Giant TCR or Propel?

Giant TCR or Propel?

Postby dingo24 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 am

Hi,

Chasing some opinions from anyone who is riding a Giant Propel or TCr.

My 2011 TCR Advanced SL is broken again after a poor frame repair. I'm looking at replacing the bike with a Giant TCR SL or a Giant Propel Advanced 2 or Propel Advanced SL. I've been testing a Propel Advanced 2 and it's a great ride.. just a bit heavy (AT) 7.75kg.A TCR SL would be about 400 - 500gms lighter. I've had a quick run a madone 5.9 but prefer the Giant geometry and would prefer to stay with the Giant models. IT's hard to find a good Propel review online... most are a rehash of the Giant sales pitch.

Most of my riding is cyclosportifs, group runs through some hilly country /crosswinds. So my questions are:
Any thoughts on the latest Propel's vs TCR sl's?
Anyone know the weight difference between the Propel Advanced and Advacned SL models?
Is the SL worth the extra coin?

Thks.. Dingo
dingo24

by BNA » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 pm

BNA

Re: Giant TCR or Propel?

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 pm

The aero brakes on the Propel are widely criticised for being crap. Given you're not chasing those last few milliseconds around a racetrack, pick the TCR purely because of its vastly superior brakes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby Cmm » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Why not both? :) I had the same question a few months ago and was mainly directed towards the tcr sl.

A vast majority of advice was same as duck brakes but also versatility.

Disclaimer: I purchased 2 tcr sl's one for me and one for dad. And today have purchased a propel sl so soon will have them both.
Cmm

Postby deadrat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 pm

How often are you riding 40km/ph +.....or in solo breakaways in races? If the answer is not often (or at all) do not brother with the propel. The TCR will be a better all round bike in nearly every other scenario. Aero = marketing = hype.
deadrat

Postby R12RT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 am

I've had a Propel Advanced 1 now for about three weeks and covered about 850km.

For the most part it is a very nice bike to ride.

The brakes work fine. They are as powerful as caliper brakes with excellent modulation. However, I am finding they need frequent adjustment. Although this is a quick and easy exercise.

I am not a big fan of the wheels. The ps-slr1wheels are 50mm profile wheel. Gusty side winds are scary with these wheels. Also, I am not convinced of the benefit to performance with these wheels. I am planning to try the Swiss side Gotthards I have been using on my Oppy on the Propel.

Loving the di2!
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT

Postby dingo24 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm trialing at Advanced 2 with Zipp 404's at the moment. If I keep the Advacned 2 It'd etiher keep these or maybe go to C35 as I do a fair bit of hills.

R12RT... did you look at the SL model at all?
dingo24

Postby R12RT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:57 pm

dingo24 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm trialing at Advanced 2 with Zipp 404's at the moment. If I keep the Advacned 2 It'd etiher keep these or maybe go to C35 as I do a fair bit of hills.

No. I didn't look at the SL. It was over my $4000 budget. As it was the Advanced 1 was $3999.

I didn't really want to buy a Giant. But I loved the look of the Propel and for the money you get a lot of bike.
John Beaven
R12RT

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:18 am

I have an aero frame and I love it, Cervelo S5. However I think the aero effect of a frame aint that big. I've rolled alongside riders down hils on various bikes including TCR's. I dont really roll any quicker. Rider position has a much bigger bearing on aerodynamics than the frame.
I ride with a sponsored rider occasionally, who has the choice of propel or TCR and he much prefers the TCR for its more comfortable ride.
warthog1

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 am

R12RT wrote:
dingo24 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm trialing at Advanced 2 with Zipp 404's at the moment. If I keep the Advacned 2 It'd etiher keep these or maybe go to C35 as I do a fair bit of hills.

No. I didn't look at the SL. It was over my $4000 budget. As it was the Advanced 1 was $3999.

I didn't really want to buy a Giant. But I loved the look of the Propel and for the money you get a lot of bike.

At that level, the Propel is actually a quite heavy bike too - consider the aero factor versus the weight factor. I weighed a Propel and the dealer was rather horrified at the numbers, I just told him don't worry about it, I expected it would be like that. Consider in mind of course that I'm already as light as I can go.

The TCR is a very good bike. Mine is a TCR Advanced SL1 ISP 2014 model, but I've another lower model TCR before.

warthog1 wrote: Rider position has a much bigger bearing on aerodynamics than the frame.
I ride with a sponsored rider occasionally, who has the choice of propel or TCR and he much prefers the TCR for its more comfortable ride.

That's absolutely right - the position on the bike can make a few extra km/h.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Postby R12RT » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:10 pm

The Propel would be considered to be a little porky.

My M/L framed Propel weighs 8.2kg with pedals, cages, and bag. This is about 0.5kg less than my XL framed Oppy. Replacing the original wheels with the Swiss side Gotthards will drop the weight to 8kg.

I weigh 90kg so a kg on the bike is not of concern to me. If I was worried about weight I would be far better off losing 5kg off my weight.

Frame aerodynamics aren't really worth much once you add the unaerodynamic lump of a rider to it..

I bought the Propel because I like the way it rides and I like the way it looks. It is by far the best looking bike that Giant has produced IMO. Value for money also came into it too.

I didn't consider the TCR as I am not fond of the look of the bike. Flame me for that if you wish... :lol:
John Beaven
R12RT

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:26 pm

I am not sure if the Propels are any good. This fellow, Marcel Kittel is not a fan anyway.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BiciBoy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Running a TCR Advanced SL1 with DA9000 and Reynolds dish wheels.
Light, stiff, very fast.
Probably one of the best all round bikes going around.
BiciBoy

Return to Giant