Resizing a bike

systema83

Resizing a bike

Postby systema83 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum :D

Just got my hands on a Giant CFR3 in lovely condition but didn't realize that the frame was too big for myself (the top tube height almost equals to my inseam length!). Just trying to figure out if there is a way to resize the frame itself. I was thinking of shortening the top, down and seat tube (all of these are carbon tubes bonded to al lugs) while reducing the angle between the chainstay and seatstay.

Just not sure if this is a really bad idea :roll: or something feasible. But if it is something that is possible, I would love to hear from others who may have done that before re: the cost involved as well.

PS: Alternatively, if anyone is looking for a 55cm CFR3 in Brisbane... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Duck!
Expert

Re: Resizing a bike

Postby Duck! » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:45 pm

You're talking about doing some exceedingly major structural modification. It's definitely a bad idea and not feasible!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Really bad idea. Time to get back in the market :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Just not sure if this is a really bad idea :roll: or something feasible. But if it is something that is possible, I would love to hear from others who may have done that before re: the cost involved as well.
+1 It's a bad idea. In my younger days I got stooged by a "reputable" shop in Melbourne. The steel road frame I bought as part of a fully built up bike had steep track angles instead of more relaxed road angles and was very uncomfortable after 50-60kms. A few years later I asked my LBS to change the top tube but the inherent steep angle for the seat remained which didn't suit me. You have a carbon bike which simply doesn't fit you. Sell it and buy something that fits you. Put it down to experience and move on.

systema83

Postby systema83 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Hmmm, seems like the frame isn't for me then. I am thinking of mounting some of the running gears onto my old bike (namely the wheelsets and cassette). I know that front with be fine, but I am not sure if the rear wheel will work. My old bike has a 8 speed Shimano RD while the rear wheel from the CFR3 has a Campy hub and cassette (also 8 speed) (also just recently rebuilt). I have swapped them and rode for a few clicks and seems to be shifting ok (though less smooth compared to the shimano cassette), will I be doing any damage if I keep this combination (Shimano RD + Campy cassette)?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 pm

There's variable compatibility between Campag & Shimano; I know 9-speed is a good match 'cos the sprocket spacing is virtually identical, but not as sure about 8-sp. although I think it's still a reasonably close match. You won't do any damage by running the Campag cassette in the otherwise Shimano group, but the gear tuning may be a bit rough.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.