Road fork for 1,1/8" external headset (& Easton EC70 fork)

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Road fork for 1,1/8" external headset (& Easton EC70 fork)

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi,

I'm putting together a steel roadie with a 1,1/8" external headset and am looking into carbon forks that will suit. I've got a small list of suitable candidates (Columbus Minimal, IRD Mosaic, Dimension RT-10, a Nashbar jobbie and a few others) but can't decide whether to rule the Easton EC70 in or out. It seems to have a smaller crown diameter than most forks designed for integrated forks and from the mostly unclear photos I can find does seem to be matched with external headset from time to time, but it's not entirely clear. Does anyone use one and can they tell me what the crown diameter is?

Also, if anyone can tell me of any carbon forks that might suit (rake 45mm or 43mm) please let me know, in case I've missed it? The budget won't stretch to Enve or similar, so call it <$250.

I haven't entirely ruled out a steel fork, but there are surprisingly few off the peg options.

Cheers
Jean

by BNA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:14 pm

BNA

Re: Road fork for 1,1/8" external headset (& Easton EC70 for

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Any 1 1/8" steerer tube will fit any 1 1/8" headset, regardless of whether it's external or integrated. All that needs to match is whether it's threaded or not.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Re: Road fork for 1,1/8" external headset (& Easton EC70 for

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Duck! wrote:Any 1 1/8" steerer tube will fit any 1 1/8" headset, regardless of whether it's external or integrated. All that needs to match is whether it's threaded or not.

Technically yes, aesthetically no.

Forks designed for integrated headsets usually have crown measurement of about 45mm. External headsets will usually have a diameter that is few millimeters larger, but the two usually (but not always) don't go together too well on in the looks department. Carbon forks designed for external headsets (such as the Columbus minimal) have a smaller crown diameter (the crown 'platform') and more pronounced shoulder to make it look better with traditional head tubes and external headsets.
Jean

Return to Buying a bike / parts