Recommend some road pedals

trailgumby

Re: Recommend some road pedals

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:09 am

Deleted
Last edited by trailgumby on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:57 am

jacks1071 wrote:
eeksll wrote:speedplays are harder to get our of than spds. Normally never had an issue, but after a couple of hard runs (as in running) my ankles where a bit sore and unclipping the speed plays (zeros) was almost a clipstack moment.
Speedplay have a few models, I use the X-series which use no pressure to unclip - once you heel is at the release angle you are out. No need to SNAP or FLICK it out..

Most people these days tend to purchase the Zero model but I still prefer the older X-series.

Admittedly I did get the zeros cause it seemed to be the ones to get. That and I got a bit confused with the different models and exactly what the differences where.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 am

Hi all and thanks for the advice. I'm about to pull the trigger on some speedplays bu was wondering about the cleat covers. The ones on wiggle seem to cover the entire cleat such that you have to remove to ride. Are there any you can leave on? I'm thinking of the daily clamber up an down the Sydney Harbour Bridge steps. Won't be good for the cleats.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi mate. I bought myself just on Friday some keeponkovers z from bikebug. I had a look on ebay and wiggle but they were more expensive without any vouchers. Cheers. Rod

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:50 pm

KeeponCovers from bikebug gets my vote as well.

One thing tho. Great while walking, if your gotta stop in sand etc that will get into the cleat area. So I'm now thinking of getting the cafe covers as well so if I have to take off my keep on and put the cafe covers on I won't gunk up my cleat
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

cage

Postby cage » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Some interesting reading on Speedplay the company and the way they do business... reminds me of another brand with the same first initial.
Full story about halfway down.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 0&start=30
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Haven't read the entire thread since I'm on my phone but has anyone mentioned Keywin?
If there is a need for resistance free float then Keywins would be great. The pedal body can actually float on the axle so you cant adjust the AMOUNT of float but you can make it stiffer or looser by a rubber washer under a screw on the pedal. I use the small shin that locks the pedal in place, no float for me.

Walking in the cleats isn't great but at least the parts you walk on aren't the parts that engage with the pedal so "wear" from walking isn't much of an issue.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:08 pm

They're also crazy light, rebuildable and have plenty of cornering clearance. If you do clip on a corner, the plastic body has a bit of "give" so you don't seem to get thrown sideways as badly as some brands. Last time I tested this was the NSW masters crit championships.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Friction-free float is one issue, the other is I'm really having trouble with the way the 105's hang almost upside down.

After riding the MTB on the weekend, it takes me most of the first commute to get used to the different engagement action again, by which time I've almost been rear-ended a couple of times as I take off and then have my foot slip off the upside down pedal. :(

Most of the guys I see on Shimano road pedals have to look down to to clip in.

The double sided speedplays look like a win all round.

Edit: Bugger, no they don't. That's horrendous corporate bullying. They actually had some of my eBay listings shut down when I advertised for sale some pedal spanners as being compatible with Speedplay, which I'd forgotten about until I read that article. Pigs.

So, Keywin users: how do they hang when your foot is not in them. Do they stay flat or hang rear-down?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Lucky they haven't found BNA yet
I've bought and sold speedplay pedals on here
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Reading through that (very alarming) WW thread leads me to Bebop pedals, which I'd not heard of before and will look into more for my next set. The joys of forums like this :D

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:13 pm

BAA speedplays work well and are a good product. There are ways around their attitude I have some after market spindles in mine there are a few companies making them. If Zero's are hard to get in and out of they are set up wrong they are far easier to get in and out of than any SPD, Look or time pedal I've ever used. Buy the SS wear plate even for 3 hole shoes you will get a very long pedal body and cleat life if you do this.

MM

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Speedplay Zeros arrived this morning from Wiggle. $118.80 post paid.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:Speedplay Zeros arrived this morning from Wiggle. $118.80 post paid.
Thanks for the update TG. What happened with Keywin?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Stainless or cromo?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Cromo. I might upgrade later to Ti aftermarket spindles.

Took them for a 60km spin today around Frenchs Forest, St Ives and Duffys Forest.

I wasn't real impressed when I tried them on the trainer on Christmas Eve - lots of force required to get the spring retainer to engage, a bit hit and miss with getting the foot in the right place, and probably worse on that score than the 105's. I was thinking, "how the hell am I going to commute with these things?"

But the time I invested in getting the Q-factor and release angles set correctly paid off today. No knee pain after the ride. All but one take-off from traffic lights was fine. Just needs a bit of twist of the ankles as suggested in the instructions and they go in.

If they loosen up a little after a few rides as has been suggested I'll be a happy man.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:17 pm

Nobody wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Speedplay Zeros arrived this morning from Wiggle. $118.80 post paid.
Thanks for the update TG. What happened with Keywin?
Ah, the whole single-sided thing was a turn-off. More so than Peedpalsy's threatening behaviour to perceived "infringers", which is usually a real hot-button with me. I looked for the BeBop's as an alternative without success.

TBH I'd kinda forgotten about Keywin as there was no response to my query below. There was one other single-sided candidate that looked like it might hang appropriately (for me) but again, no response when I asked the question. So I pulled the trigger on a pair of speedplays.

I must say the instructions are hard to read. Tiny weenie black print on red and dark orange paper. And don't get me started on them using Phillips head screws instead of allen or Torx. :x

But so far they do seem to perform well. Will update in a couple of months when they've had more use.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:09 pm

trailgumby wrote:...But so far they do seem to perform well. Will update in a couple of months when they've had more use.
Thanks for the reply, I'll wait for your update.

Still having problems with the 105s. I've got the left cleat adjusted as I want it (cleat back, outside of foot with a slight twist to toe out) but now I can only disengage the left foot by twisting inwards. Caused one clip stack already. :roll:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 pm

You do realise the spring tension on the pedal is adjustable?
The only time I've had trouble with shimanos not releasing is when the cleats have been on there too long and the back of the pedal had worn a groove in the ramping area of the cleat.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:30 pm

warthog1 wrote:You do realise the spring tension on the pedal is adjustable?
The only time I've had trouble with shimanos not releasing is when the cleats have been on there too long and the back of the pedal had worn a groove in the ramping area of the cleat.
Thanks, but the cleats are fairly new and the tension is all the way out. I'm used to it now. Maybe I'll be yet another Speedplay customer in the future. I'd still be on SPDs if it wasn't for my knees. :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:01 am

Ok, time for some feedback after a few months.

The Speedplays are excellent. The float is good and if you are used to mtb SPDs you'll be right at home with pedalling these. The knee capsule irritation from sticky cleats is gone. The float action feels almost friction free.

Float is adjustable but spring tension is not. You do need to use chain loob on the spring to keep them easy to engage but once every couple of weeks works for me.

I still find it interesting on weekend rides that lots of experienced roadies still apparently have a lot of trouble clipping into their single sided road pedals. The majority seem to faff about for ages when moving off from the lights. Not something I'm at all comfortable with in traffic.

Engagement is not quite as easy as mtb - it requires almost my body weight on the bottom of the pedal stroke to click in. The upside is that if I don't quite get it in firat time I can still push a couple if pedal strokes without my foot suddenly slipping off with a taxi up my backside, as has happened a couple of times with the SPD-SLs.

My conclusion: almost but not quite as good as mtb pedals for ease of entry and exit, equal for float action and superior for platform stability.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

kb

Postby kb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:15 am

trailgumby wrote: I still find it interesting on weekend rides that lots of experienced roadies still apparently have a lot of trouble clipping into their single sided road pedals. The majority seem to faff about for ages when moving off from the lights. Not something I'm at all comfortable with in traffic.
Probably confused by stopping at lights at all ;-).

I found moving from MTB SPDs to Look Keos took about 1,000km before I clipped in quickly, which definitely surprised me - I thought I was a quicker study than that.. Nowadays it's pretty instant though, and the rare cases when there's a miss, it's pretty easy to keep pedalling and fix it on the run, even on 10% grades.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

I like my speedplay zeros but what worries me more than anything is that I generally have to unclip at the bottom of the pedal stroke so if I need to unclip in emergency then it can be sometimes a little scary for a moment. My frogs and spds I seem to be able to unclip easier anywhere in the pedal stroke. The zeros where good in my crash the other day mind you. They unclipped fine when the bike slipped out from underneath me.

I would use the frogs more on the road bike if they just audibly clicked so you knew you where in. Something in in between the frogs and the zeros would be ideal so I want to try some Light Actions next.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:23 am

rodneycc wrote:Something in in between the frogs and the zeros would be ideal so I want to try some Light Actions next.
Interesting! What are these Light Actions whereforof you speak? Forsooth et cetera...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 am

Google them. There is no adjustment like the zeros but I think the spring is lighter so its easier to get in and out of. Apparently the guy who invented the speedplay x and zero pedals prefers to use the light action himself or so goes the urban myth. :-)

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!