Newbie bike + trainer =or> exercise bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Newbie bike + trainer =or> exercise bike

Postby Cassieb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Wanted to get an exercise bike cos it's long cold winter. Was suggested to get a bike and trainer instead , looks good!

Looking at trek 7.3 fx wsd + cycleops fluid trainer

Would be using each day for 30min for fitness then ill take bike on either bike track behind my house or around local lake on weekends. Maybe even red to work in summer? (Live less then 10km from work)

Will the trainer put up with daily 30min + use? Do I need a trainer tyre for that kind of use? Is it a good bike and trainer? (Budget is $1000- this package is about $1100 with bike on $150 off sale- price is for helmet, pump, lights, drink bottle holder etc too as I'm a real newbie)

I need convincing that a bike and trainer is going to be superior to buying a decent exercise bike

Thanks!!
Cassieb

by BNA » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:31 am

BNA

Re: Newbie bike + trainer =or> exercise bike

Postby rjk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:31 am

get the bike and trainer it will give you the best of both worlds, indoor for crappy weather and outdoor for some great riding ending up in coffee shops or down the pub for a beer with friends :)

Get an old rear wheel from someone who has worn it out and get an old tyre or trainer tyre as well you can just swap over the rear wheel instead of changing tyres when you want to go outside for a ride, the trainer will certainly flatten off the tyre and wear it out. Get a computer or speedo for your bike that has a rear wheel cadance and speed sensor as you will want to know what you are doing and how you have improved over time

1 other thing you will need is a fan to cool you down while on the trainer, there is no air movement so you heat up quite quickly, i also set my trainer up in an area that has a cut off piece of carpet underneatth the bike beacause you end up sweating a lot and it quiets the trainer noise from transmitting thru the floor

Cycleops fluid is a great trainer, but the kurt kinetic is even better

Also set up a tv you can watch as you will get bored just sitting on the bike
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:36 pm

An exercise bike will be better at being an exercise bike - smoother, quieter, more comfortable, more features etc. But it won't take you down the road very far.
MattyK

Postby Cassieb » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks! ill look into the Kurt Kientic and see if its in my budget. Im trying to convince the hubby to let me set it up near the TV, the trainer does give the benefit that its more portable then an exercise bike, so have it in spare room for when guests are around. do you have any recommendations on computer/speedo - ill look up the forums a bit more too but happy for your help :)
Cassieb

Postby nickobec » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:04 pm

bike + trainer gives you more options than exercise bike

plus if you like me, you will hate riding on the trainer and just ride the bike outside

don't worry about buying a spare rear wheel, cassette and/or training tyre just yet. wait until you have worn a tyre or two out on the trainer, then make the decision on a financial basis

+ 1 to big fan blowing air on you, a few towels to mop up the sweat
nickobec

Return to Buying a bike / parts