Wheelset for around $400 Swiss side,Prolite,fulcrum ?????

SheikYerbouti

Re: Wheelset for around $400 Swiss side,Prolite,fulcrum ????

Postby SheikYerbouti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:05 am

jacks1071 wrote: Good question, although the standard model is considered fine for most users up to 100kg - At this point in time, I would be at least considering the HD model from about 85kg upwards.
Why's that? If the standard a27 is fine for a 90kg recreational rider, what are the benefits in exchange for a more expensive, heavier, wheel? I don't want to sound argumentative, I'm really interested to ensure I make an informed choice.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:40 am

I think the choice caters for two different mind sets - one that will risk the lighter option to save weight (and money?), and the other that will spend a little more and cop a (minor) weight penalty to lower the likelihood of failure.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

qranked

Postby qranked » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:44 am

I'm on Corsa Vueltas. Highly recommended for the price (any price, more you pay, less weight you get down to about 1350g). I'm 65kg though, so don't know how they hold up in higher weight brackets.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:24 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I think the choice caters for two different mind sets - one that will risk the lighter option to save weight (and money?), and the other that will spend a little more and cop a (minor) weight penalty to lower the likelihood of failure.
Cyclotaur is pretty much on the money, it'll very much be a personal choice.

The price on the "standard" model will increase pretty soon after which time the gap to the HD will only be $80 extra.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:46 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:
jacks1071 wrote: Good question, although the standard model is considered fine for most users up to 100kg - At this point in time, I would be at least considering the HD model from about 85kg upwards.
Why's that? If the standard a27 is fine for a 90kg recreational rider, what are the benefits in exchange for a more expensive, heavier, wheel? I don't want to sound argumentative, I'm really interested to ensure I make an informed choice.
At 90kg you're getting close to the recommended maximum weight.

I'm happy to supply you with either option, the new model is about that - more options. What you need to decide is if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of weight in exchange for more stiffness and greater durability?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:03 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
MattyK wrote:Adding to this: Prolite A27 vs BDOP kit? 100 g vs wider rim and cheaper (assuming I can manage to buildcthem myself - not afraid to try)
I have both- that is a hard question to answer, the A27 is zippier, probaby due to the higher spoke tension but rougher, the BDOP kit is smoother due to the wider rim and lower spoke tensions (both wheelsets running 25mm contis). As for quality the BDOP kit is virtually identical quality wise to the A27 BUT needs to be built up properly.

Minor items- the A27 has aero spokes the BDOPs don't (still Sapims though), while the wider rim (XC279) is IMHO better due to being wider allowing a better tyre footprint. The A27 rear hub has the needle bearing in the freehub, the BDOP doesn't. As to longevity- watch this space for both wheelsets.
Oh and I have broken a rear A27- but was an incident with a crack in the PSP and was covered by Main Roads, and broken a spoke on the BDOPs- picked up a stick.

Edit- Strava tells me no difference in performance also
Okay- give the BDOP wheels a miss- I found the rear rim is cracking - midway between the nipples- PoC. Won't even bother with warranty and have ordered an Archetype rim to build onto the hub.

EDIT - won't bother with the warranty as I can see the response on a customer built wheelset- incorrectly built/tensioned spokes even though they were professionally built. Will be sticking with the hubs though as I haven't had a Novatec hub die as of yet and they few I know of that had issues had >20K underneath them
Last edited by CXCommuter on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 pm

weird. Haven't heard of issues with the Kinlin rims before. With the drop in the dollar (and subsequent increase in cost of the BDOPs) I have been looking at the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels. Wide 23mm rims (though not as deep), similar weight, and clean looks at the hubs (though that means non standard spokes...)

Crooty18

Postby Crooty18 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I'm finding this thread very interesting. I've just started into this road cycling thing and bought a second hand carbon frame bike with "new" wheels on it. They are RS20 shimano's. If I were to upgrade to some of the afore mentioned wheel sets would I notice any benefits. I ride on country roads that seem quite coarse and a little bumpy. I'm still having trouble understanding which is better but I do like the spoke patterns of the campagnolo Zonda's. Sorry if this is high jacking but this price range is where I was looking to start at? Seemed silly to start another thread.
Thanks
Crooty18

craigg

Postby craigg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:37 pm

I've had two sets now of the Bracciano - the first lasted 5 years without a broken spoke, nipple or needing truing. The second set was an A27 I bought November last year as the sidewalls were getting scarily thin on the first ones. All good for the first 12 months and then nipples started breaking. The first two nipples broke whilst I was away for work - one each on the front wheel and back wheel whilst the bike was sitting in the garage. Since then they've broken 8 nipples - each nipple has sheared identically at the base, both drive and non-drive sides, front and rear. Three out of eight sheared whilst riding, the other 5 while the bike was in the garage. I'm currently RMA'ing them back to Wiggle (They have an Australian returns address) so hopefully they'll exchange and I happened to get a set with a bad batch of nipples. I weigh 70kg so well within the weight limit.

Fantastic wheelset for the money though and I love them.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Sounds like they used spokes that were too short...

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Crooty18 wrote:I'm finding this thread very interesting. I've just started into this road cycling thing and bought a second hand carbon frame bike with "new" wheels on it. They are RS20 shimano's. If I were to upgrade to some of the afore mentioned wheel sets would I notice any benefits. I ride on country roads that seem quite coarse and a little bumpy. I'm still having trouble understanding which is better but I do like the spoke patterns of the campagnolo Zonda's. Sorry if this is high jacking but this price range is where I was looking to start at? Seemed silly to start another thread.
Thanks
Crooty18
Upgrading from the RS20's (and they are R.S. - I own a set that I hate so much they have yet to hit 400k's,and I've had 'em for near 7 years. Can't even sell the damn things!) you will notice a HUGE difference. The RS roll slow,weigh in at around 2kg "naked" (and manage to feel much,much heavier) and don't much like cornering. And they're uncomfortable bastards too.

Don't know jack about the others mentioned here,but I can happily recommend Zonda's. I've got a 2008 set with over 20,000k's on 'em,and a 2014 set with around 6,000 on. Great handling,roll fast-ish (I have had other wheels that roll faster,though they did cost more lol),you'll never need to true the front,and whilst the rear will need to be trued from time-to-time,it's easy enough.

Saw Ribble selling the Zonda's for about $385 delivered,though that was a Campy-only job. Wiggle are around the $400 mark at present,well worth it I reckon. :)
formerly the fat climber

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:21 am

Thought i'd jump into this thread with a question.

I keep seeing new or nearly new Cosmic Elites for sale at around the $300-$350 mark. At that price are they worth it? Looking at them as a pair of good training wheels and for races where i dont want to put my deeper comsmics on (50mm carbones)

The wheels on my bike at the moment are Oval Concept 330s and at ~1900g for the pair they're pretty heavy.

I've been tossing up getting a pair of RS81 C35s for a while but they're twice the price and change more than the Cosmics are going for.

Nelson356

Postby Nelson356 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:35 pm

I personally would not recommend the Mavic Cosmic Elites they relatively heavy at ~ 1800g and probably not particularly aero. You can get a set of pro lite braccianos or shimano ultra 6800 or campagnolo zondas for about $400 and they will weigh about 1550-1650g. I have ridden all three and they are very similar and i would recommend getting whats cheapest at the time.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 am

Well this 90kg rider just got some Bracciano A27s. Hopefully I'll be dropping under 90 in the next couple of months, so we'll see how they go...