Newby found a bike already

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Newby found a bike already

Postby Crankyank » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am

Hey all,
Been lurking, researching, reading like mad for the last month or so in preparation for a new bike purchase. I have a 4 year old starting out, so I wanted to ride with him after many years of indolence and sloth. :D

After my research and talking to several very helpful LBSs here in Perth, I decided a 29er MTB would work best for me. I test rode Scott Aspect, Giant Talon 1 and Merida Big nine 500. I had pretty much decided on a new Giant due to high spec level (for the price) and just seemd to fit me better. Then, after many weeks of keeping an eye on Gumtree in the remote chance something newish popped up, a bike appeared which I couldn't pass up. Long story short, I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Bianchi Jab 29.3. Beautiful bike, only 3 months old, with better components than any of the bikes I was testing, and for an excellent price. $900 all up with a helmet and tool bag with spare tube and multitool thrown in.

Seems to maybe be a euro-specced or global bike(?) as some of the components listed on Bianchi Australia website are not on it, but the "global" model has them, like an FSA crankset versus Shimano in AU? No biggie in any case, the bike is very comfortable and smooth, with a very slick shifting XT setup and brakes that will skid both wheels at full grip. Only downside so far is that the saddle has the comfort of a sculpted Italian marble saddle! Maybe the bottom just needs some bike time to get used to it again.

I'm sure I will be on here asking about upgrades in the future, but for now it's time for a ride.

PS After visiting a talking with 6 different shops around Perth, I can state that they were all very helpful and more than willing to let me test ride their wares. Kudos to the Perth LBSs.
Crankyank

by BNA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am

BNA

Re: Newby found a bike already

Postby TraceyG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am

Nice looking bike. I can't imagine why someone would be selling it at just three months old.
TraceyG

Postby Crankyank » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 am

Owner said he wanted to take up cyclocross instead.
Crankyank

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:07 pm

SCORE! :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Thats a nice bike for that price...

Same shocks, Brakes, cassette, shifters, derailleur as my Merida.. they will serve you well!
DoubleSpeeded

Return to Buying a bike / parts