Buying a Canyon

aive

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby aive » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Just bit the bullet and ordered Canyon AEROAD 8.0 Disc ($1K discount atm!) in a Medium. Slightly concerned about sizing as I currently ride a 56 Merida (L size).

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times. Wondering anyone who has purchased a canyon where happy with the results on the sizing of frame. I did the sizing check on the website never thought I would be a small size in frame.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:11 pm

I was close to pulling the trigger earlier this year.
Compare the geometry to your existing bike. I'm ML on a Giant (56), but M on a Canyon - stack/reach dimensions were very similar.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Buzz lightyear wrote:I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times. Wondering anyone who has purchased a canyon where happy with the results on the sizing of frame. I did the sizing check on the website never thought I would be a small size in frame.

Yep. Absolutely satisfied that I got the perfect fit. Though the sizing chart suggested an XS I compared the geometry to my BMC RM01 and that is closer to an S in the Canyon. So that is what I ordered. Spot on.

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks Zippy and Paul Looking at the ultimate cf slx.

aive

Postby aive » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Yeh I'm coming from a Merida Ride (comfort, relaxed geometry) to an Aeroad. Difficult to compare stack and reach directly.

But I calculated a few other parameters based on stack and reach incorporating my seat height - height and length from seat to handlbars. M seems like it'll be a good fit.

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:11 pm

The ultimate cf slx and the cf sl same geometry. wondering if there is a huge difference in frame construction.

I really like the new roadster brown colour on the ultimate cf sl.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:16 am

this thread active a bit lately. seems to be some sale going on (TDF?). still havent bought a (first) MTB, and now looking at the exceed entry model ($750 off!). problem is, can it, or would it possibly go any lower? ive been monitoring their sales/prices/range for a while now. they dont seem to revamp their range much. not on a yearly basis anyway.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/exceed ... l-6-9.html

for me its basically carbon or aluxx, where i was looking at the entry grand canyon, they used to have a 6.9 but axed it, now cheapest is 7.9, but this sale has the 8.9 for the same price (better grp set)

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/grand- ... l-8-9.html

seems to be better than the giant offering i was considering, the xtc advanced 3, 27.5+, so i could run 29er wheels as well (primarily probably). but im not sure if there are any downsides to doing this.

but the specs are shyte, so much mix n match and the fork is suntour crap, so virtually complete strip down and rebuild, which makes it more than the canyons (around 2200 on sale here).

looking like i will order, need a bit more motivation to get into trail riding though, and some more gear. but the big plus is no cars, the downside is riding to the trails (im not a car rack kind of guy really) on nobbly tyres and wearing them out 10x quicker i presume.

probably not the right forum to post MTB, maybe i try mtbr.com :P

im open to suggestions really as its a first bike. the logical thing to do would be spending less than 1k, but you dont get much for that kind of money, and i'm over riding bikes with the absolute cheapest groupsets. especially when it comes to braking.

other option is to build myself from a frame, but i dont know any good reputable frame only brands really, and that's infinitely more expensive probably. for a 1st bike where i dont know 100% how dedicated i'm going to be, might not be the best idea.

anyone got any discount codes for free shipping? :P yikes $200

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:55 am

That’s the only downside with Canyon, the shipping cost. It’s all good and well to say they sell direct to save the consumer but tacking on the $200 if buying RRP in way negates the saving imo. Especially when there’s discounts galore to be had from the B&M stores on other established brands if you shop around.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 pm

I thought the reason Canyon had an Aus warehouse now was to reduce shipping but I am obviously wrong

A few months ago I bought a mtn bike from hibike.com which they shipped for around $35 AUD from Germany. It was exceptionally well packed and took two weeks to arrive. As a bonus I didn't get charged the GST which saved me about $400.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:34 am

Just received my 2nd Canyon, (crashed and broke the first one :cry: ) ordered 27-6-17 arrived today 4-7-17 - Can't complain about that. :D

Both my other bikes are a 56 and the Medium is perfect.

I didn't even bother to look at any other brand as the Canyon is so good.

Stealth-Red
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/ultim ... x-9-0.html

aive

Postby aive » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm

jetglo wrote:Just received my 2nd Canyon, (crashed and broke the first one :cry: ) ordered 27-6-17 arrived today 4-7-17 - Can't complain about that. :D

Stealth-Red

Wow that is fast shipping. I just ordered on the weekend and it hasn't shipped yet (checking hourly!) ><

Thnx for info re sizing too :)

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Wow that is fast shipping. I just ordered on the weekend and it hasn't shipped yet (checking hourly!) ><

Took them 2 days to email me the tracking number... Keep on looking!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 pm

jetglo wrote:Just received my 2nd Canyon, (crashed and broke the first one :cry: ) ordered 27-6-17 arrived today 4-7-17 - Can't complain about that. :D

Stealth-Red

Niiiice.

Did you replace like for like or upgrade from your crashed bike?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:20 pm

im now thinking of getting a fat bike. maybe the canyon dude. the cheapest one has a rigid fork. im thinking it doesn't really matter? low pressures and tyres that wide i'd probably feel hardly anything anyway.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:00 am

Did you replace like for like or upgrade from your crashed bike?

I got the same frame as the crashed one but it has the latest DA and a different wheel set.

Is that the same bike :?: :?

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Canyon have some ripper deals been tempted on the ultimate cf slx disc brake. I keep going back to the the Cervelo R3 at my local LBS.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 am

Buzz lightyear wrote:Canyon have some ripper deals been tempted on the ultimate cf slx disc brake. I keep going back to the the Cervelo R3 at my local LBS.

Wow, okay, mental note - when buying a Canyon, save up for Tour de France time. Some of those discounts are massive!

I also like how they've split their road bike ranges into their respective families - CF SL, CF SLX, AL etc. Much neater and easier than having them all on the one huge page.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 am

its true these deals are pretty good, but actually the factory outlet sales are likely to be the best savings. however, this depends on what frame size you need and how much left over stock they have as new models are announced.

i might wait until later this year to see if they have a clearance sale on models i want.

Peety117

Postby Peety117 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi all

First time poster. Looking at buying a Endurace CF 7.0 as my norco threshold a2 is a bit heavy on the hills (11.8kgs, will be relegated to a commuter/trainer). Still a bit undecided and wondering if a Giant TCR Advanced 2 would be a better value choice ($300 cheaper, but 400g heavier). But I do like the fact that the Canyon has a 32-11, and the standard conti GP 4000s. Was originally looking at the Alu models but all sold out in my size and I figure 2018 will be rolling out soon so better make use of the current sale!

Cheers

willigan

Postby willigan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Buzz lightyear wrote:Canyon have some ripper deals been tempted on the ultimate cf slx disc brake. I keep going back to the the Cervelo R3 at my local LBS.

just bit the bullet on the CF SLX 8.0 disc - 1300 dollars off standard price couldn't resist.

hopefully rides as nice as it looks

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm

willigan wrote:

just bit the bullet on the CF SLX 8.0 disc - 1300 dollars off standard price couldn't resist.

Any info on the delivery date. Not bad savings on the cf slx 8.0 disc. I called the head office yesterday asked a few questions.

willigan

Postby willigan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Buzz lightyear wrote:
willigan wrote:

Any info on the delivery date. Not bad savings on the cf slx 8.0 disc. I called the head office yesterday asked a few questions.

Was shipped today after ordering on the 9th. Pretty happy with that turnaround.

Estimated delivery next week. So just over a week from order to delivery (hopefully)

aive

Postby aive » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Shipping is fast - Mine took 6 days to arrive from Germany!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:35 pm

I just learned that the yellow Mavic neutral service bikes are Canyon, apparently Ultimate CF and some Aeroad