Another "what bike should I buy thread"… sorry.!

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Another "what bike should I buy thread"… sorry.!

Postby compleks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi everyone.
I did read the sticky and a few other threads, so hopefully I can at least ask the right questions.

This will be my first time back on a bike in years.

I will be moving to St. Kilda (Melbourne) shortly. If you know the area, then you know driving around there can be a nightmare. Plus everything I need will be a short ride away and I can save on petrol and the hassles of parking/traffic etc…

So I'm basically after a daily ride for bashing around town/along the beach/through parks etc...
I'm leaning towards a mountain bike, or something that can take a little more punishment and abuse. There are a few parks I cut through, a bit of off-roading, some hills and probably a bit of kerb hopping as well.
I need something rugged that can handle a bit of tough love. I'm also 6foot and 100kgs (plus whatever I'm carrying), so it will have to withstand a bit of weight.

My budget…? As little as possible.! Preferably around the $300 mark I guess.
I'm happy buying second hand too.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with some basic information or brands it would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone :)
compleks

by BNA » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm

BNA

Re: Another "what bike should I buy thread"… sorry.!

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm

$300 won't get much new.
Cell bikes or Reid Cycles for new ones.

Second hand something with a rigid fork if you choose a "hybrid" type bike.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby open roader » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:07 pm

St Kilda and surrounds are very flat so a heavy bike to cover your weight and potential load will not penalise you.

For your budget I'd be looking for a 2nd hand Giant hybrid or a Giant hard tail MTB - because there are thousands of Giant bikes out there to choose from, often you can find one cheaply that has been neglected from lack of use more so than neglected from over use.

I only point out Giant as one brand to consider as I have had a few Giant MTB's - one in particular is used daily for 5km of paddock checking on a farm - has no favours done to it aside a new chain or two, always caked in mud or dust and after 5 years of continuous service it continues to perform day in, day out.

Try this sort of thing for starters - close to budget, looks very clean and will suit your stated requirements.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Cypress-Bike-for-sale-as-new-/121291310563?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item1c3d8685e3
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby rodneycc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah +1 for a second hand Giant or Trek mtb. You really are not going to get much for $300 but if its just something to start you off then something like this might do (not knowing your size which you need to take into consideration so thats why I like gumtree where you can go and have a look much easier than ebay).

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/scoresby ... 1040948095

Just might need some Schwalbe marathon tyres to roll a little quicker. But other than that has a rack that will come in handy and looks a good buy for $200.

Edit: this does have a suspension fork and a rigid fork might be better for your purposes but for $200 you can prob overlook that.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
Last edited by rodneycc on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Giant Defy Composite 1
2012 Cannondale CAAD10
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2013/14 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby thejester » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:01 pm

St Kilda, pancake flat. Single speed flatbar.
Reid Cycles, Cell Bikes, SE Bikes, Momentum Bikes and all the others.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie
thejester

Postby Stefan_A » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:31 am

compleks wrote:So I'm basically after a daily ride for bashing around town/along the beach/through parks etc...

probably the issue that is most important is intended distance. If you are going to ride >20km/day on work days, I'd say hybrid over mtb due to being able to maintain a higher av speed for less wear and tear on the body. It's a matter of how important your time is.
Stefan_A

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 pm

I'd say suspension forks are optional but some kind of low tread height knobby like a Crossmark, Larsen, or Racing Ralph in the harder compounds that come with the wire bead tyre versions would give you more confidence off road, without penalising you too much on the longer rides.

I'd also be looking for rack mount rivnuts on the seat stays and maybe some cheap racks and panniers

Fat tyres rock for commuting. You can have a lot of fun in the urban environment with a bit of imagination. I get some interesting looks from some of the stuff I do. Stairs are a particular favourite, but only in the early morning when no one's about. ;-)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby mick243 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 am

Stefan_A wrote:
compleks wrote:So I'm basically after a daily ride for bashing around town/along the beach/through parks etc...

probably the issue that is most important is intended distance. If you are going to ride >20km/day on work days, I'd say hybrid over mtb due to being able to maintain a higher av speed for less wear and tear on the body. It's a matter of how important your time is.

I disagree... I have a proper road bike, a hybrid, a 29er MTB and a 26er MTB... The roadie gets ridden just for the pleasure of going for a ride (it doesn't feel right loaded up for a commute). The 26er was my commute packhorse and weekend fun machine for a number of years - it's basically been bashed to death, the only good bit ATM is the frame.... It got replaced by a 29er - which had a fatal design flaw that had the frame crack within a month... Whilst it was off for frame replacement the shop gave me a decent hybrid to commute with - it gets the job done, but it's no fun to ride. When the 29er came back, the frame died again shortly thereafter, so I got a refund and changed brands, and got another 29er (with a differently designed frame) that for the last 12 months has been my daily commuter, and my Funtime bike.

If I was restricted to only having 1 bike, the 29er would win - hands down. It's plenty comfy to commute with, it's plenty comfy and able to load up with gear and go for a long ride, unladen it's about 99% as fast as my roadie! oh and it can go do mtb stuff :-)

If you are restricted to one bike, get the one that will suit the main purpose that you are going to use it for, get the best quality you can afford, and most importantly, make sure it fits you properly.

EDIT: Oh and as above, decent fit to purpose tyres make all the difference. Tyres suitable to off-road wear out fast on road. Tyres made to perform on road don't last on gravel and so on. Cheap tyres aren't good rollers, and often give you more flats.
mick243

Postby compleks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 am

Awesome! Thank you so much for all the replies. This definitely gives me something to research.

I had no idea what a 26er or 29er was, but now I have something else to consider.
I notice Reid are selling a 29er for close to $300/$400. However, having owned a Reid bike before I'm skeptical. I rode one of their fixed gears for about 6 months and it was the bane of my existence...

Mick243 and trailgumby - your replies sit well with me. I think we're probably on the same page. I want a daily commuter that can handle a beating (rack and pannier compaticle), but I want something that will be fun to ride as well!

I will have to pop down to the lbs and see if I can test ride a 26er and a 29er and see which feels right.

I like the idea of a fixed gear, and rode one for about 6 months. It was a cheap bike though and didn't handle the work it was doing. Plus it wasn't much fun to ride.
Can I get a fixed gear mtb? Or even a 3 speed?
I figure less gears means less that can go wrong...

Thanks again, this is a great community here :)
compleks

Postby mick243 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 am

About the only single speed mtb style bike I can think of is the surly karate monkey.... Won't see them in your price range.....

Off the shelf at most LBS, you'll get a range of 18-27 speed. Try and avoid the ultra cheap and the kmart/bigw.

For what you propose, the Reid 29er should do well, maybe just put some nice commuter oriented tyres on it (on my 29 I use mtb tyres that are worn past where they work for mtb, the knobs wear off really fast on road, then you have a road tyre.... Current rear has about 6000Ks on it...)

EDIT: also for what you are proposing, as trailgumby mentioned, no real need for suspension, so the normal advice to get a more upmarket bike with a better fork doesn't really apply - the cheap forks on a cheap bike will do you fine, as will rim brakes

EDIT 2: Whatever you get, just make sure it fits you properly, a bike that doesn't fit is a bike that's a pain in the but to ride is a bike that put you off riding. Buy the best quality you can afford (but don't go silly $400 will get you an ok commuter bike, $6-700 will get you an entry level decent mtb/god commuter, $900-1500 will get you a good mtb/fantastic commuter, $2k+ and I want to see your hardcore mtb videos, red bull races and such... :-) )
mick243

Postby compleks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks Mick, appreciate your time.

Any advice on getting a good 'fitting' bike?
Is it as simple as test riding until I find something comfortable?
I don't want to annoy people at the bike shop if I don't intend on buy a new bike from them.

Cheers.
compleks

Postby mick243 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Find someone who knows about bike fit to go shopping with you....

First and foremost, you need the saddle to be able to get the right height above the bottom bracket.

Then you need to get the seat fore/aft position right.

Then you need to make sure the reach to the handlebars is right.

All of the above may be close enough to live with on any given bike, but may well also require changing out of parts like seat posts and head stems...

A quick ride around the block will be enough to work out if it's close enough (as long as seat height is good)

Have a look through these forums about bike fit, have a look at sheldonbrown.com

Also, different bike geometry and usage will require different riding positions which affect fit too
mick243

Postby compleks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks again. I will do some more research.!

What do you think about this? Without knowing sizes etc...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-kilda ... 1041196353
compleks

Postby mick243 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Can't see anything wrong with that as such, but it's hit and miss as to size, and you don't know how much bits are worn, don't get a warranty, don't know if it's stolen....can you take someone who knows a bit about bikes to look at it? Test ride it? They claim to be leaving the country, offer them 200...

Can you get to an avantiplus store? If so, see if they can fit you up for one of these

http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/r ... re---black

A cheap 26er that will suit your needs just fine (but nowhere near as "good" as a new one of the gumtree link). Cheaper, they'll make sure it fits you, you get a warranty....

Or if you can stretch the budget, torpedo7 have a great deal on this (what I have been flogging the hell out of for the last year)

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/7YB ... essor-29-1

Great bike, you'd need to get measured up elsewhere (like the avanti shop, and then ask if they price match) get a warranty.....

This time of year can be great for bargains at brand shops as they try to clear out all of last years models...

Edit, any of the Reid MTBs would also work for you. But again, the getting measured up thing.....
mick243

Postby compleks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 pm

You're a champion Mick.

Your first link didn't work, but I can see the link says it was the Raleigh Venture bike?

The Avanti Aggressor looks nice!
That is a good discount as well. Maybe the budget can stretch… haha.

Genuinely appreciate all your time and help. I will check this all out tomorrow.
Thanks!
compleks

Postby mick243 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Welcome, yeah, I just tried the link and it's dead here too - weird.. But click through their website and you'll find it, and at $280 you can't really go wrong.... Yes it's a downmarket one with no fruit, but will do the job for you and be reasonably foolproof, backed up by a local store (assuming there is an avanti store near you - there are lots of them) having said that, all the major brands will have something similar at a similar price point, the idea is to get you hooked and looking for something better......

Enter the aggressor.... The one from torpedo7 is last years model, and is half the price of the current one. Great price, if I had the spare cash I'd buy a few to stick in the shed for spare parts. If your closest avanti store has any of last years left, they will likeley do a deal, when I bought mine I nearly rode out on a Scott full race spec carbon duallie with ALL the fruit,with a bunch of freebies, only reason I didn't is it wasn't suited to what I needed at the time..... Kicking myself now! However, I'm now happy to argue the point that a hardtail29er is the perfect all rounder bike, you can off-road with it, you can load it up with commuting crap, you can (fitness dependent) keep up with the roadies. I might sound like an avanti die hard, but I only ended up with it because the local giant dealer ran out of stock of the bike I wanted (2012 XTC hardtail 29er) and didn't seem too interested in helping me find something suitable (but again was willing to do a great deal on a super dooper full race spec duallie that was old stock from the year before...). Moral of the story, find the bike you want, then shop around to get last years model at half price :-)
mick243

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 pm

You can buy my old commuter for 100 bucks it's got marathon plus tyres on it message me if interested!
If you hang in there till November upgrade :)
newbikeorupgrade

Return to Buying a bike / parts