Pedels

Chuckles1981

Pedels

Postby Chuckles1981 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Im sure this topic has been discussed before...

But im abit confused b it all the different kinds/type on the market. :shock:

I just bought a Trek 7.5 FX and its a great fast bike, and had a cage fitted to the pedels.

But im now wanting to upgrade to a better system and wanted to know if any one have any advice ??? :D
NOW
Trek 7.5 FX
Jamis Ranger 3.0

NEXT
Giant Trance X1

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Shimano SPD system. It is "for MTBs", but unlike the other systems, the shoes look normal and you can walk around almost normally in them. This is handy if you are commuting and drop into the supermarket etc on the way home etc.

And, the pedals and shoes are generally cheaper.

I have Shimano M520 pedals on my roadie and M424s on my MTB. Can't remember what my shoes are (and I drove into work today... for the first time in ~6 weeks).

Chuckles1981

Postby Chuckles1981 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:10 pm

But im guessing each pedal will go with a certin shoe???
not are the same and compatible im guessing...
and the mechanics of the cleat and pedals are they easy to use and durable???
NOW
Trek 7.5 FX
Jamis Ranger 3.0

NEXT
Giant Trance X1

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Chuckles,
Each pedal has a cleat associated with it. Many shoes will accept multiple types of cleats. The shoes will explicitly state which cleats they will take. The cleats, which will wear out first, are replaceable.

You can often buy shoe/cleat/pedal combos, although you don't have to. Hunt around for the best bargain. Cell have some nice looking shoes on sale at the moment, try them.

Cheers,
David

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 pm

G'day

Another vote here for Shimano SPD pedals such as has been suggested. You will need a pair of shoes that take SPD cleats. Normally MTB shoes will do the trick.

Chain Reaction Cycles have some good options for your consideration.

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 pm

My standard advice (which hasn't changed for some time now) is to use Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals. The cleats are compatible with SPD hole placement in the shoes, and the pedals themselves are bullet-proof (and rebuildable).

Used with mountain bike shoes, you get shoes designed for riding in, but suitable for walking in (or stopping at the lights and not slipping on the grounded cleat ....).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm

+1 for MTB shoes/pedals for commuting. I have to clatter up and down the steps of the Sydney Harbour Bridge en route, and I wouldn't like to try that in the wet with roadie shoes.

I have Shimano M520s on both the commuter and trail bike and they work well in all conditions, including mud. Can be bought cheaply on fleaBay. Buy your shoes from the LBS, don't try to guess the size for your first pair as they need to be a size or two smaller than street or athletic shoes. The reason is that your foot doesn't spread as much pedalling compared to walking/running.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm with Kalgrm on the Crank Bros series. I've got 3 bikes... 3 pairs of CB Pedals and I'm happy. But it can be a religious debate, really.

+1 on the more unanimous idea of the 'normal' style MTB shoes for their versatility.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:16 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:Buy your shoes from the LBS, don't try to guess the size for your first pair as they need to be a size or two smaller than street or athletic shoes.
Interesting as mine are opposite, but then I have wide feet.

Andrew