end because they're weren't 11 speed compatible.

Deon from Pro-Lite has been great really great with providing information. It came down to the Zonda & Bracc for me. There's not much in them in terms of long term durability or price but it's nice to have the local support from Deon. Spoke packs aren't too exxy for the Zonda, but a few years down the track who knows if a G3 spoke will be easy to find. I'm not sure how else to compare them without riding but the Brac has a slighter more aero profile.

I'm in the process of organizing a test in Brisbane before finally sealing the deal. :mrgreen:
Shpox

Postby richbee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:42 am

Shpox wrote:My only concern with campag is the cost of replacement parts. A replacement spoke is about $70.00 on ebay :shock: which is a bit nasty. I'm assuming something like the Fulcrum 3's are going to be just as expensive to replace.

Really, I think that seller is extracting the urine a bit. Total Cycling have Zonda spoke kits consisting of 2 front & 4 rear spokes plus nipples at $41.26.
richbee

Postby simonn » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:44 am

Bracciano. The only one in your selection that has reasonably generic parts and has both shimano and campy hub bodies available (should get bored of fishing gear :twisted:). That was my reasoning anyway.
simonn

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 am

simonn wrote:Bracciano. The only one in your selection that has reasonably generic parts and has both shimano and campy hub bodies available (should get bored of fishing gear :twisted:). That was my reasoning anyway.

Just for the record, Shimano was making bicycle parts a decade before Campagnolo was founded.
biker jk

Postby richbee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 am

biker jk wrote:Just for the record, Shimano was making bicycle parts a decade before Campagnolo was founded.

Yes, but only a freewheel. They didn't start making deraillers till 1956 by which Time Campagnolo had been at it for 23 years and the great grand daddy of the parallelogram derailleur world, the Gran Sport was introduced in 1951 - which design Shimano copied :twisted:
richbee

Postby richbee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 am

Has this thread been successfully highjacked?
richbee

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Shpox wrote:Thanks all for the responses. After some research, some concerns with the C24 is the regular maintenance of the hub over say cartridge bearings, the life of the break surface and the need for constant truing probably stemming from the lower spoke count. All of this is anecdotal, but still of consideration.

Shimano hubs only need to be serviced once a year (I've gone two years on some wheels) and the task is very easy compared to cartridge bearings. You may wish to ask Deon how frequently he suggests the Bracciano hubs need to be serviced. I have done around 10,000km on a set of Shimano RS80 C24s and the brake track is fine (plenty of life remaining). At 58kg there is no issue with the low spoke count RS80s. Besides, the Zonda has the same number of spokes on the front and just one more on the rear wheel compared to the RS80. If you want a climbing wheelset for the price you can't beat the RS80 C24 since the rims are very light (around 385 grams each).
biker jk

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:47 pm

simonn wrote:Bracciano. The only one in your selection that has reasonably generic parts and has both shimano and campy hub bodies available (should get bored of fishing gear :twisted:). That was my reasoning anyway.

That's not correct. Campag/Fulcrum are available with both bodies.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 pm

The Pro-LIte Bracciano hub uses sealed Japanese EZO bearings, the hub itself requires no maintenace.

The maintence we do recommend is for the freehub. It is a very simple 10 minute job with basic tools, not nearly the same as dismantling a cup and cone hub.

Personally I do mine when I replace the chain and that seems to be about right for most people who want to maintain their equipment to a high level.

Of course you could not do this maintenance but it would reduce the performance as well as the life of the components.
jacks1071

Postby simonn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

Duck! wrote:

You must have misread.
simonn

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 am

simonn wrote:
Duck! wrote:

You must have misread.

Maybe you should be clearer in your intent.

For the record, virtually all vaguely decent hub manufacturers offer both freewheel body patterns. The notable exception is Shimano, who only make their own spline pattern.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts