Bike carriers

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:05 am

So far rear mounting is coming out a winner.

Roof mounting - Thousands of dollars damage and higher insurance premiums.

Rear mounting - The possibility of a rear ender. I've been hit from behind once and that was way back in 1982.

I'm going rear mounting at this stage especially since I do park under the house.

cpaton

Bike Rack

Postby cpaton » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:50 pm

I read the 2 pages of posts about roof mounting and rear mounting bike racks. What does everyone think of this particular brand of rear mounting device - http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/bicycle ... er26122006

Any thoughts?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:53 pm

Go back to page 1 and read the first post from Rider06 and the half dozen immediately after it - they were discussing that style of carrier, though not necessarily that particular model. I can't help with model specific thoughts I'm afraid.

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:50 pm

I've got the one rider06 linked to (the Cellbikes one), holds three onto my Commodore wagon without problems, you've just got to learn the best way of securely attaching the rack. A cut up pool noodle and some occy straps stops things bouncing about too much.

Number plates? We doan need no stinkin' number plates.

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:05 pm

I had a look at what my brother in law uses as a bike rack. It's custom made.
I have some photos but they're on my daughters camera and I can't them until she gets back from holidays.

The front wheel is removed and the forks attach to the frame via a quick release and the rear wheel sits in angle and is held with a velcro strap.
It's basic and it works. It's been used to carry two bikes all over Victoria and to Adelaide and back.
It had one of those square pegs to attach to the tow bar but could be built for a regular ball tow bar.

I made up a few diagrams. I post the photos in a few weeks.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 am

I know this thread is a little stale, but I'd like to ask what people think of this style of bike rack?

Which is http://www.thule.com.au/show_content2.p ... 37474.aspx I believe.

I'm told it folds down to a size roughly that of a camp chair.

I'm thinking about getting one.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:50 am

pugsly wrote:I know this thread is a little stale, but I'd like to ask what people think of this style of bike rack?

You don't have much choice when it's a soft top. It obviously works and Thule is a highly reputable brand.

Read the pros and cons discussion on the previous page b/n over the roof and rear mounted racks. Personal call.

BTW, legally he'll need to move his number plate as it'll be obstructed. There's also the issue with rear indicator lights.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:54 am

sogood wrote:
pugsly wrote:I know this thread is a little stale, but I'd like to ask what people think of this style of bike rack?
You don't have much choice when it's a soft top. It obviously works and Thule is a highly reputable brand.

Read the pros and cons discussion on the previous page b/n over the roof and rear mounted racks. Personal call.
I guess it's more a question of the rack attaching directly to the tow ball v bolted under the tow ball as the previous posts suggest. At first glance, I felt uncomfortable at the idea and I was wondering if anyone else had experience with a rack that attaches in such a way.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm

I wouldn't consider it unless you NEED it to fold up to stow away. There is an immense amount of stress on a bike carrier and to my mind, the simpler the better. Anything that folds has extra places to break. Anything that needs to be fitted around the ball has a fitting that can break. Having said, that, if the thing is engineered correctly, it should be okay but if you don't need it to fold up, why take the risk?

I've got a wagon and my carrier lives in the back. It's less trouble than the two chairs it shares that space with but if your space in the boot is limited, a folder might make more sense. You don't have to carry it around with you all the time (I do because it's easier than walking up to the shed) but I'm wary about leaving it on the back of an unattended car - sticky fingers and all that.

Richard

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:36 pm

Goes back to the brand. Thule, one rack company that you can truly trust.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:37 pm

I'm now looking at a bike carrier for our cars and have found this old thread. A bit of looking in the bike shops and they seem to carry the 'bolt it on permanently under the tow ball' variety or the deluxe 'several hundred dollar' model. A bit more digging and sniffing on Ebay and I turned up Stanfred Metal Products. A quick email and it seems that SuperCheap and Repco are the suppliers in WA. I'm calling in at a store on the way home today to have a look at one.

Is anybody familiar with this model of carrier and have any tales of joy or woe with it? From what I have seen it appears to be well made, is easy to remove and offers an option to lean forward to allow access into the back of a wagon.

At the moment I can only see the need to carry 2 bikes and possibly 3. 4 is also a possibility, so if not too much bigger and more expensive, I'm leaning towards the 4 bike rack. Obviously the heaviest bike will go closest to the car, and then you can have a '1 bike space' clearance to the 2nd bike.

Must be off... and I will report back a bit later.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

glawrence2000

Re: Bike carriers

Postby glawrence2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:36 am

[quote]Don't get me started about trying to get a battery for a cordless phone at Dick Smith today. I'm a qualified electronic guy and they know nothing. They couldn't even spell elektronik! Anyhow, back to the issue.[/quote]

Mate, Have you heard of RS Components or WES components (both googleble and they have every battery (or other offbeat thing you could wish for). Failing the JAYCAR ususally have most things and the staff are a bit more cluey than the DSE chaps.
Gerard
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:17 am

Double-Gee wrote:I turned up Stanfred Metal Products. A quick email and it seems that SuperCheap and Repco are the supplier
Which model where you looking at? Did you get anything?

Regards
Andrew

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:Which model where you looking at? Did you get anything?
I decided that money was to be no limit and spent the extra $10 on getting the BC4T (4 bike carrier). I had a look in SuperCheap and Repco and found SuperCheap to be $1 cheaper. Follow-up emails to Stanfred told me that Repco have stock or can access the spare parts that are available.

A spare baseplate is also available (SP-BASEPLATE) so a baseplate can be put on 2 vehicles and the rack moved between them.
The 'bike carrier number plate light' (BCNPL) was a bonus as it normally retails for $30 and was on clearance for $7 (3 or 4 left in stock if you are in WA and quick). This needs assembly and wiring and you can purchase the relevant plug to go in a trailer socket. I will see about making a brake/tail light but won't rush into getting an additional number plate just yet. :twisted:
My local Repco had to order one in (came the next day), but there seemed to be some confusion as they charged me the SuperCheap 3 bike price for a 4 bike model. ($109). I didn't complain.

I've only done a few kms (out to the Carinyah Trail and back) on Sunday and it looks pretty good so far. All seems sturdy and robust and minimal 'slop'. Easy to put the bike on and off, handy 'drop down' feature, and easy to remove from the car. I like it. :D

The fitting on the back of the car is quite large but shiny & gold coloured so I should not hit it. (The wife and her many bruises is another story though :( )

I will get some pics and post them up here - hopefully soon.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa