Buying a Gravel Grinder

CKinnard

Re: Buying a Gravel Grinder

Postby CKinnard » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm

mitchy_ wrote:what ETT and head tube length are you after? that might help us to help you.

my TCX for the same size ETT has a shorter head tube than the CAADX, so i'd suggest you look at more CX bikes!
I'm used to an ETT 57.4cm which is Trek Madone H2 = relaxed road bike geometry for a 58cm frame.
I have the stem slammed most of the time, but if I was doing a lot of hills and >130k, I'd raise it 1cm.
I've adapted to a 130mm stem from stock 110mm over a few years and losing 15-20kg.

I prefer to use stack height rather than head tube length, the former being 59.8cm on my Trek. As indicated above, I could go to 61cm for enduro rides
The head tube is 19cm for interest.

So for a gravel bike, I'd like to stay around the 57.5cm ETT. I can always use a shorter stock stem.
I've had some criticism for not 'getting' what adventure/gravel riding is and wanting this ETT.
However, as I've said above, in the real world, I won't be doing 100% gravel/adventure. In all likelihood, I'll be doing mostly tarmac and 5-10% off trails/gravel.
I also like to cruise around 35kph, and regularly do 35-40 for fitness.
And as I alluded above, I've get a lot more low back pain when sitting up high and riding slower.
I've ridden over 10,000km pa for the last 10 years, so have a good understanding of what is best for my body today, but more importantly, I am aware of how my mind and body will age over the coming 10 years....which is why I want a durable all purpose bike rather than a pure roadie.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:52 pm

fair enough.

i know you're not after alloy or carbon, but the large TCX has a 57.5cm ETT, 17.5cm head tube and a stack of 59.7cm according to my calculator...
specialized crux is 57cm, 17cm and 59.7cm respectively as well, but again carbon. :lol:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks mitchy. I was just looking at Giant's geometry, which I had to convert from inches off their Australian website! and note the reasonable match. Even though I'd prefer cromoly, I could still impulsively run out and buy alloy.

I'm surprised stack is way lower on some cx bikes. i.e the CAADX is 2cm lower, which is baffling. Suppose younger guys would be more comfortable with a flatter back angle, even when racing CX.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Giant's info can be very hit and miss at the best of times... :shock: when i bought my TCX i had to guess/approximate some figures into my geometry calculator to compare it to my existing bikes.

some of the CX geometry is all over the shop. i've seen some bloody aggressive CX bikes of late... wonder whether it's functional or purely for looks...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 pm

FWIW an XL Focus CX frame will go close to what you want in TT - it does have a short headtube though - the increased fork length kind of makes up for it. I ride CAAD10s in 58cm (575mm TT) and my Focus Mares in XL is almost exactly the same set up..

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL