Road Cycling Newbie Seeks Advice on Bike Selection

jcannon43

Road Cycling Newbie Seeks Advice on Bike Selection

Postby jcannon43 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi all,

I am almost 40 years of age and losing my fitness due to a lack of exercise as I am tied to a computer at work all day and struggle to find dedicated time to exercise due to family commitments etc (same old story)... I figure the best way to get the exercise in is to commute to work each day by bike... I currently have a near 10-year-old Giant Yukon MTB, which runs very well... My daily commute is only a 12.5km round trip, some hills, but nothing I would call serious, takes about 18 mins each way travelling at an average of 25-26km/h... They are a couple of sprints, pretty much...

Any way, after a couple of weeks of exercise on the bike I feel like a million dollars... Oh, I forgot to mention that I am, ahrrr was, a motorcycle enthusiast but recently slow my pride and joy due to the wifey's constant nag about safety and the fact it was costing about $1000 a year for rego and insurance... The pushy seems to be a great replacement for the motorised version... Gives me that needed 'me' time...

As such, I am seriously considering permanently losing the car keys, upgrading the MTB to something more, well.... efficient, and biking where ever possible,rain, hail or shine... I don't belong to a cycling club... This will be a commuter only (work, shops, weekly sport, etc)

I have done some research and I am down to two options: Trek Boone 5 or the Trek Domane 4.3 disc.. 98% of my riding will be on the road, the other 2% will be on footpath, grass, or other residential surface that will allow me to keep the legs rolling over and avoid traffic lights and anything else that will make me stop.

Any advice on these two options? Would you suggest I look at anything else?... My local dealer options are limited (trek, cannondale, avanti, specialized, apollo)

All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

redsonic

Re: Road Cycling Newbie Seeks Advice on Bike Selection

Postby redsonic » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Jack,
Welcome to the forum, and to cycling in general. I can't help you with info about the 2 bikes you are considering, but would suggest you may have put your question in the wrong place.
You have posted in "Stolen Bikes" but would be better off asking your question in the Buying a bike/parts thread.
You could either repost your question there, or ask the mods to move it for you.
Plenty of motorcylists on here; no need to be apologetic! There is a Motorbike thread on here in the Halfway Cafe. I hate to break it to you, but in my experience, cycling is potentially more dangerous than motorcycling as there are far more interactions with vehicles which you can't control (i.e., cars passing you from behind). You are also even less respected, and less "seen". No need to tell your other half this, though :wink:
Once again, welcome, and have fun with your purchase.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 am

Admin / mods may move...

Jack - they seem like decent rigs for what you wish to do.

Also check cyclocross (CX) bikes out in general - they are great all-round bikes.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Ridley Noah-R Team

jcannon43

Postby jcannon43 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks for the replies...

Yes, not sure why/how I posted here...? Was meant to be in bike/parts thread...

I do have a number friends that cycle that have a many a war story and occasional permanent reminder of their interactions on the road... Bloody cagers! No body is safe.

I love the idea of the cyclocross, a little more 'robust' (although I do treat my equipment very well)... But the increased rolling resistance/friction from the wider tyres is somewhat of a concern for me, although I admit I have no idea of the practical effect this will have on performance given the bikes intended purpose (i.e. fast, but solid commuter only; not for competition).

If a stand road tyre is 24mm, how narrow can you get with a cyclocross tyre should one wish to change tryes at some point in the future?

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:32 pm

I just bought a Merida Ride Disc 7000, which you can get for around $2.4k on special at the moment. Similar style of bike, but Ultegra drive train. Worth a look.

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/ro ... -3271.html
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Also I think the brakes on the Domane are cable activated - the Merida has the newish Shimano hydraulic shifters.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:00 pm

jcannon43 wrote:Thanks for the replies...

Yes, not sure why/how I posted here...? Was meant to be in bike/parts thread...

I do have a number friends that cycle that have a many a war story and occasional permanent reminder of their interactions on the road... Bloody cagers! No body is safe.

I love the idea of the cyclocross, a little more 'robust' (although I do treat my equipment very well)... But the increased rolling resistance/friction from the wider tyres is somewhat of a concern for me, although I admit I have no idea of the practical effect this will have on performance given the bikes intended purpose (i.e. fast, but solid commuter only; not for competition).

If a stand road tyre is 24mm, how narrow can you get with a cyclocross tyre should one wish to change tryes at some point in the future?

Mate, do not worry one bit about increased rolling resistance on a CX rig.

I run mine with CX tyres - 35mm wide, which are more tarmac oriented than gravel / dirt and they enable me to ride moderately quick bunch rides - average a tad over 30Kph. You can also mount road tyres to the same wheelset - yes, CX bikes use 700c wheelsets the same as road bikes - and go quicker.

I own three road bikes, an MTB and a CX bike and the MOST flexible bike is the CX - and often the more fun!

As I said, do a bit of online reading and go and look at a few different types of bikes - then you'll know just what you're looking for.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Ridley Noah-R Team

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:56 pm

jcannon43 wrote: But the increased rolling resistance/friction from the wider tyres is

....a load of bollocks.

Tyre design (side wall suppleness in particular) has a lot larger impact on speed than width. OTOH Width has a huge impact on comfort.

Further, if you're going to commute, you'll very rapidly discover The Joy of Mudguards.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Yep, if you're committing to it every day, get a bike that can fit (full length) mudguards, and a rack for panniers. Most CX frames are perfect for this. Swap the tyre for Schwalbe Marathons or similar and you're all set.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:45 pm

CX bikes are lots of fun - you can ride them to work, run around on the dirt like an old-style mountain bike, tour with them and do road rides. As others have said, CX bikes will take tyres from 35mm+ down to 23-21mm slicks. I run 28s (Gatorskins) as well as 35 dirt tyres. With the 28s on the bike could easily do group rides and probably do OK in the 2nd fastest grade in a typical 4-grade roadie club, as well as being a great commuter/tourer/shopping bike.

As far as the danger goes, ,my wife and I have been commuting most days for well over a decade together (as well as normally shopping by bike) and neither of us has ever been hurt by a cage. I did have a back wheel hurt by a bus when I was a courier and I was doored once, but that's it. Stats I've seen indicate that cycling is safer than motorbiking - you may cop more injuries but your chances of dying are less - in fact overall cycling will increase your life expectancy because of the health benefits.

PS - IMHO you may struggle to get the same performance with the Marathons. They are incredibly durable but my wife and I both noticed how much slower her CX bike (which is the higher-spec version of mine) felt when it had Marathons compared to my Gatorskin 28s and her current 28s. The Marathons are amazingly tough, though- they outlasted her Ultegra cassette! It's all a matter of personal taste.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

jcannon43

Postby jcannon43 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks for that..

Next question... How rude it is if I buy a bike from a dealer out of town (as local dealers only sell trek and a couple of other brands); but then take it to them for servicing?

frankn

Postby frankn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:04 am

jcannon43 wrote:Thanks for that..

Next question... How rude it is if I buy a bike from a dealer out of town (as local dealers only sell trek and a couple of other brands); but then take it to them for servicing?

Shouldn't matter at all, however I would ask your favourite LBS if they can get your favoured bike for you. Be honest with them, tell them how much you can get it for and from where. You may be suprised, if they can get within a reasonable $ amount then why not purchase from them?
On another note, fitness, have you thought about your work area? Ask your employer if they would consider you having a "sit/stand" work station. That will help your fitness and is very good for you. I use two side-by-side and do not sit down at all. Builds strength and fitness.