Tokyowheels or alternative

Farqs

Tokyowheels or alternative

Postby Farqs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:52 am

First post guys

I'm looking at purchasing some new wheels and discovered Tokyowheels online. Just wondering if anyone has purchased from them before and whether or not the wheels are durable? Specifically I'm tossing up 38-50 clincher or tubular option http://www.tokyowheel.com/products/epic ... r-wheelset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm current on Campagnolo Zondas which are great and I'm in two minds as to whether I'll get any material benefit from an aero wheel. I'm looking at some endurance races over the coming months and like the idea of being able to maintain speeds with ease.

I'm a heavier rider 97kg (getting lighter each week) and if there's a better option please let me know.

Crawf

Re: Tokyowheels or alternative

Postby Crawf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:16 am

These are essentially the same wheel-set as those coming out of China, albeit with a snazzy logo/decals. They even offer the same upgrades as the China suppliers - how coincidental?
The only benefit is a better warranty, but you're even paying for that with the price tag.

Farqs

Postby Farqs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 am

Hmmm might give Tokyowheels the swerve then.

rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm

i have bought carbon wheels from http://www.light-bicycle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my cx bike, extremely happy with them mine were $600 deliverd, give them a look.

I would personally use more spokes on carbon wheels, had a mate whose zipp 404 front wheel fail him heading downhill at over 60kmh, took him a while to get out of hospital.

i run 32 spokes on my cx wheels, just gives me a bit more confidence
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 am

Check out flo wheels, they are a similar price, they use a cheaper construction method (so they are heavier) but they are built for speed. They get rave reviews.

The only issue is you have to compete to actually buy a set as they only make around ~1000 at a time!

Farqs

Postby Farqs » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:49 pm

http://www.williamscycling.com/Mix-Matc ... p_106.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone tried these Williams wheels with ceramic bearings?

Farqs

Postby Farqs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:03 pm

So I've narrowed the search down to Zipp 60s or Flo 60s (thanks George-bob) and have found a few deals online.

So you can pick up the 404 Firecrest Clincher in Oz from $2,689 (apparently there are warranty benefits + not risk of duty when they come in from the UK) or $2,530 from wiggle. The other options that I'm looking would be the Flo 60s which land for $1,065 plus any associated duty or The Zipp 60s for $1,499 (again through a lbs). Surely a weight saving of 379 grams isn't worth $1,624 (assuming no duty) on the Flos?

So I'm now tossing up between the Zipp 60s with their older 404 aero profiling, brand name and 116 gram weight saving over the Flo 60s and their hip pocket saving of $434. Decisions Decisions Decisions.

Has anyone out there tried the Flo 60s with ceramic bearings and how do they hold up?

rideingnz

Postby rideingnz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Farqs wrote:http://www.williamscycling.com/Mix-Matc ... p_106.html

Anyone tried these Williams wheels with ceramic bearings?
I brought the clincher 58's and they turned up in less than a week, I also crashed and broke my collar bone racing on them the first time as well, they're quick!!!.

Williams replied within 24 hours to any questions and were great to deal with. The 58 is great for sprinting on and even climbing, get a 38 front wheel if its windy in your neighbourhood the 58 is ok in slight cross winds but if your racing in a pack and theres wind gusts you'll fly sideways like a kite. They've just released a new carbon frame, which looks sexy and as with all Williams stuff is affordable. You get a great race wheel at an affordable price with williams. Im waiting for reviews on there frame.

James.Ferrer

Postby James.Ferrer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Last edited by James.Ferrer on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wideopen

Postby Wideopen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 am

James, can you give me a price to ship a pair of Tokyowheel EPIC 38 Clincher Wheel-sets to Bermuda?

chaamp1

Postby chaamp1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Tokyowheel is thus far the best wheelset beside Enve. I'm not sponsored by any company but just wanted to provide my experience on the Tokyowheel 3.4 that I bought. Even this wheel is made in china but it is worth to give it a serious thought about it! No joke at all. Over the years I have used all kinds of wheelsets, Fulcrum Racing Carbon, Fulcrum Racing Zero, Campy Bora, NSW303, Zipp 303 Firecrest, Metron 55, Fulcrum Zero Nite 17c, Mavic Exalite SL, Mavic Ksyrium Pro, and the old Reynolds, I love the NSW303 but I can't justify myself to bring this wheel for a race because its overly expensive, even with this reason but I still find that the Tokyowheel outperforms the NSW in terms of stiffness and responsiveness. The 3.4 is similar to the Metron 55 but the Metron is quite heavy. Believe me, I can say that the best wheelset I have owned is the Tokyowheel, for those who don't trust on this wheelset are missing out, you have to try to it know, don't look down on China wheelsets, I know the decals are not so good and the skewer are crappy but the wheelset... its AWESOME! Trust me!

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm running a set of Venn 507's on my BMC Timemachine.

50mm deep, wide at 28mm outer, 21mm internal and light-ish at 1600g

With current discount come in under $1K delivered:

https://www.probikekit.com.au/bicycle-w ... 87626.html

Roll super smooth, braking is silent but not the most powerful with the supplied pads. Very little issue with cross-winds, very little flex, love mine.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:14 pm

James.Ferrer wrote:Hi Everyone,

This is James Ferrer from Tokyowheel. It's great to see you all discussing wheels. I'd like to give you the opportunity to use this forum/thread as a communication channel with myself and Tokyowheel. Feel free to ask me any questions you have, or give any comments you would like. Thanks guys.
Hi James, Welcome and thanks for the opportunity to answer some questions.

Here are some of mine :
- What makes your wheels different than others that can be purchased from already know suppliers like Farsports, Light Bicycle or even places like Wiggle et al ?
- An example is the Epic 50mm disc clincher - rated for 100kg riders, yet has 20 spokes for the front only - isn't this a bit light in terms of spoke count ?
- who supplies your rims and who does the building of the wheels ?

That's a start for me

Cheers

Michael

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Check the dates... This isn't just a grave-dig, it's bordering on archaeological.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Duck! wrote:Check the dates... This isn't just a grave-dig, it's bordering on archaeological.
And we are never suspicious of someones first post (dragging up such an old thread) extolling the virtues of a product and urging us to buy :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 am

Duck! wrote:Check the dates... This isn't just a grave-dig, it's bordering on archaeological.
Oops. Still on line though ...