Bike carrier/ rack for car

liamb

Bike carrier/ rack for car

Postby liamb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:31 am

Hi All.

Just got rid of my ute and now have a SUV style station wagon and no longer have the space to carry my road bike and MTB together or take the MTB, the kids bikes and the dog away for weekends. (kids bikes are for 5 year olds)
Any suggestions for a method and brands/ types for carrying the bikes. I have a tow bar and roof racks, having said that the roof is at about the 2m high mark and i am vertically challenged.

Cheers

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

silentbutdeadly

Re: Bike carrier/ rack for car

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:53 am

Silly you! I would be lost without the ute...

ISI Carriers or Gripsport. Both are towball carriers, excellent quality and both made in Oz.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:34 am

Yeah silly me, I will miss it but all i only seemed to use it to move mates houses. :mrgreen: and its a business vehicle that was hard to justify and required a new car to maximise the tax benefit.

Cheers
for the links, will have to contact these guys to see if kids bikes fit.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Torpedo 7 platform rack, tow ball mount 3or4 bike models supports the wheels, doesn't hang on the frame.. Like a gripsport or isi carrier, but definately a more budget option.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:29 pm

I just bought this carrier and its really good quality. For the money, I am very happy.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/3-bik ... YT-85643-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:13 pm

I reckon there must be hundreds of owners with roof mounted racks that have trashed their expensive bikes on the carport roof in a moment of distraction.

I bought a fairly sophisticated rear rack for my daughter. What we chose is a breeze to remove and to refit and adjust. In particular is had to not be easily removable without cutting equipment of some sort so we went a fair way above base pricing.

Looking at the image below I reckon this was it. By recollection there were two and three bike variants and choice of widths for either a small car (Excels etc) and larger vehicles. Adjustement and tensioning is by a pair of one-way click-rotating knobs (see the grey dial at the centre) which cannot be untensioned without the key. High tensile multicored cable that is hard to cut with pliars or blades. Also does not require the extra two cables and clips that others have to maintain lateral stability when travelling.

My daughter who disdains looking after her stuff and stores things outside for the weather to attack has not yet experienced any problems. It looks ugly! But it ticks the boxes for durability, security and ease.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Six13

Postby Six13 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:20 pm

liamb wrote:Hi All.

Just got rid of my ute and now have a SUV style station wagon and no longer have the space to carry my road bike and MTB together or take the MTB, the kids bikes and the dog away for weekends. (kids bikes are for 5 year olds)
Any suggestions for a method and brands/ types for carrying the bikes. I have a tow bar and roof racks, having said that the roof is at about the 2m high mark and i am vertically challenged.

Cheers

Bill
Shame you are in SA as I am selling a towbar bike frame rack thing viewtopic.php?f=25&t=76384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;