So i want a bike...some guidance please

tt

So i want a bike...some guidance please

Postby tt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:04 am

Hi All,

It's an amazing forum...

I need some guidance on steps to choosing a nice bike.

I've never own a bike.

I live about 10km north west of melbourne cbd, where i current work. I don't intend to ride to work immediately, well not until i feel comfortable with ridding during peak hour traffic and fit enough to ride such a distance. I think i need a lot of work in the fitness department :(

My immediate use of the bike is for weekend recreational ride.

Why do i want a bike?
- i have always want a bike, but kept on putting it off - until a few days ago, i saw a young lady with a Bianchi on the tram with flat rear tire, i noticed it b/c i was amazed how easy it was for her to lift the bike up the tram...without knowing anything Bianchi, something told me that it's a special bike...and having googled around have confirmed that :D .

My Needs:
- i want to have a good quality bike that's easy to maintain
- i will use it mostly for commuting and recreational weekend leisure ride

My Questions:
- is there a reliable sources online with guidance on how to select a bike?
- should i spend more $$ (eg. over 2k) upfront and get a good bike or settle for something around 1k mark just to familiarise myself with owning a bike before looking at upgrade?
- what sort of bike should i be looking for: city, road, mountain or sport? Is somthing like Avanti Monza or Giant OCR Zero worth looking at?

Thanks.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Welcome aboard.

I've noticed that beginners often give up once they discover hills. I've also noticed that beginners tend to believe that trading up to a better/expensive/lighter/cooler bike will make hills easier to deal with. It won't. Cycling fitness is bloody hard work.

What's this go to do with the price of fish?

Simply, my advice is to buy a bike you like, but don't give up in a fortnight.
No matter what you choose, your bum's going to get sore, your legs will turn to jelly full of hornets, your lungs will burn like never before. BUT, in a month or so, you will be looking forward to some time to go ride your bike.
By Christmas, you will probably have decided exactly which bike you really want. This will give you a spare shopping bike or a trade-in.
By this time next year, you wil have decided which bike you really really want. This will make you like most of the regulars on here. 2+ bikes and a habit that won't go away.

Just don't give up!

Maybe you want something to jump gutters and relive your bmx bandit days as a 9 year old. Maybe you want a racey road bike with 4 spokes and carbon fibre widgets. Maybe you want something you can leave out in the weather coz you cant store it inside. Decide what you probably want, then start shopping.

Don't buy the first one you fancy. Take it for a ride. Take the other one for a ride. Try the other bike shop even tho you still like the colour of the first bike in the other shop. Tell the guy it feels like you're stretching too far to the handlebars. Tell her it feels too twitchy. Tell him you like it but you want a red one. Tell him the seats too high. Ask him why this ones better than that one. Ask her what that means. Ask him if you really need those. Ask her for a brochure. Ask her to try the one with the different handlebars.
Don't feel silly, because the silly customer is the one who bought the first shiny thing they fancied even though it was too big, too small, or just unsuitable for a given purpose. Then sleep on it. Ask your friends what they like about their bikes. Ask them what they'd buy next if they had your budget.

Just make sure it's fun to ride. And don't give up!

Oh, and personally I would buy a sub-$1000 mountain bike with a suspension seatpost, road tyres and a solid steel fork. Add lights, helmet, gloves, knicks and 2 waterbottles while you're at it.

vitualis

Re: So i want a bike...some guidance please

Postby vitualis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:35 pm

tt wrote:My Needs:
- i want to have a good quality bike that's easy to maintain
- i will use it mostly for commuting and recreational weekend leisure ride
With regards to your "needs", most types of bikes will do, be it a mountain bike, a hybrid/city bike, or a road bike. The distance that you are thinking of commuting is not very far so you probably won't necessarily need a commuting oriented bike.

If you have not been a cyclist, may I suggest that you go hire a few bikes and try them out! I think that what you should ultimately buy should depend on the style of cycling that you enjoy.

Best of luck!

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

tt

Postby tt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks guys - that was very insightful.

i took a few bikes for a spin today including some oldies from a 2nd hand shop - and then the Scott P4 and Sub 20. Somehow the old bikes that i tried felt heavy and clunky, the gear change was rough.

out of these the Scott sub 20 was the most appealing. I was going to try a similar priced Giant, but there weren't any in my size and i had a feeling that the guy was trying to talk me out of trying the giant(?) - although i found he was very helpful and knowledgeable

Anyhow, i'll try another shop next weekend where i'm thinking of trying out the avanti montari, and mongose.

i've read other reviews about the scotts, may be i should come back to the shop and try out the p2 & p3 - as i intend to take the bike off-road, in that case the Sub 20 may not be an option.

Keep you posted...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Sounds like you've got the job well in hand tt, good luck with it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brakepad

Postby brakepad » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:00 pm

tt,

Three years ago I was in the same position as you, and I went out and bought myself an Avanti MTB. I rode it a few weekends and as munga said, my legs turned to jelly and my lungs were burning. Guess what, the bike was put away and only came out a few times.

In 2007 I decided to start riding again and I felt the same, but this time it would not only be weekend rides, but a daily commute of 13km. My bum hurt, my legs hurt, and my lungs were on fire. I decided to stick to it.

After two weeks I was feeling better and after a 3 months I needed a faster bike. I bought an Apollo flatbar.

6 months later I still wanted to go faster and bought a roadbike and now I am going to start racing on Sundays.

The money wasn't wasted, I use the flatbar for my daily commute in dry weather and the MTB in the wet and the roadbike for racing and long group rides.

So you are on the right track in taking bikes out for a test.......go ahead, buy what you like.

But remember what munga said......it is not easy in the beginning.

Good Luck

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi,

Being a relative newby myself, I will tell you what little I know.

I ended up getting a Giant OCR1 (today :-)). I also have a repco superlite that is around 19 years old.

I love the repco, she is in good nick and has really nice gear on it.

I picked up my new Giant OCR1 today in Parramatta (Sydney). The guys were very helpful, measured me up during the week to make sure I had the correct size, and test fitted, and adjusted the bike this morning to make sure it fitted me correctly, all the while giving me some sensible advice on how to get the most of riding.

I hopped on it this morning, and couldn't believe how smooth it was to ride, a real pleasure. I did 40km in three rides today, and loved the way the bike handled and rode.

Despite the fact that I can't move tonight (lol) it was still worth the money that I paid and I am glad that I bought a new one, and was also more than happy with the assistance that the bike shop gave me.

One of the things that I have read here, is go and try a few bikes. Find one you are really comfortable on, and buy it, even if its a little more money than you expected. The guys here have said if you get the bike you are comfortable on, and you are happy with, you will me much more inclined to ride it more often.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong