Buying new wheelset

vitualis

Buying new wheelset

Postby vitualis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 am

I've been contemplating of buying a new wheelset for the Colnago and would like some opinions on my various options...

My fallback option is getting another set of Ultegra wheels (WH-6600) from the UK which will cost somewhere around $450-500 including postage depending on discounts and exchange rates.

I think that I would prefer a more traditionally built wheel for the Colnago though (if anything, just so that I don't have yet another set of factory Shimano wheels!) but I'm finding it a little bit hard to justify the cost. DA hubs + Mavic Open Pro rims (bought overseas) + LBS build would probably cost around $550-600. I haven't found anywhere that sells prebuilt DA/Open Mavic Pro wheels without some substantial gouging with postage.

I asked Greg of TWE for a quote and he can build me some pretty good wheels in the $700-850 range... but that's probable more than what I want to spend.

What do people on the forum suggest? Also, has anyone got any personal experience with TWE wheels?

Cheers!
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:26 am

Have you considered a homebuild Michael?
Buy a pair of dungers from the tip and practice stripping and building until you're confident you can lace your own, Sheldon's rather helpful of course.

I'll let somebody else recommend hubs, rims and spokes.

Just a thought.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:37 am

I'd also do a home-build (done 2 sets already) but if that's not your cup of tea, Chain Reaction do custom builds too.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 am

Thanks for the thought but I'm not so keen on going down the pathway of building my own wheels... I think that this is one area that I'm happy to pay for someone who actually knows what they are doing. :wink:

Regards.
Michael Tam
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:00 am

Kalgrm wrote:I'd also do a home-build (done 2 sets already) but if that's not your cup of tea, Chain Reaction do custom builds too.

Cheers,
Graeme
I just had a look... is it only for MTB wheels only?

Cheers.
Michael Tam

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:03 am

Have you looked at the Handbuilt options at Ribble? Crazy cheap with fair postage costs and so many combinations, add to that VAT free and no GST. Win, Win.

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 am

Have you tried talking to Two Wheels Enterprises in Sydney. Greg has had some good reviews on "Cycling Forums".
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 am

I've looked at Ribbles... they are "out of stock" for the handbuilt wheels (insofar those with Ultegra hubs) and have been for months. As for TWE, yes, I've talked to them (as per my original post)... ;)

Cheers.
Michael Tam

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 am

oops.. :oops: I was looking at the 105 hub :)

Jean

Re: Buying new wheelset

Postby Jean » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 pm

vitualis wrote: but I'm finding it a little bit hard to justify the cost. DA hubs + Mavic Open Pro rims (bought overseas) + LBS build would probably cost around $550-600.
Not cheap but properly done you'll probably be able to hand them on to your grand kids. You'd never regret it.
vitualis wrote: I haven't found anywhere that sells prebuilt DA/Open Mavic Pro wheels without some substantial gouging with postage.
Excel Sports in the US may be worth checking out, though I suspect postage (even though they use USPS) may be high.
vitualis wrote: Also, has anyone got any personal experience with TWE wheels?
Never ridden them but had a hold/play with one in a Canberra LBS a little while ago - impressed the hell out of me. Excellent warranty backup

Cheers

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 pm

What do you want the new wheels to achieve?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Good question mike...

I just want the new wheels to be: (i) light-ish (but doesn't need to be crazy light), (ii) relatively durable, (iii) "fun" to ride, and (iv) high "enough" end that I won't be tempted to upgrade again... :wink:

I would prefer the wheels to not clash with the aesthetics of the Colnago as well (i.e., silver rims + spokes preferable, no garish decals, "traditional" build a plus).

With all that, I kind of want a bargain as well... :D

As I said, the Ultegra factory wheels are kind of my fall back position but I'm not too sure I could be bothered replacing the existing wheels for this. The existing wheels are okay but they are rather heavy and there is a bit of damage to the rims.

I noticed that Cell sells some American Classic wheels. Does anyone have any opinions on AC wheels?
Michael Tam

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:48 pm

Have you lookeed at DA wheels? Lighter than your Ultegra right colour scheme

I have a pair (the non scandium ones) and so far they have held up to a 90+kg rider plenty of potholes etc. They are very fast, I quite often pass people freewheeling down a hill, and not much over 1.5kgs in weight

If you look out you can get a good deal I got mine new on ebay for $600 + shipping

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:55 pm

vitualis wrote: ... I noticed that Cell sells some American Classic wheels. Does anyone have any opinions on AC wheels?
I do - they're as noisy as!
My Campagnolo wheels are very quiet by comparison.
The guys I know hwo have them, like them though.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
vitualis wrote: ... I noticed that Cell sells some American Classic wheels. Does anyone have any opinions on AC wheels?
I do - they're as noisy as!
My Campagnolo wheels are very quiet by comparison.
:shock: *swoon*
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:14 am

ozlegacy wrote:Have you lookeed at DA wheels? Lighter than your Ultegra right colour scheme
Thanks for the suggestion. Have been looking but not many people sell the non-scandium DA wheels now...
Excel Sports in the US may be worth checking out, though I suspect postage (even though they use USPS) may be high.
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, they've got a pretty impressive "build your wheelset" form on their website. However, their prices aren't very good and shipping (with UPS, which I have had excellent service from in the past) is $US185 ( http://www.excelsports.com/info.asp?page=13 )... Urgh...

Still considering TWE wheels...

Regards.
Michael Tam

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:50 am

vitualis wrote:I've looked at Ribbles... they are "out of stock" for the handbuilt wheels (insofar those with Ultegra hubs)
Are they out of stock... or is it a case of the wheels are hand made so you order them and then they get made. hence the 3-6 day wait for stock.
Darren

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:59 am

Blaze wrote:
vitualis wrote:I've looked at Ribbles... they are "out of stock" for the handbuilt wheels (insofar those with Ultegra hubs)
Are they out of stock... or is it a case of the wheels are hand made so you order them and then they get made. hence the 3-6 day wait for stock.
They are not available for order (the only option is "email" me when they are back in stock).

There are a number of other handbuilt wheels (e.g., 105 hubs and some Campy hubs) that are in stock.

Regards.
Michael Tam

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:14 am

vitualis wrote:Good question mike...

I just want the new wheels to be: (i) light-ish (but doesn't need to be crazy light), (ii) relatively durable, (iii) "fun" to ride, and (iv) high "enough" end that I won't be tempted to upgrade again... :wink:

I would prefer the wheels to not clash with the aesthetics of the Colnago as well (i.e., silver rims + spokes preferable, no garish decals, "traditional" build a plus).

With all that, I kind of want a bargain as well... :D

As I said, the Ultegra factory wheels are kind of my fall back position but I'm not too sure I could be bothered replacing the existing wheels for this. The existing wheels are okay but they are rather heavy and there is a bit of damage to the rims.

I noticed that Cell sells some American Classic wheels. Does anyone have any opinions on AC wheels?
So you want lighter while providing durability. Are you concerned with Aerodynamics?

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Aero, not so much.

Regards.
Michael Tam

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:17 pm

Its sounding like the Ultegra wheels you first looked at may be the go.

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:55 pm

My wife has okayed getting some custom wheels built with TWE! :D

I think I might get those assuming nothing really good pops up on eBay. Have the warranty and any service issues sorted with a local builder is definitely a plus...

Regards.
Michael Tam

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:58 pm

vitualis wrote:My wife has okayed getting some custom wheels built with TWE! :D

I think I might get those assuming nothing really good pops up on eBay. Have the warranty and any service issues sorted with a local builder is definitely a plus...

Regards.
A review when you get 'em would be appreciated. I'm interested in a set down the track.

Cheers

crog

Postby crog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 pm

I know you are ok'ed the TWE but consider

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Velocity ... 23037.html

Deep V's are $349 at the moment, I just bought a set and Iunderstand they review well on most forums.

Che

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:28 am

Id be interested to know your thoughts on the TWE's.